How did you find SotA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Someone pointed me to the Kickstarter... I have NO recollection of who that might have been, though Denis Loubet is a prime suspect.
    That man has cost me a Lot of money... with not an insignificant portion of it actually going to him. :)

2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I actually remember seeing some info about early on and I wish I had jumped on it. I didn't see it again until about 2.4 years ago, jumped in a few weeks after they ended the really good benefits for pledging too.

Proteus Tempest and Barugon like this.
  3. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

kickstarter. I believe I found it on day 2 or 3 of the event. Been here from R1 all the way through :D

One of the biggest selling points for me was it runs on Linux!

Barugon likes this.
  4. mute209

mute209 Avatar

Same here :)

Barugon and Oakenhammer like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Same.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  6. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

PFF... All you guys who found out about it during kickstarter are cute. I was a massive Ultima / Lord British fan. I knew about the game before it was even going to be called "Shroud of the Avatar". Lord British had made a website to bring some hype to the new game and included a manifesto called the " Ultimate RPG" which contained a lot of what he thought an ultimate RPG would contain. In fact the manifesto almost made it sound like he would be making a social game through Facebook but fortunately it was a proper PC game. I remember reading a news interview way back in 2012 or early 2013 that he was either going to call the new game Akalabeth, Ultimate RPG or a third name that he chooses not to disclose at this time. Then his website had a countdown timer to the kickstarter campaign and everything else is history...

Barugon likes this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Pony Friends Forever? Excuse us... We, the cute, bow before your superior ePeen, Bronie. ;)
    I think there was either a Facebook or Tablet/Phone game in concept. And people often speak of something called "Ultima Collector" or something similar.

Barugon likes this.
  8. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

Haha , yes well.. Certainly I speak in tounge and cheek also please don't be offended by my original post :p

Yes I believe you are correct, maybe even using unity engine as you can make phone and tablet games in unity also, however the scope of shroud of avatar would be almost impossible to achieve with current phone / tablet technology. So may have resulted in Lord British deciding on PC first and then 10 years or so down the line porting to tablet.

All Hail Lord British!
    (Rides off into the distance on my colourful pony)

Barugon likes this.
  9. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

Yes also I remember "Ultimate Collector" this and also another Texas holdem game were supposedly built as a way to test the tech and would form the "backbone" of Lord British's next Ultimate RPG. I guess they decided against Facebook / mobile games. Probably for good reason. Although a more simple 3D isometric game would look sweet especially if I can ride around on a pony

Barugon likes this.
  10. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I was on the internet, doing a post here, and update there. . ended up in the deep web reading over some fascinating ancient documents, had this feeling that there was something more. .felt something calling to me. .then poof I was here :D :D

Nah really, I was reading some gaming websites and saw someone mentioning the kickstarter and that led me to the kickstarter page :D

Barugon and Lained like this.
  11. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

I looked for hardcore mmorpg by EU or US developer only which have a chance to live dozens of years, there is not so much alternatives in this plane now :)

Barugon likes this.
  12. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Old UO player here. I smelled SoTA back when it was first released, like a dorkish 6th sense. Didn’t join until last year though because I had been waiting for Taming to become a thing.

Barugon likes this.
  13. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I had never played MMO's before and a friend bugged me endlessly to try UO (During Renaissance). I might has well have started using crack. It was a wonderful keyboard addiction but as time moved on, I think it was 6 years or so I was ready to move on to something different.

I tried Anarchy Online. The graphics were not to my liking but it was neat but also very basic in it's beginning.

I tried Lord of the Rings online. The graphics were good but I did not like the way magic items and weapons were set up and housing could have gone farther but the devs really never responded to the players ( IMO) and the fishing system was just dead (it could have been so much more). I liked the game and the players in Shadow Company but I had to move on.

I was looking for UO again. That Garriott dude knows how to build games.

I then tried Age of Conan Unchained. This was a hardcore game. I only played on the PvP servers. I'm not much of a PvPer but thats where the most excitement was. Sadly the PvP servers were thin on population which has its pro's and con's. Violent PvP. It was brutal. Topless women straight from the Conan art like Frank Frazetta.
    Sadly there was no housing for single players, and crafting just was not that good. The magic items and weapons were so very cookie cutter and even with topless women I had to search further.

My searching on google included the words MMO, Housing and occasionally Garriott and one day I came upon the Kickstarter information on someones webpage talking about Richard Garriott and Shroud of the Avatar.

I looked into it around R9 or so I think and I pledged a low level pledge and started playing around R10. Just enough time to get the first quest Cavalier Hat. A little time went on and found I could pay over time for the larger accounts so now here I am a Founder Lord Marshall, the Governor of Tempest Reef and in the Moongate Travelers guild with a bunch of great and crazy people.

I've got Garriott, Long and the other Devs back (and more), I've got Garriott's famous housing back, Fishing is on the horizon, a crafting/magic system on the horizon that syncs with the alignment of planets ( a desire of Garriott's from way back) and so much more is on the way.

This game is gonna rock.

Barugon, Jaesun and Rhiannon like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL. :) :oops:

15. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Kickstarter. All about the same time: Steve Jackson, Chris Roberts and Lord British.

Barugon likes this.
  16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Do you have a Big Ass (tm) box o' OGRE too?

17. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.