(POLL) Regional Moongate, Fast travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hurricane, May 4, 2018.

?

Would you like to see moongate fast travel created?

1. YES

15 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. NO

35 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. I want runebooks with markable locations!

25 vote(s)
    33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

Hello everyone,

I created a post a few days ago on the wish list section of the forums about regional moongates and fast travel with many responses for and against.

After all the discussions I have flushed the idea out a bit more and would like to see how everyone feels about the idea.

Regional Moongate locations:

Each gate would be placed and accessible from the overland map of Novia.

Note:
    Islands have been exempt from the list due to boat travel to these locations.

Drachvald
    Forsaken Vale
    Grunvald
    Hidden Vale
    Longfall
    Midmaer
    North Paladis
    Perennial Coast
    Quel
    Regalis
    South Paladis
    Verdantis

How they would operate:

1. Regional moongates would allow travel from gate to gate.
    2. A teleport scroll must be used each time you travel to a new location.
    3. (min) adventure level to use a moongate is 45.
    4. Moongates cannot be used if you are over weight.
    5. Tamed and summoned pets travel with the owner freely at no cost.
    6. Once a moongate is used a 10 min timer is placed and cannot be used again until time has expired.

Lets face it, at some point if new lands are created I would like to see an additional form of fast travel that doesn't interfere with the core function of the game.

The friends list can still be used to travel, the control points can still be used, recalls can still be used and young players can explore there own region before using them and venturing out into the great unknown.

Let me know what you think! :)

Thank you,
    Hurricane

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It should be no surprise to anyone that's been around for any length of time that I voted No.

If I had my wish the Teleport Scroll would cease to exist.

In my biased and immodest opinion the Lunar Rifts are fine as they are. With that system and the Recall Scroll as it is Currently Implemented we have the sum-total of the Fast Travel options that are required and desirable.

All of this has happened before, and it will happen again.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Onyx, Bow Vale, Daigoji Gai and 3 others like this.
  3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Fast travel is used more often than just running somewhere already.

If you were gonna turn a teleport scroll into a lunar rift scroll they would need to be more costly.

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Why not just a drop down list to select the scene to which you wish to travel and a second drop down to select the desired location?
    Or would all that clicking and scrolling take too much time?

By Tor, alioth and Black Tortoise like this.
  5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

When the Teleport and Recall Scrolls were first proposed as a feature, the scrolls were advertised as being Expensive to Make so that they would be Rare and only Occasionally Used.
    That isn't true.

Rentier, alioth and Black Tortoise like this.
  6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Correct. They drop fairly often as loot and folks make and sell em for 150 each

7. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Whether they're a good idea or not, moon gates on the overworld map would be much more functional than the lunar rifts because you could go somewhere without having to load and run through the instance with the rift, load and run through the other instance with the rift, and load the map to get to the same place.

I'm not really big on all the specifics in the OP, but I wouldn't mind having something like that. The portal to hidden vale is pretty cool and has a bit of a nostalgic feel to it.

8. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I wouldnt say recalls or teleports drop enough to be reliably used. At least, not for T5 and under content. They do drop surprisingly often, but they are quite trivial to make in bulk, so imo the drop rate is negligible in comparison.

9. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

I just don't get why traveling needs to be a pain. (In my opinion it is).

With that said if I have teleport scrolls and a person on my friends list in an area I want to go I wont waste my time running across the map dealing with load screens and mobs crossing the barriers.

This isn't a necessity which I have stated in the past it's a convenience I would like to have.

FrostII and Budner like this.
  10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

We already have fast travel. It's called the Overworld.

Elwyn, Daigoji Gai, By Tor and 6 others like this.
  11. Sher Shadowleaf

Sher Shadowleaf Avatar

I definitely think something needs to be done about the sieges and how they affect travel. Not all of us only travel to one spot for the hunting day, or a couple of spots. I run in and out of towns, a lot in Aerie to the deco merchant, especially when I'm decorating several different places, due to the non-connected banking. One evening, I had double zoned 12 times, through 12 sieges and ended my day back at Arcadia..........and another siege. I was so aggravated and tired that, standing in the middle of our little houses on the overworld, I used a recall scroll in order to get into Arcadia without double zoning one more time.

If the Moongates mitigate that a little, to take time off long travel, I'm all for it. I use teleport scrolls and my friends list at every opportunity and don't plan to ever stop that. For all you who don't want to use them...don't use them. But don't decide for me whether I'll be using them or not.

Synergy Blaize, FrostII and Hurricane like this.
  12. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I'm in the 'overland scene works pretty well' camp. It doesn't take long to get across Novia. And if I want to be faster, I can often teleport to friends and often cut the distance at least in half. I do think the Lunar Rift system might be done in a more intriguing way, but having them in satellite locations instead of major metropolises may be a better lore ploy or a way to drive traffic to more locations. The real test for fast travel has not come yet though. It will come when other continents begin to be added. If you are bummed now, its only uphill later.

On sieges slowing town entry repeatedly, how about adding a 'daily siege flag' to characters? This could be a setting, toggled in options, that would require an avatar to still encounter the first siege they run across each day, but after that detect you've already had your siege experience for the day and not require that additional scene to be shown over and over.

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  13. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I vote: NO....

There're already plenty of rifts, in all the 4 corners of the globe, I suggest ppl use them and learn the time of day by watching their compass, so you know where the phase of the Moon's are, then Go...

The overland map is pretty simple once you learn it... Encounters are no big deal, run around them or run out of them, they're resource heavy, so... its all free stuff...

If you have slow hardware or internet, well, I'm sorry for that. but nothing anyone can do...

Onyx and Synergy Blaize like this.
  14. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

IMHO, sieges work just fine. It should be up to virtuous avatars to help others in Novia by counter attacking the Obsidian order to lift sieges.

15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

You need to learn the back ways around the sieges. For instance, go into Aerie via Alexandria, and out via the red boat at the docks. Go in and out of Etceter via the docks to Xenos. I used to take Oceania into Ardoris, but for some reason they dropped a Love shrine there, so it's always going to be under siege at the same time as Ardoris. At least I can take the balloon on the way out to two other cities.

16. Sher Shadowleaf

Sher Shadowleaf Avatar

I'd like a list of boats that skip sieges, because any boat I've clicked during a siege, still takes me through a siege. Plus, if getting into Aerie means I need to zone into Alexandria...then I've double zoned again.

17. Sher Shadowleaf

Sher Shadowleaf Avatar

That sounds like a good idea. I don't even mind going through several, but 12 was painful, and I probably average 6-8 when I'm not in K'Rul during double xp.

Beaumaris likes this.
  18. Sher Shadowleaf

Sher Shadowleaf Avatar

I absolutely refuse to close 6 sieges on a deco day. Or to ask anyone else to help me do it. I am like most people; I run through them and get on with things.

Also, why is Etceter besieged 80% of the time, but only has 2 devotionals? Or have some been added in another part of the town I haven't seen? Or, does having Rift stones make a difference?

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    Daigoji Gai and Hurricane like this.
  19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

But you haven't had to run through another zone for three minutes.

The regular boats/wagons in and out of a scene that normally say Novia and the tooltip changes to "Forest Siege" or whatever, you don't take those. With the Etceter/Xenos exception, these are all going through POTs. They used to take you into the siege scene just outside the besieged town.

Etceter, and any other NPC town only has one devotional. They depend on phases of astronomical things with different cycle times. Some of them happen more often because of this. I still have yet to learn exactly how they work.

Sher Shadowleaf likes this.
  20. Floors

Floors Avatar

The gate to the lost value looks so much friggin cooler than the lunar rift

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.