Please make add-on store COTO be $5 for at least 5 COTOs during live stream

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Roycestein Kaelstrom, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Avatar

Overall the logic is wrong.

If you purchase 4 COTOs for $5, the value is $1.25. Simple math, right? If you buy 9, 45, or 115 COTOs, that changes the average value to $1.11, $.89 and $.87 respectively. So if you math it out, the average value of a COTO is $0.90

It doesn't matter if the current market price of a COTO is selling for 4200GP, 4000GP or 3800GP, the value of a COTO is still (on average) $0.90.

Where your investment return is, is when you trade for COTOs, GP or cash at a profit. So you need to buy COTOs from vendors at less than market value and sell higher. Right now, that's 4000. If you buy it at 3800 and sell at 4000, you've effectively made $0.04

Just because you're only purchasing 4 COTOs for $5 doesn't mean the math doesn't work, it just means your mind likes to work with numbers that are easily divided.

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

And I never said you did. In fact, I explicitly said that I don't speak for you.

3. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Doesn't change the fact that in my scenario you gain $5 and 5 cotos. In yours, you spend nothing, receive nothing and don't support the game at all. What exactly are you complaining about?

FrostII likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I wasn't commenting on your ridiculous offer. If you can't be bothered to grok the problem then there's nothing for it.

5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I'm not sure what you're talking about anymore. Sorry for wasting your time.

FrostII likes this.
  6. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Ahh. The removal of store credit is not something I had previously considered. Very interesting as well. This sheds a new light on the suggestion to revert back to the original COTO pricing or 5 for 5 during livestreams only, however since these two acts (COTO repricing and removal of store credit) seemingly went hand in hand it might have been the intention.

I suppose we shall leave it up to Portalarium as they will have collected some data to help project if this idea is good or not. I do see your point though now.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Previously, if I didn't want anything from the add-on store, I could just get $5 credit and use it later when something that I actually wanted came along. Now, I will instantly lose 20%.

8. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Which adds up if someone is making multiple minimum purchases over multiple accounts to game the system and receive multiple livestream reward sets. I can see why this is a big deal for some people who are likely doing so. Gaming the system in this way could even be the primary reason for the COTO repricing and store credit removal.

As a compromise, perhaps they could reprice COTO yet again to make the $20 purchase 20 COTO.

FrostII likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Avatar

It might help if they create a non transferable bundle credit. Where players can slowly buy 5 credits (or more). This can only be used to upgrade their bundles over time.

10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Well, @Barugon - my grok's pretty good and I don't see a problem worth fretting over........;)

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Ok. I can't help but feel a little insulted though, after all the money that has been liberally heaped onto this game, that they would feel it necessary to needle us like that.

12. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Also, I have four accounts, so in the past I could combine $5 x 4 onto my main account and apply it all toward an item more than $5. If it was possible to have even a 1-day gift certificate, I could use that. (And I know they can't do that trivially, because it previously required being broken up into store credit.)

Maybe if there was some way to combine unclaimed COTO purchases, I guess. But I might want to use it on something other than COTOs.

Barugon likes this.
  13. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

I guess I'm all backwards.....I was surprised they didn't reprice all the $5 items to $4.99. I would have....just sayin.

14. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

need to spend 6$ at least now new taxes included, not sure i will spend anything

15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Not sure how SotA will continue to be funded - if everyone thinks like this.

It's once a month and not only do you get whatever you can spend 5 or 6 bucks on - but you also get all the promo's for the goals reached.
    This is how this game is funded.
    I think some people tend to forget that..........

I've never had an issue finding something that I would like to have, and more typically I find myself choosing between several possibilities....

C'mon guys......... There's no subscription here, and the telethons are where the money to fund SotA comes from.

If 5 or 6 bucks a month is too much to spend, then find some boring "free" game to play.
    SotA has salaries and bills to pay, and I don't think that 5-6 bucks is asking to much by any means.....

Vodalian and Synergy Blaize like this.
  16. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

You know, people are just pointing out why they feel that there need to be more incentive to help boost the sales. By condescendingly telling them to either suck it up and try to buy something that they don't believe it's worth the money; or go play other games is counterproductive and not helping with the increasing dev team income.

Some people may tend to forget that many already spent hundreds and even thousands in good faith that the game will be developed without subscription model from day one. To justify the need of funding by nickle and dime on $5 COTO is just not cool.

This wouldn't be an issue if the $5 store credit were still be viable option, but that's not the case anymore, so the dev team should adjust accordingly.

Ben_Hroth, Bigg and Barugon like this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm really surprised by the number of people that think it's ok have 20% immediately scraped off the top. Sure, it only equates to a dollar but it's the sentiment that counts here.

I typically spend a lot more than $5 during the postmortems and I've spent way more in total on this game than I would care to repeat here. As I said before, I find this squeezing rather insulting.

18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, point made .
    I just don't personally feel like Port is on a big money grab with the COTO bottom-end price increase.

19. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

Not too many buy to play MMOs doing monthly telethons. They've done Kickstarter, SeedInvest, have regional publishers who invested money.
    Maybe you're cool with monthly telethons, but if there is a problem just keeping the lights on with new game sales and the add on store alone, welp...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.