Open World PvP

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by bainton, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Elvish Dragon

Baron Elvish Dragon Avatar

Richard's clarification and answer to the PvP question:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=pvp-defaults-and-other-questions-answered/#post-13692

2. ND3G

ND3G Avatar

Forced PvP isn't going to happen, period.

I don't know why we have to keep having this discussion.

"...the potential risk of being attacked makes the game that much more exciting." For you. It makes it much more exciting for you. For others it completely destroys their experience.

I think everyone needs to sit back and really try to understand this "Selective Multiplayer" model Portalarium is creating. If one person is flagged for PvP and another is not they will never run into each other. EVER. Portalarium's servers will never place them in the same instance together because they are effectively playing two different styles of game. Those playing with PvP enabled will live in a world completely surrounded by other PvP players and the same will be true for the PvE players.

Why force thousands of players to adopt a game style they have no interest in? The majority will not put up with it or learn to like it, they will just leave.

3. RageLord

RageLord Avatar

Fairly amusing to watch the two sides dance. I thought this would be a post that provides scenarios and suggestions for those who have opted in for PvP. For those who have not, it will not concern you, as you will be kept safely away from such "nonsense". For those of us who opt in, we will cross paths and the game will stick us together through various means. Let's use our energy to suggest what means that may be.

Might I suggest the following (and forgive me if these have already been suggested):
    The most obvious ways will be arena type quests and challenges. A choice of 1) one on one, 2) group on group, and 3) for those feeling really tough one against a group. A challenge can be sent and accepted, and then the participants can be placed in a neutral area for a fight to death. Allow for an audience that can only watch and hoot and holler but cannot participate. Heck this is being done for plays with the theater, I imagine more people will pay (game gold) to see the top tier pvpers players mix it up.

Bounty listings would be another excellent way to have PVP action (and make some money too). If you allow players to post up bounties (and they pay bounty) on other players, the bounty hunters can PVP each other to eliminate the competition and the bounty can fight off the hunters.

Guilds of criminals versus guilds of protectors. Open area fights where the game itself set's one group against the other. RG has hinted at the need to get certain items (iron from a meteor strike) from locations that are "risky". these are the perfect settings for guild on guild clashes.

Try to keep the other useless comments down to a loud roar. Legal action.. really. Grow up.
    Cheers.

4. Baron Elvish Dragon

Baron Elvish Dragon Avatar

I would like to see questgivers that give more shady PCs quests to guard their dungeons or hideouts and the like causing other questgivers to give quests to invade said hideouts. With the bulk of the rewards based on whether they succeed. And vica versa.

5. RageLord

RageLord Avatar

I like that idea Elvish D. That's a great way to get the groups together.

6. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Good idea, Elvish, and thanks for your answer.

7. Ingerimm

Ingerimm Avatar

@Baron Death-Knell

I can only agree. If anyone needs the thrill of PVP, PVP flags he can, why should people that do not like PVP are forced to participate.

I actually find PVP does not really fit in a role-play, except duels, some see it differently and that's their prerogative, but please just want to enjoy this process too.

Regards
    Ingerimm

8. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Think the devs have been quite clear about this, if it is a choice between annoying those of us who only want to role play and the newbies on one hand and the tiny number of people who think that there game is spoiled if they cant screw up someone elses game they come down on the side of the PvE and newbies.

Now can we PLEASE stop having the same ***** thread over and over again from the same people, just because you whinge about it on multiple threads doesnt make you a majority, it just makes you annoying

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

Yeah, until we hear more from the devs on how things will actually work, we are just spinning our wheels here.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. smack

smack Avatar

Great idea from Elvish. PvP will be zone based, quest and story based, guild based, and gameplay mode based if you see fit. In other words, players are given choices. Portalarium isn't going to force it on anyone. They're not stupid to kill their own business in doing so.

Hey, I'd love a fully open full loot non-consensual PvP fantasy RPG game too. But no way in hell I'm going to fund it, only to have a limited subscriber base that can't even pay the development cost and server bills. It's a niche market. Go win the lotto and fund it then if you care to bleed money. Let me know, I'll be the first to jump online to spend your wasted dollars.

Until then, I'm excited about Shroud of the Avatar and the epic story telling game with multiplayer optional PvP in it too :)

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Open PvP World is on my wish list too !

12. mike von hammer

mike von hammer Avatar

I played World of Warcraft, and I disliked the PvP. Because you couldn't loot the player you just killed. But I liked because I couldn't be looted after I was killed.
    I loved it, because I played on a PvE server, so the only way I'd get PvP action is if I dueled someone, or hit he battlegrounds, or turned my PvP flag on, or attacked someone with his flag on PvP.

So for those that want PvP, I'll play along as long as:
    1]I can't be looted.
    2]Can only be Pked once per day by the same player, once per hour. Meaning no rez killing.

I don't play to feed pks, I play to explore the game and be a lone wolf.

13. lakings78

lakings78 Avatar

I believe it should be open world. You should be open to attack at any time. You just have to get smart about when and where you go to collect your resources or slay your beasts. Have friends with you, make your mule into a combative mule...there's ways around it. I believe the open world PVP is what made UO. I liked the risk vs. reward. I was PKed many times, I didn't like it, but I didn't cry about it either. I got smarter. Found other places to mine or what not. I believe when that feature was taken away from UO, that's what killed the game. It is for me anyway. I wasn't an active PK either, but I liked the fact that if someone stole my kills from me, I could go and take them out and take their gear on top of that. That's the other thing. If you go into a dungeon and you take rare gear with you..well that's a chance you take if you get killed by another player. There should be a pk system in place. None of this consensual or zoned combat. It's lame, it's weak. It takes away realism from the game. I believe that this reason alone is why I have yet to find an MMORPG that I can enjoy. Everquest I believe was the first to start consensual combat and everyone else followed. You can't say that it detracts from the game, UO kept it's numbers up for years. I believe if EA had kept UO the way it was before they took over, that the subscriber base would be higher today then it currently is. Every new MMORPG that comes out has the same cookie cutter style to it. A bunch of quests, a bunch of dungeon crawls and pvp only in certain areas for those that want to...but are more like scripted battles then any actual fighting. And, there's no loss, no risk vs. reward. What, your armor/weapon degrades if you die too many times? That's an easy fix, I'll just repair it and make it like new again and I keep everything. A system like this folks, is greedy. What fun is it if you never have to replace your weapons and armor because you lost them fighting? I dare say that SotA will be any different then the rest of them. The dev team, Richard Garriott himself even says this game won't be like the rest. However, if PVP will be LIKE THE REST, then this game will be LIKE THE REST. I have made a decent contribution to this game, because I always will try every new MMORPG that comes out. I have yet to find any single MMO in today's market to fully satisfy me the way UO did before the whole Trammel crap came to in to play. There truly is none. Bainton and myself cannot be the only people who have backed this game that think this way. You have to realize, the open world pvp of UO was only a small part of the game, you didn't go and get ganked every minute every single time you stepped out. I mean geez, I learned in my first 20 minutes into stepping outside of town I was going to have to be smart about something as simple as mining ore because someone could come along and kill me for it. It was FUN to avoid that. It was FUN to kill someone just for the hell of it in the game if they stole my kills at Ophidians or Deceit. It was FUN to be in town and a declared enemy came in and we fought. Likewise, it was fun to evade enemies if they showed up anywhere in the game and I was by myself. You know what that is? It's ADVENTURE, it's part of the game! If you only want to fight monsters and have no way to lose, you're being greedy and cheating yourself out of a truly immersible experience. Thank you for taking the time to read this long winded post, but it's something I'm very passionate about that I wish would return to the world of online role playing. To me, instanced and consensual pvp is just boring and pointless.

14. lakings78

lakings78 Avatar

Mike Von Hammer, you and I, I believe have similar play styles. I didn't always go out PvPing, I liked to lone wolf. That's another thing that bugs me in todays MMO market. They make these dungeon crawls with overpowered bosses at the end so that you MUST HAVE a party to win..and then roll the dice to try and get that valued rare item. I liked in UO that you could go on your own if you were able to fight well enough and have a decent supply of bandages or potions or reagents for healing. I tend to like to lone wolf myself at times. I would agree to no constant rez killing for pvp, that could get old fast. I would think once per day is a bit extreme, but once every 5 minutes, so you could go to your corpse and attempt to get any loot left behind and go to a safe zone. Call it a cool down I guess, one that you could waive I suppose even. I would also say maybe a system could be put in place of looting so that when you kill a player, a mathematical value is placed on all of their items that they are wearing and carrying in their pack and the value of the items be automatically given to the victor. There needs to be some reward. I would prefer looting though. I just would be happy with at least open world non-consensual pvp above everything.

15. mike von hammer

mike von hammer Avatar

@Lakings78:

I guess they could do open world PVP. I forgot about all the play options.
    1]Solo off line.
    2]Solo online
    3]play with friends
    4]Open play Which means play with anyone.

So, I'm guessing if play with friends is selected, then it'll be just you and your buds. With very little risk of PvP happening unless it was consensual. I guess those numbers would tell the devs what the players want, in terms of open PvP vs a PvP system.

I recall many players complaining because felucca became a ghost town soon after trammal opened up. I know my entire guild moved to tram.

Again, to me, there is a difference between Pk and PvP. Hence why I use the term PK and not PvPer.
    I was a short term member of an Orc clan, on catskills. A few players tried to copy the Player run Orc clans that existed. That was consensual PvP, because it was expected that we would die. As there were limits as to what equipment we could equip and how high in levels we could go.

16. ChosenPredator

ChosenPredator Avatar

I personally feel every MMO caters to those people who don't want open world PVP, I've never PVP or PKed in ultima online, I've been pked and the fact that it was by a human player (Half the time i didn't know because the RPing was so good in UO), was exciting to me, I hate going on a game knowing it's going to give me the same generic excitement each time i log on, I love knowing the unexpected is happening, this game has no investment in it, no monthly payment, a mode you can play with just your friends..so meny options not to be PKed so once it comes to the online mode I hope they have an interesting way to approach this..let the online portion of the world evolve itself with no interference , if Pkers end up dominating there will probably be a massive pushback ... like in UO people who just hunt Pkers, people in towns who warn of them - soooooooooooooooooo tired of FPS style arenas in MMOs which this game isn't but i think all of you know what i mean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.