PvP Incentivation

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Gustach, Jul 23, 2018.

?

Do you think this would help to make PvP happen more?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. No way

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gustach

Gustach Avatar

Correct me if I´m wrong but as far as I know when you are killed by Environment (flagged or not) you loose experiencie.

Then my suggestion is to make people flagged as PvP not loose experiencie when dying because of environment. This would encourage much more people to flag themselves into PvP, making fights occur more and in much more spots than now.

This would be only in Open mode obviously (Multiplayer matchmaking).

What do you thinkg about this idea?

Vodalian likes this.
  2. Floors

Floors Avatar

PvP would happen more if non-endgame level people (ie, people under level 80 or so that don't have GMs) are allowed to PvP each other without fear of being destroyed by people with 50 GMs. PvP areas need level gating, sorry !

blaquerogue, Vodalian and Stundorn like this.
  3. oplek

oplek Avatar

I mean, sure, if the incentive is a million COTOs per kill, that would make PVP happen more. There'd be consequences, though.

From what I understand, the obsidian trials are becoming battle-royale style. What I like about this, is that it "de-personalizes" PVP. I'm not a fan of 1v1. I'm just not competitive enough to stand a chance. If there's a crowd.. maybe.

4. Gustach

Gustach Avatar

I agree with you in this one, but I think what you say is not incompatible with my suggestion. Even more, people normally play in their tiers areas. If that would be implemented people in the same levels would have the chance to PvP with other people of their level.

There would be always griefers and higher lvl people killing victims with less level too. But for this not to happen you pointed a nice thing (level gating). I think that means only people arround the tier level would be granted access... that seems too restrictive, one better thing would be to cap all people who enter a scene to that tier (this is difficult to adjust and must happen in low tiers only)

5. Floors

Floors Avatar

I'm in favor of battle royale style, but even more, castle defense, where i can defend a good (or evil) castle on a team, that is really appealing. 1 on 1 is great, but yeah with the way the game is now it's too dangerous and it discourages people from even bothering. With level gating some areas it should help.

I don't know however, if the death penalty change your proposing will have a strong effect without these new changes coming.

Aeryk likes this.
  6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I can tell you what incentive would let me flag for pvp sometimes.

Hard caps and tree limitations like UO.
    Simple as that.

Death Decay is supposed to be a softcap what unfortunately doesnt work.
    Former it worked for casuals like me a little bit, because i wasnt able to get the lost xp back that quick .
    But it was already adjusted and i only needed an hour or so to get back what i've lost .
    Even Highlevels and hardcore who loosed 1 Million or even more where capable of getting that xp back very quick, because they already could get 1 Million in around an hour in K'rul or CP.
    Now with UT it's even to me possible to get 1 Million very quick.

Death decay would need to be 10 times ir even more to work as a softcap, it would need to be that high that you loose Skill no matter if you are level 40, 80, 100 or 120+

The thing about pvp us balance.
    That's maybe not true for the pvpers left here, but for hundreds of pvpers who have already left.

If i need to skill stuff i dont like and i dont identify my char with to get resistancies and if the diminishing return of for example bladed combat from 100 to 140 is +29% damage, then there is absolutely no incentive for me to flag for pvp.

PvP is only cool if playerskill is the point, but what we have is 1st as much skills as high as possible is key due to resistancies and power, second is gear and third is playerskill.
    Nobodys playerskill compensate +29% damage for example, except the one with skill 140 is one handed and one eyed and has the reaction time of my grandma.
    So the first thing is balance the game and create an even playing field for endgame.

To all who arent the same opinion and are annoyed that i make this arguments again. Try to withstand , maybe ignore me.
    I know it's unpopular and you will argue , but effort = reward .
    Fine, you have your and i have my pov.
    Just let me speak free and share my opinion on things.
    You dont have to agree, but i also dont have to agree. I just want to say what would let me flag pvp.

That said said i'm interested how the capped scenes work in detail.
    What do they cap exactly, Adv Level or all skills or how does this work?

blaquerogue and Bambino like this.
  7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Level 81, no GM, highest skills all at 80 and before i havent my innates at 80 and some other skills that are in the 60ies i wont go for any GM.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  8. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

For me, PvP specific level gating for zones (with different tiers), and a PvP Zone currency (like what they are implementing in the obsidian Trials is what would get me. A perfect example of what I am talking about is the Imperial City in Elder Scrolls Online. That PvP zone was the best PvP scenario I've experienced, ever. The PvE in that zone dropped currency only obtained in PvP areas, +tokens for chests there. When you would kill someone, you would gain a share of the currency they had on them, so you could PvP AND PvE and it was fun and rewarding.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  9. oplek

oplek Avatar

I'm not sure I even disagree with you, but those should probably be added to the list of boats that have sailed, never to return.

Stundorn likes this.
  10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

i wouldnt say.
    capping scenes is the same more or less.
    Years ago there was discussions about buffs, 15 buffs were normal, all stats, shields and all that. It changed.
    About effort =reward, i was 2 times in UT now, well players like Mac or Andartianna put thousands of hours effort in to GM that much skills or get their skills to 140 or even higher.
    Now that can be done in UT in a 10th of the time i assume, what they needed 5000 hours for now is reachable in about 500 hours or so. Just an example, maybe wrong in detail, but you know what i want to say.
    Kaeshiva stated in antother thread a Player was handed some gear and get guild support and was Level 90 in a week.
    What effort he putted in compared to Starman who grinded Sequanna Colossus before it was uncloned or Ulfheim later for thousands of hours?
    All this shows all the talk about effort= reward is obsolete in some way. And i am sure they will soften the progression more and more, the only thing they are afraid of is loosing players and so they tweak and nerf and redo this and that to please everyone like they want to please SP, Coop and MMO players with the selective MP thing.
    I bet in 2 years, if the game is still running, it is that much softened and more accesible to get strong that we will wonder.

The game would become more hard and challenging, if they would cap and limit trees and all that. One char would hardly be able to kill a dragon solo etc...
    I only think the whole game and playerbase would profit in the long term, but i dont know.
    It doesnt matter that much to me anymore, i like the game for several aspects, but there are some things i dislike by heart, because the only thing it does is locking casual players of in the way they never can compete on the market or in PvP.
    And to be said with casual i only think of a time related term, in fact a normal players playing 10-20 hours a week and not 10+ hours a day, you know the 0815 dude with frieds, family, other hobbies etc.
    Its all cool if someone makes a virtual life and is online 24/7 or whatever. I wont judge it, what i judge is Portalarium creating a game that favors this, what is 1st unhealthy to these peoples, but ok i do unhelathy things too and everybody is self responsible, but because one part of the playerbase is "thirsty" and would smoke the content up in 2 weeks, we have these more or less timesink mecchanics aka grind skills etc. what avoids real sandbox endgame. And "normal" / casual players just cannot partake.
    But they soften it as everybody can see. Wait another year and then we look what happened. Getting a GM was like "impossible" to me, also because i hate grinding and repetetive content.
    I still do dislike that. But i sure like fighting for 1-2 Hours.
    Well in Grannus or Crag Foothills i was able to maybe get 1 Million XP in 3-4 hours. I mostly fought there for 1 or 2 hours and got an average of 400k xp.
    Now i have these obisidian potions and UT and LFG Tool.
    I dont say i like it very much, but the route is clear, they soften the whole process very much, not to mention double XP.
    So good for me i can get my innates to 80 and then begin to GM my first skills, think over what i really want to specialize in.
    the effort= reward formula compared to what we had before is imo a slap in the face to these players who are highlevels and like the effort= reward formula.
    To me this makes sense for crafting maybe and for reputation grind or aspects of a game what gives you something you are proud of to achieve it like a title, but if it disbalances the Sandbox Gameplay and Endgame, well i just dont think that is good.

edit: forgot to get back on my point :p
    If it is like i say they could have that way more easy with just capping and limiting trees and give other incentives to grind 24/7 like reputation or titles. Kill 5 Million Kobolds to become an epic Kobold Slayer or whatever.
    The thing is if this game also wants to be a sandbox mmo then we need something else for endgame than grinding numbers.
    We need an even playing field for more or less everybody and make it possible to partake.
    They choose to cap PVP scenes and give double XP and make scenes like UT.
    Okay, but whats the difference?
    In the end it is about Endgame Content and Mechanics and at best everybody can partake and contribute, isnt it?
    So to hide that behind a huge wall of grind was only to cover there are less of these gamemechanics. They come with castle sieges and stuff maybe. And then i am sure getting competetive is even more easier than now what is 10 times easier than half a year ago.

11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

the reason you lose experience when you die from environment when pvping is because people were getting out of losing battles by, say, throwing themselves off cliffs, thus not making a headstone their opponent could pick up.

Stundorn likes this.
  12. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

there is a pvp zone that is lvl gated already.... (Opalis ruins i believe)
    and once the obsidian trials get fleshed out, there will be team deathmatches and lvl gated trials....

and you dont lose ransom in the trials btw

13. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

You already have a hard cap.... AND a soft cap..... jeez give up already, nothing you say ever makes any sense
    You can resist stuff very well with warding gear. Have you ever heard of a tank complaining that he needs to level up tanking skills? its the same thing..... why would it be different for damage resistance and magic resistance.... its the same, stop complaing about something that isnt broken

Dhanas and Violette Dyonisys like this.
  14. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Bonus xp when adventuring
    Exclusive zones which force you to pvp
    Running victims through pvp zones so you can gank them while they are trying to complete their main story quest
    All the work going into the obsidian trials.
    The current contest where you can win a Tax free city deed (currently only available through the $3,300 bundle)

All of this is available and not incentive enough for people to want to pvp. I don't think removing decay when flagged will be enough either.
    Port need to focus on the majority of the player base who are just not interested in pvp.

Fruck and kaeshiva like this.
  15. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Hard cap and tree limitation just reduce the number of moves you can do in a battle.
    People loose 500k exp and cry, even with upper tears. I never saw you flaggued but if i had same skills than you and because i practiced pvp for over a year and you didnt, you would loose so much exp that you would probably rage quit. Just saying ;p

Dhanas and Fruck like this.
  16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

PvP already has enough areas (including consensual pvp everywhere) and incentives. What it lacks is a purpose. Obsidian trials is a good start with a reward schema that benefits pvp play and doesn't affect everyone else.
    If you start adding (more) pve incentives to PvP, you may entice a few people, sure, but you'll harbor resentment with everyone who does NOT want to feel compelled to participate in something that will more than likely result in them being killed repeatedly and losing ransom money. Its just not a productive use of time, unless your gear/build/focus is PvP.

We need to STOP trying to come up with ways to get more UNINTERESTED people into PvP zones - in fact, we could do with removing those mechanics that already exist.
    Instead, need to make PvP rewarding for its own sake. I think the trials (ie, no cash-sink barrier to entry) and the defense scenarios discussed are a good start.

Dhanas, Scanphor, FrostII and 5 others like this.
  17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I think a cap at 80 in all skills if your a "jack of all trades" if you specialize in one skill we will say bludgeon in this case all bludgeon skills can get to 120-140, if you specialize in heavy armor same thing. All other skills should have to be reduced to 60 cap. By turning them down (lose that exp back into your pool) to go into ones your specing.
    Then if you want to go to something different on skills everything has to be 60 in order to respec into something else. Just my personal opinion, this would also balance out pvp in a decent way, and no one would be OP.

18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Totally agree stop trying to get people involved, let them do it when or if they want

Stundorn and FrostII like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.