Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Patcher down?

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Idunaz, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idunaz

Idunaz Avatar

Just pledged 45. Downloaded the Launcher and installed the game. When I try to patch, I get an error saying couldn't connect to the patch server.

2. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

I guess you downloaded this file? http://goo.gl/KVYzpF

Did you get your issue fixed?

3. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I am seeding, so someone is getting patched. :)

If you are still having problems try emailing support@portalarium.com or PM FireLotus or any active dev on the forums.

The game uses BitTorrent to patch, so you might want to make sure any malware or virus software is not detecting the launcher as malicious. It should revert to HTTP when BitTorrent doesn't work, but if its getting blocked at the application level it might not do this.

Technically anyone can install the game and run the launcher. Your account and pledge level only comes into play when you try to login to play.

4. Idunaz

Idunaz Avatar

Tried again this morning and still can't patch. When I installed it and first ran the patcher, I clicked allow access when I got the pop up, so I don't know why it would be blocking the patch.

5. Idunaz

Idunaz Avatar

Even tried turning off my firewall just now to download it and still get a cannot connect to the patch server error.

6. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Can you ping sota-game.portalarium.com? That should be the main patch server and game.

If you cannot ping that then you need to figure out why. It may be related to your router or ISP. It is up and I no one else seems to be having issues.

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling or downloading the client again.

You using Mac/Linux or Win?

7. DanRO

DanRO Avatar

I am also getting a similar error. Release 1 worked fine but then came Release 2 and my patcher will always fail to complete step 3/6 "Error during update"
    I removed and reinstalled the game but had no success eliminating that error.

8. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

There is a output_log.txt file in the /installfolder/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/ folder. If you can read this there might be a clue of what is going wrong. If you cannot read it, I would copy it out somewhere and save it.

I think most of that data is sent to Portalarium, but just in case that might be useful to the Devs when they review your issues.

One thing to be aware of is that Unable to Connect to Patch Server and Error Updating are 2 different errors. The connect error means you are not downloading the patches. Error updating is that you got the files but there is a problem applying them. For updating you could try going to /installfolder/Downloads folder and delete the files there and then rerun the patcher. This will require downloading all the patches again, but it might fix the issue if you got a corrupted patch file.

DanRO likes this.
  9. DanRO

DanRO Avatar

Yes. That did the job for me. Thank you!

Umbrae likes this.
  10. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

GREAT! Glad I could help!

11. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

12. Idunaz

Idunaz Avatar

Yep, followed those instructions and was able to get in game fine!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.