Dual wield build - use 2xLS or LS+dagger?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ondar, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ondar

Ondar Avatar

Hi folks!

I started my toon as dual blade wielding using long sword and dagger. Is it better to stay that way or use dual long sword (seems they easier to get nicely enchanted).

Thanks

Alicia Ondar

2. Daedwax

Daedwax Avatar

Are you using poisons? if not i wouldn't suggest Daggers because of their lower damage.

3. Ondar

Ondar Avatar

At least no poison yet ;) I'm still noob recently reaching (thanks to some UTing) adv.lev.81 :) I now use blades Thrust and Double swing + some earth magic (specialization at 30).

4. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I think daggers get a greater damage blocking rate.

As far as enchanting goes I think they enchant as well as any other blade.

Nelzie likes this.
  5. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Longswords are the best unless you are using poisons, in which case daggers are good.

Daggers get higher amount of damage blocked per parry, but 2/3 mob types can't be parried (archers and mages) and parries are capped at 75% of the hit. The parry on two longswords is more than sufficient.

That being said the difference in damage isn't going to be that huge so if you enjoy using daggers or a mix, you won't be hurting yourself too much.

Ondar likes this.
  6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Duel wields daggers with poison can cause some SERIOUS damage to mobs. I would run them more (I actually haven't tried in a while) but there is issues with their strike distance and how mobs auto-adjust themselves space wise in front of you. You end up swinging at air all the time and and having to move your char continually forward all the time in a fight (which is bad for places you dont want to catch more agro). This may be worth trying again, but I dont think its been resolved.

FrostII and Nelzie like this.
  7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I use daggers, i havent had any strike distance issues

Longswords have a base crit chance of 13%, deal more damage, have a stronger free attack

Daggers have the highest base crit chance of any weapon at 20% before skill bonuses, and i use them for the poisons. I use hardened leather and meteoric iron for daggers to maximize thier damage as the crit chance is already sufficient, so with poisons, daggers can do more damage than longswords

Without poison, longswords are good

Nelzie and Vero like this.
  8. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Does the off hand weapon get its own attack along with the primary or does the off hand weapon just get the attack that goes with the off hand attack skill?

9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I run duel wield spears right now (poison) and that second hand only attacks with the off hand attack skill.

Nelzie likes this.
  10. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

For the longest time I was running Short Sword and Dagger, as that felt more... coherent of a combat style and with the regular use of Poison, I was trashing mobs significantly higher than I should have been able to do. (Except those pesky undead and their immunity to poison!)

I am going to be moving back to dual wield, but... I suspect that I'll end up again at Short Sword and Dagger, with liberal poison use. I'm going to experiment a bit with Dual Long Swords and my current combat moves and then try that out with Short Sword and Dagger +Poison and the same combat moves and see what feels better.

The Poison Bonus for Short Swords and Dagger together are pretty solid. I'll end up setting up an alternate with a pair of long swords or a long and short sword for dealing more damage to Undead or just stick with a bad ass two-hander for Undead.

Jaesun and Proteus Tempest like this.
  11. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I believe you actually were the one who countered my argument when I posted the same thing ~6 months ago. This still does not explain why when I fought any mob with duel wield dagger why I continually have to move forward on them to hit them. I recall that I even showed you a Twitch video back then showing the issue over and over again on normal mobs. But sure, maybe they fixed it. I dont have the problem with duel wield spears now. I had to fix the issue back then by switching to duel wield swords.

12. Ondar

Ondar Avatar

Ok, I try dual long swords and we will see :) Thanks all!

FrostII likes this.
  13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

6 months ago i think was a time when there was some issues with mobs running into your body, and spiders in particular stop in front of you and can attack from just outside your strike range but i was also experiencing this with short swords

At the moment theres a inconsistant bug where a mob can be hit by auto attacks but not with skills, and thats fixed by moving off that spot. Other than that iv not experience issues with dagger range, but it could very well be because ive used daggers since a few months after persistance and dont have much experience with 2 handers

14. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

if you are using off hand attack, it might be worth the crit bonus to use dagger in off hand.

Nelzie likes this.
  15. Ondar

Ondar Avatar

I bought very nice bronze LS from Elrond with quite high crit (Bronze long sword +12 - +3 dmg, +8% crit chance, +5% crit dmg, +16.3 HP, +14.8 STR, +16.6 rend, +17.8 thrust, 80 durability) - I have off hand attack on 99 so using it quite a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.