Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Sequanna Colossus - was this really necessary?

Discussion in 'Release 58 Feedback' started by kaeshiva, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

So this has always been a 'not bad' little scene - not particularly lucrative, but close to my home and fun and a couple boxes to grab if you wanna spend 10 mins or so running around tagging the statues for the puzzle. These were the typical "50 gold and a handful of fragments" type of box, not particularly great but worth scooping up while you are there.

Imagine my dismay upon walking into Sequanna Colossus and doing 1 loop around the scene counter clockwise to tag the puzzle statues, to find that they've replaced the chest...the one behind the door you have to do the whole zone puzzle to unlock? With a Mimic.

Now, this zone is already a bad zone, that suffers from a very bad 'creatures don't respawn' bug. The initial spawn is quite high and you think huh, this scene might be a nice little place to spend some time, but only 50% of the stuff respawns - a bug I've reported at least 3 times but never had acknowledged but lets put a pin in that.

My feedback/question to the devs is -
    In light of the fact that the economic changes in R58 have opened the gold faucets to max and gold is flooding in from everywhere, was it really necessary, to remove the box that had 50g worth of stuff that was the 'puzzle solving' reward? The box that is guarded btw, by a lich, so it wasn't even a freebie and takes considerable time to even open the door to it? I find this a bit baffling.

Clearly someone spent some time making "improvements" to this zone ...there's 10 corpions now instead of 8 (only 50% of which respawn, as has been the case for the last 12 months or so). They've stuck a couple of imps in there too, in somewhat random places. The other chest - high on top of the upper area guarded by the higher level cultists - has been mysteriously moved from 1 building to another, for what purpose I cannot fathom as well. I don't really get the purpose of this, but at least its not -gone-. Replacing the puzzle reward chest with a mimic is just downright baffling. I mean, at least I know better than to waste my time solving the puzzle but it seems a bit stupid to have this sort of mechanic and to reward players with a mimic.

Is it a big deal? No, not really. Its just confusing.

mass, FrostII, Timmy Vortex and 7 others like this.
  2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Thanks for the feedback, and here's some notes that may help your understanding of the area and the changes.

I made some changes to Sequanna Colossus for this release, which are the ones you're talking about. I saw several of the NPCs in the scene were spawning in ways that weren't optimal, so I did a little reorganization and such. I spread out some spawn-groups and increased their population slightly, put some enemies on walking paths, etc. The location of the chest in the upper area is now randomized. When I added the mimic in the puzzle room, I made a mistake in removing the main reward chest. That chest is added back.

I'm not familiar with the "creatures don't respawn" bug you mention, but I wonder if you're seeing something intentional. For example, we might have a group of Tier 3 Skeletons with a typical respawn rate that are in the same area as a Tier 5 Skeleton that respawns much slower—the "minions" are always there while the "elite" enemy is there less often.

By the way, that mimic is sometimes a mimic, sometimes not there at all, and sometimes a second reward chest.

3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Thanks @Sannio I ran around and saw that there was indeed a loot box in that room now. Appreciate the fix, this is a nice "bite sized scene" to do when I'm on my way out or on my way home.

The respawn issue I mention has to do with the general scene population - this is evident in a few other scenes as well but in Sequanna because there is only one Corpion "spot" its easy to notice.
    in R57 and prior, 8 corpions were present in the corpion spot upon entering the scene.
    No matter how long you waited or how many times you walked back to that spot after running around the scene, there would only ever be 4 corpions at that spot. You'd never have 8 again unless you mode swapped or left and re-entered the scene. It didn't seem to matter if you stood and waited, or ran around murdering everything else in the scene, there'd never be more than 4 corpions ever again.

I see now in R58 there are more corpions, but still only 50% respawn. The skeletons, cultists, etc. also behave this way, although they are trickier to count. The scene essentially 'thins out' - It essentially means that an initial pass through this scene is pretty lucrative with good mob density, but then you need to leave and do something else because you never get as many things to kill as you got that first pass. If that's intended cool - just seemed wonky ...where did all the corpions go? I like killing corpions.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  4. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I heavily farm the corpions in Sequanna Collosus because they have the best drop rate on claws that I've found, which I use for deftness potions. Can't say I've seen this behavior at all. I go to the dragon skeleton, wipe out the corpions. Jump on the rocks, wait for reset. Come back after about 5-10 minutes, wipe them all out again. Most of the time they're all there again. The main problem I've ever had with them is one or two being stuck in a near permanent leashing state, but that seemed fixed recently.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I kill all the huge corpions then leave and find a corpion encounter. When I'm finished with that, I return to Sequanna Colossus and repeat.

Mishikal likes this.
  6. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Ok, but that doesn't really address the report that was made. :) I'm simply noting it doesn't match my experience. I do the corpion encounters sometimes, but I haven't found them as lucrative as just sitting at the dragon bones and farming the corpions there.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They're lucrative if you make corpion poison. Anyway, it's just something to do while waiting for Sequanna to respawn.

Mishikal likes this.
  8. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

They bug they really should fix is that corpions only ever drop 1 claw, even though they clearly have two... while they drop hundreds of other parts, some of which they only have one of. Makes no sense...

Barugon likes this.
  9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The slow spawn rate is probably intentional with this area because it is a main quest area.

There’s tons of corpions in that overland encounter. Holy crap. I died in there a long time ago because they respawn so damn fast....

10. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

The last one I went into was very disappointing. Just a few corpions, even in the waves. May have just been my bad luck. :)

Jaesun likes this.
  11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Wow, that's crazy, I wonder what the variable is then? I've waited on those corpions dozens if not hundreds of times, and only ever get half the spawn back (ie, 4 corpions respawn, never the original 8) unless I completely reset scene - observed this behavior it if I'm in my own scene, or in multiplayer (different scene master), private mode, party mode..always the same thing. Have had others confirm it too (ie made husband test it on his machine). Strange indeed!
    You are a corpion whisperer, it seems.

Jaesun likes this.
  12. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Yeah, that's really strange. I only do the scene in private mode. But it's a spot I use heavily, so I'd have been alerting too if I saw the behavior you do. Some experiences in this game vary so widely between different users it's headache inducing and makes it really difficult to figure out why. :(

13. Snakyy

Snakyy Avatar

This is hilarious! Typical kiddy low logic arcade game solution. You have an ancient tomb with a locked door that has not been opened in generations. You open it and you find inside a living well-fed orc that attacks! However this time there is no orc but mimic, that have patiently wait for ages without any form of sustenance for an avatar to come by.

Immersion level -100
    Logic level -100
    So-called virtual world design level -100

Keep up with the good professional work :)

It is a little bit like the skeleton encounters that run after avatar. In actual the encounter, you have a wooden platform build by obsidian cultist that are in the middle of the ritual. WAT? They build that platform after they did run after avatar for miles? LEL LEL :p:p:p:rolleyes:

Timmy Vortex likes this.
  14. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Not having a real chest in the treasure room was a mistake and they corrected it in the Sept 30 patch.

Sannio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.