What is your definition o 'Pay to Win'?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vagabond Sam, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

Paying for anything that makes you more likely to be succesful than someone who does not, is pay to win for me, irrespective of it is guaranteed to make you more succesful.Formulated differently, any result from a payment that skews the probability distribution for how well you are doing in your favor by paying more is pay to win for me.

With other words: Prosperity tools are pay to win for me ...

vjek and docdoom77 like this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

My definition of Pay to Win is well defined in the words.

Paying real money to Win in game.

Now we need a poll on the definition of Winning.

Paying for something does not translate directly into winning. The game mechanics define how much of an advantage players can have.

(EG of P2W): Healing potions purchased from the store for real money instantly heal you to full health and have no limit on usage - very much P2W.

(EG of not P2W): Item that does not need repair, such as the prosperity tools - time save, at best.

Seon likes this.
  3. Morghanu

Morghanu Avatar

Only house decoration, armor & weapons ( with specs of max player made armor/wep) but with diferent / better Looks should be buyable with real money so wont interfere with game pvp balance !!!

4. smack

smack Avatar

"Winning" is purely subjective so you'll never get a consensus definition. In any case...my current thinking:

Regarding character advancement, P2W is anything that advances your character's level, experience, skills and other attributes through real cash or in-game currency purchases instead of through effort.

Regarding gear or items or resources, if it has any beneficial attribute that is the sole dominating factor in determining the successful outcome of an action through its use, then it is P2W.

Regarding in-game currency that can be purchased with real cash, it is not P2W by itself. It can be P2W if in-game currency can be used to purchase the above two things.

Joviex likes this.
  5. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Any advantage you get by buying stuff from the dev store is pay to win.
    Magical smithing hammers that you don't lose after death are pay to win.
    Buying in-game gold/resources with irl cash is pay to win.
    /thread

6. rustypup

rustypup Avatar

If the influx of cash cannot be converted back into real world currency, go ahead and pour your spare change into imaginary items.

History has proven that *any* mechanism which plugs real world currency to in-game will irrevocably dilute the value of the in-game currency. The result being statements along the lines of "everything can be purchased with in-game gold" are provably false because the truth is "everything can be purchased for impossibly large amounts of in-game gold" once the committed hordes of botters/farmers/boxers join in.

Therefore, reasonable progression becomes inextricably tied to real world tender.

If we're playing to farm gold, that's not a game. That's a job.

I already have one of those. Another seems a little superfluous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.