Penalties for PKing and Looting. (Suggestions Only)

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Skalex, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Well.... I don't think I could get behind perma-death. maybe I'm too nice, but I wouldn't want that to happen to someone.

2. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

It would give you much more of an incentive to stay alive. The perma death would only be for murderers with the lowest karma level.

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I don't know how many of you have been following game dev forums over the years but perma death has been discussed for many years. The fatal flaw is what goes through the player's mind when they are rerolling a new character. This is the point players leave for something else.

It's not good game design to put players in this position.

A players investment into their character is one of the ways to keep them playing long term.

NRaas and Ned888 like this.
  4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

But in this case, that's not the worst problem. In this case, perma death just means they get a free reset and a new character...so why not just kill everyone while they can? Perma death is worse than 3 strikes your out...it's a suicide bomber who's guaranteed a new life with a clean slate of karma.

5. Malanthius

Malanthius Avatar

I want murderers to be sent to the public stocks for a period of time to be used for our amusement. We could purchase rotting veggies to throw at them and they can be publicly humiliated.

Ned888 and Ultima Aficionado like this.
  6. Malanthius

Malanthius Avatar

I also like the idea that the murderer has to pay in gold a restitution to his victims in order to get resurrected.

Ned888 likes this.
  7. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I think if someone had to continuously reroll a character, that would get really old after awhile, unless they have some exploits they can gain levels quick enough.

I'm for perma-death if a player reaches a certain number of kill counts, if it's non-consensual PvP. If all PvP is consensual, then perma-death makes no sense to me. There should only be penalties for non-consensual. I also like @Malanthius idea.

We need genuine discouragement of the practice if there is non-consensual PvP (PKs essentially).

8. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

Perma death is the death of your character. Each character is unique and has his/her own story. You can't relate the character to the person playing it. Remember, this is a video game. A new character is nowhere near "free." It is an investment of the player's time to achieve a level their previous character was at.

9. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

You guys are thinking PoV player invested in the game instead of PoV toxic player. They don't care about any of this. In all likelihood, they have at least two accounts. Everyone had different motivations and reasons for play.

Akeashar likes this.
  10. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

Agreed, the perma death option makes no sense if all PvP is consensual. The idea was that since the PK took time away from those they murdered, the victims are compensated with the gold for their time loss. The PK on the other hand is penalized

and he is left to deal with his bad karma so his soul is permanently banished and he is incapable of being resurrected.

11. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Here I'm only going to address the non-consensual aspect of PK. (Since consensual PvP is just that, no one should be penalized nor compensated, imo) I'd think if someone could re-roll a character, they would also be limited to how many times they could/or would want to do this. If every time they re-rolled a character (if they had been flagged PK), it started with minus stats, that would be an additional deterrent. At some point, it wouldn't even be worth re-rolling a character if stats continued to decay with each re-roll.

I don't know if a victim should be compensated ("rewarded") for being PK fodder. To me, they should have the ability to turn off non-consensual PvP as the only compensation.

Akeashar likes this.
  12. Dulgrand

Dulgrand Avatar

My first post here! Big fan of Ultima series and UO. Played for 12 years.
    I hope my bad english dont make (so) hard to understand my post, I'm not American or English. Even if it does, make a little effort, huh?

In my perfect world, that is how would be.

A) First of all, any newly created character would have a "newbie tag" and can't attack other players (except for self-defense). A player can only attack another player after 144 hours of gameplay (7 days of ininterrupted playing). It prevents crazy people from creating insta-killers to troll/grief.

The murderer receives a 12 hours timer for killing AND a curse/debuff that prevents him to revive from death while the timer is up. Each additional kill don't adds time but refreshes the timer.
    While this timer is up, the murderer's name is red. Disconnecting freezes this timer, so no cheating, guys...

Any blue NPC will attack on sight and any player can attack him without any karma penalties.

IF the murder dont dies while the timer/debuff is up, luck him. His name returns to normal color. No consequence and no Criminal Marks (see below).

IF the murder dies to another player, well... he's dead, besides, he is still unable to revive for the remaining duration of the debuff.

IF, instead a player, the murderer dies from a "blue" NPC (or maybe ONLY guards, errand paladins and etc...), he will be teleported to jail. There, any stolen/looted item from the victim will be recovered and returned to the victim's "mail", or sort of and any money and weapons will be taken for good (armors and other items are back when he leaves jail). If possible, a player who kills the murderer could "bring the body" to autorities, to put him in jail and receive a bounty (based on how bad is the murderer he got)

The murderer then will receive a Criminal Mark and will be forced to labor, gathering or crafing X amount of items (he can choose what tasks perform, based on his crafting skill, if he has none, then he can only spend time; see below).

He will be released when he reaches the number of items or when X hours has passed (hours based on how many Criminal Marks he has) - which comes first. In both cases - crafting or time - "X" is based on his number of Criminal Marks.

When a character have 5 or more Criminal Marks, he will be chased by the law agents. From time to time, randomly, a number of guards (and other lawmen NPCs) can be spawned at X distance from him and actively chase him while yelling things like "HALT, MURDERER". If he got caught, he is dead for good (permadeath). These lawmen don't have loot and don't spawn inside structures.

Optionally, for those who think permadeath is very hardcore, he might be just attacked on sight and, in case of death, add his number of Criminal Marks to time prevented from reviving (5 marks = 60 hours spending some time with the deads, plus 12 hours [basic time after murdering]).

B)
    Looting should be a lesser criminal action, like snooping, stealing and lockpicking. Its just the same as A (above), but 1/4 of the time. 3 hours with gray name; criminal actions don't prevents reviving, but dying do not removes the criminal flag. When the guy have 5 or more Criminal Marks, he is chased too, but not killed. Instead, he just go for jail in case of "death" (defeat) and lost his items and thieve's tools (if any).

Skalex and Ned888 like this.
  13. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

I have a dumb question, pardon the ignorance.
    If a player can only kill another player (if both have PVP turned on)...why are they considered a PK and have bad karma? I thought the purpose was for combat.

Or are they a PK if there is no agreement in a duel and the other attacks anyways?

14. Dulgrand

Dulgrand Avatar

I think OP takes in consideration PvP being non-consensual (if possible), not a duel.

15. Nahin

Nahin Avatar

I love the way you put it. I really wanna see something like that. Im already bored of funboy mmorpg like WoW, game that you only kill NPC, farm itens and bla bla bla. I played mortal online and was freaking awesome. Game with full loot and open PVP outside cities. Why play a game if it gets boring? you are playing a Multiplayer RPG, i believe this game is for players play with players. If you guys want to kill npc and have stupid chats talking about nothing "serious", go play something like single player rpg.
    If Garriot make this game like another funboy MMORPG, well... dont think it will happen.

16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Pk = Player Killer, your out mining i roll up on you for no reason gank you and take all your stuff,
    Pkk = PK hunter (player killer, killer, I hear that someone ganked you and took all your stuff, your upset and want to get your stuff back and that guy killed, I roll up on him and kill him (essentially after he has killed you for no reason he is evil or RED, so when i gank his butt im still blue because hes a murderer, im judge jury and executioner, Honorable killer, for a reason (he took advantage of you and others) Honorable Killer. Difference is i take him out for taking out good people that didnt deserve it! A Paladin basically that protects the weak or innocent! Keep in mind when i go out and kill a Pkr, they will probably hunt me anyhow so that would take the focus off you! :)

Time Lord and Terminator like this.
  17. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 Avatar

So in my perfect game world there is no invisible for keeping me from taking my axe to the back of your neck...there also aren't guards paladins knights standing around watching while I carve up some fletcher in the town square.

Being a PK should be difficult like it would be in a real realm...guards.. bounty hunters et all would hound you relentlessly.

So once you have murdered someone the first few offenses should be fairly light but once you establish this as your MO you should be perma flagged and you should have a bounty collect able buy NPCs or players...you are KOS to all guards the further away you get from a city the less guards you see but lots of patrols in the "newbie" areas and pacifist should be able to do most if not all gathering under guard protection.

Further out there should be bands of bounty hunters just enough to make the murderers/PKs sweat a little...just like the NON PK players feel ;). I want PK players to earn it so it's not so annoying when I get killed because I know they are committed and paid a price.

Skalex and blaquerogue like this.
  18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I have always loved the bounty boards! :) There should also be a hit list board for you PKrs to put on us :) Im game! All the time! And ill always have something worth killing me over on me that you can loot when i drop, if it wont loot, ill just give it to you! Then you can gankme again and ill move on prolly wont have anything on me when i come to give you your loot!, but always, i repeat always keep a look over your shoulder and in the dark shadows, I am the black sheep that waits for the perfect opportunity! :)

Time Lord likes this.
  19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Im assuming Zeke0123 is a yes on "I am a pvpr!"

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 Avatar

Hmmm....I probably won't play it if it's (PVP) not part of the game...but I'm not a fan of FFA PVP with no consequence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.