macOS Mojave 10.14.2 fixes performance issues for sota on Mac

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Floors, Dec 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floors

Floors Avatar

I thought I'd post this here so it's more visible for people on macs with Mojave having issues.

Since around R58, when Mojave came out, the metal driver experience (the default driver) got worse and worse. It finally got the point in R60 where it would crash the game or not load it, or even freeze up computers entirely.

Because if it was progressively getting worse, it seemed like this was a Sota problem. There was a workaround to use --force-glcore, but there is terrible performance and hitching in that API compared to Metal.

Thanks to a single user who posted in a bug forum, and by chance I saw it, I found out this all got fixed in the Dec 5 macOS update.

For me this fixed hitching and performance in gameplay a great deal. I think I must have gained a ton of frames as well.

So if you are running on macOS, on Mojave and having trouble, update to 10.14.2

2. MaverickJesterX

MaverickJesterX Avatar

Thanks for this information. I was very unhappy. I had stopped playing. I did not blame Sota though. I have used Mac for more than 25 years so I was sure it was caused by Apple and Metal. I do agree that developers have to evolve with the platform, but I think Apple place unfair expectations on developers. They are in many cases as secretive with developers as they are with the general public. I will install the game today. I hope it works well. I have performed a clean install of macOS 10.14.2 last night.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  3. Silberfarn

Silberfarn Avatar

I am glad the post helped you, Lord Trady. After updating, I saw it as utterly unlikely that a patch that had no description at all on Metal-API fixes could have solved this. Before testing, I shut down all other programs, saved all my data and braced myself, knowing how totally broken SOTA on Mojave 10.14.1 was. And then I was back at 30+ fps!
    As a long time Apple user I should have known, like MaverickJesterX, that it was 99% Apple's fault. What bugged me a bit was PORTs one-week delay reaction to this solution. After all, I posted it in the bug forum under critical issues. It also tells you a) how often SOTA developers read those posts, b) how often they update their systems and b) how often they play?
    I actually posted it twice, Dec9 and Dec14.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  4. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Keep in mind that Port does not control Unity. Unity is responsible for talking with the os and therefor metal. Not much they can do other than report it upstream and wait for their response.

But, I agree. They could at least acknowledge they've seen the post and reported.

Elwyn, Lord Trady of Blix and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.