Longbow vs crossbow

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Feb 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Right now, the basic longbow and crossbow have exactly the same damage, critical chance, critical damage multiplier and attack speed. However, the crossbow has greater range. I think the longbow should get a small boost so that it's comparable, say 6% critical vs 5% critical or maybe a 10% speed boost. What do you think?

Weins201 and Chatele like this.
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

There is a more notable difference when you start using higher tier components.
    The crafted longbow for example uses two bowstrings which when using the imbued elven ones gives a significant bonus vs the crossbow which uses only one (but uses an additional 'crossbow stock' component which gives different stats, depending on what type of material you use.).

All in all, in my experience as a "crafter of bows" the longbow seems to be the far preferred option.

Jaesun, Dhanas, Spungwa and 2 others like this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, I make bows. the 20% damage bonus you get from a hard maple crossbow is nothing to look down on.

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

This surprises me, since the only person who can out-damage me in UT uses a crossbow.
    Sup with dat ?

Barugon likes this.
  5. Yigg Endimion

Yigg Endimion Avatar

Crossbow is usually the better option. As long as you make it with the right materials and use them correctly. Imho

FrostII and Barugon like this.
  6. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

How do you use it correctly? I'm a bow user and don't see much difference in how to use a bow vs a crossbow.

Fenris

Simon LeBon likes this.
  7. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I've used both types of bows extensively, and I vastly prefer the crossbow. I get higher damage output, larger crits, and more frequent crits. I can much easily solo UT with a xbow. Not so easily with a longbow, etc. The increased range is exceptionally helpful as well.

Barugon likes this.
  8. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

Is that by virtue of the fact that you're using an xbow, or the construction/components of the crossbow? (aside from range which i believe is intrinsic to the weapon)

Fenris

9. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

In general, on hardcore end game 120+ lvl archer, bow can do higher damage then crossbow. Before it - crossbow is better. If you actively use free attack, bow is always better for you.

10. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I only use free attack, and I have 123 in ranged combat (110 eagle eye, 110 draw strength as well). My wife was using a maple longbow (same skill levels as me), I was using a maple xbow. I did significantly more damage than she does, and she noticed it. Just got her upgraded to a maple xbow, and the time it takes us to do a full UT run dropped by over a minute. So I can't agree. ;)

Spinok likes this.
  11. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Maybe its depend on the build or gaming style, I wrote based on tests of my bro 300+ STR archer tactics spec and bow, it outdps crossbow on the single target, penetrator will give even more for the free attack. In UT I dont know, I hate it :D

Mishikal likes this.
  12. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Could be... It was also apparent in The Rise and sieges. Or basically, anywhere we went. ;)

Barugon likes this.
  13. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

To me this is all about a build choice, deck and play style, as to which will serve you better.

Certainly if you are not using imbued string of X, I would go crossbow.
    If you are using imbued string of X (which I would always would/do) it depends if that stacking of stats of the imbued string is better than the tier 2 crossbow stock.

For me, as my build is mainly stacking attack speed, having a longbow with 2 imbued strings of speed is better than a crossbow with a tier 2 stock and 1 imbued string of speed.

So to OP, try both and see what works for your character.

Edit : Oh i'm an odd bow user though, i use my bow mainly as a high DPS single target DOT on a target.

Regards
    Spung

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Mishikal and _Twilight_ like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If you're using auto-attack then that equates to 2.5% less damage over time for the longbow. If you're using free-attack then it's likely even worse.
    I did. Extensively. The crossbow not only does more damage over time, it also allows me to attack a target that is significantly farther away.

Anyway, my suggestion of 6% base critical vs 5% isn't much. Just something to make up for the extended range of the crossbow.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Mishikal likes this.
  15. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

PEOPLE...need MOAR INFO...

@Barugon please explain how its 2.5% less damage for the long bow? How did you build the crossbow to account for the speed loss?

And everybodypeeps please give more details? are we stacking dex? stacking str? running light armor and flurry? single target?

I already shoot so far its annoying, not sure I can live with even further I'll be hitting stuff in other games.

FrostII likes this.
  16. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

In UT, the ability to hit the mobs at the bottom from the top of the hill with a xbow makes all the difference in the world. It makes a lot of difference in the mages room in the rise too. ;)

FrostII and Barugon like this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If you're using auto-attack then that extra 7.5% speed directly translates to 7.5% more damage over time. 10% damage bonus (hard maple) + 15% speed bonus (imbued strings) = 25% more damage over time. 20% damage bonus + 7.5% speed boost = 27.5% more damage over time and 7.5% less arrow usage.

18. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Except corpion poison is on hit and is not getting that 20% damage boost.

Also never actually done the testing for the maths, but is flurry additive or multiplicative with the weapon attack speed?

19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

If you really want to dig into it (and ALL weapon classes could do this)

Short Bow is a Short range HEAVY penetration Weapon = Damage boost Crit Boost Raneg decrease and accuracy decreas A lot with range
    Long Bow is a Long Range Accurate Medium Damage Weapon = Damage standard, range + accuracy ++
    Hand Crossbow (not in game but nees to be) Shorrt Rage, little damage, FAST weapon = Small range little damge but a poison boost
    Cross Bow, Long Range Slow heavy Damage = Speed SLOW, range ++, damage +
    Heavy Crossbow, Heavy Damage but range is same as Crossbow = Damage +++ Rang + speed SSLLOOOWW Piercing shot +++

Now same can apply to every class dagger, short swords, long swords . . . .
    Spears, Halbards, pike . . . . .
    Hammer and axes whould be separated completely but again large / small / heavy / light / spiked / double headed / . . . . .

Soo much potential just sitting there.

and now my dig. . . But wait 4 players can Attenuate in UT in 5 minutes we must adjust.

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes it's per hit, so you will get 7.5% more damage over time from it using a longbow that has imbued strings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.