Need Help Boosting FPS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bluezone5, Apr 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Nice and welcome :) Thanks for sharing your experience !

2. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

I believe with Intel CPUs the thermal throttling is built into the CPU itself, BIOS has nothing to do with it. It certainly used to be the case that AMD left that to the motherboard to handle.

3. Rekih

Rekih Avatar

That's not true. It is therefore a good idea to seek out information before spit any words.

To the OP:

If you have an Intel processor, you could say that a CPU core temperature of over 40-45-degrees Celsius while idling and/or a temperature of over 80-85-degrees Celsius while under full load is probably a cause for concern. Under 80º there is zero problems.

I worked with my cpu at 75º for three years now, zero shut downs.

@bluezone5 if you need see your cpu specs anytime, use this: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/e...6820hk-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html

Rada Torment likes this.
  4. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Well im happy to let you guys break your computer if you want to, for those that doesnt want to break their precious, keep your cpu under 70 degrees at all time, 60-65 max while gaming. Over that you have an overheating issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_temperature

5. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

The only CPUs I'm aware of that are 'overheating' at 70c are some of the AMD chips (I believe the threadrippers need to stay under 68).

Intel rate most of their CPUs to a max Tj of 96-105 although I personally wouldn't let them go higher than within about 20 of Intel's stated max under a torture test.

My last CPU was a 3rd Gen i5 which was OC'd and ran up to the low 80's under sustained full lead - TJmax for that is 105. Typical gaming temps were around 65-75 but frequently peaked in the low 80's.

I got 6 years or so out of that CPU and its since been in my son's PC still going strong.

Tom's hardware has a pretty comprehensive guide to Intel CPU temps: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337

Rada Torment likes this.
  6. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Scanphor and Rekih are right. No Intel cpu can overheat or cause any problem in 70-80º range, its technically impossible with current chips. 5 years using my i7 4790k at 72-75º at working and gaming, running perfectly fine.

AMD is bit different as Scanphor said.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Scanphor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.