Global auction/market search discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by golruul, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I suspect that the BMC is sitting on one of the largest mountains of goods of anyone in the game.
    I've stopped selling anything and everything other than hard hunted and rusty goods...
    [​IMG]
    and even as far as those are concerned, I'm only selling to NPCs...
    Only when I need the cash that is, which is rarely o_O~Time Lord~

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  2. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

A)I thought that global search is the main part of the discussion here.

B) What kind of rare drop did you mean? What is rare drop for you ? ;)
    High-level PVE-god can solo anything now, 2 high level PVE gods especially if they made to work in pair can kill anything extremely fast with timings which are even probably hard to imagine for you, if their computers are strong(and they usually are) they can multi-box and speed of killing will be unbelievable. So there is almost NO any RARE drops from boss/dungeons in the game now.

The only exception of rare drops probably where monopoly could be done is the bacchanal belt from Fall and probably goods grinded from encounters, with fall case would glad to see how traders would implement it :D

C) It would not work for almost ANY goods. Would work for some goods and would not work for almost ANY goods is pretty different.

D) I didn't like your example because it deviating reality, Coto market is already suffering from manipulations and etc, one more, one less who cares its bad example, and again almost ANY other goods(even if they are "rare") are different, if for example heart of vrul or spider belt or some blueprints are rare drop for you, as soon as you begin to purchase it everywhere, people will go to grind daemon and spider or liches, and it would be constant supply, how long you would buy to make a monopoly ? )

So all those scary fairy tails about monopolies which will kill all trading for casual players are just fairy tails. Monopoly who does not control the supply is a shitty monopoly and control all suppliers is VERY HARD.

Gia2 and Time Lord like this.
  3. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek: I won and I just keep winning! Forever! :D
    [​IMG]
    :D Indeed :confused: :eek: Does anyone else need another bag of blood from this game?
    [​IMG]
    As a founder and stock holder of our game, I feel sort of dirty now :p~TL~

Spinok likes this.
  5. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Maybe you should reread the post of @Ryodin Stormwind I was referring to as it is not about defining a fix price every avatar has to pay for an item it is about defining a more reasonable base value for items like a RRP (recommended retail price) to make visual indicators (e.g. < = cheap; > = expensive) possible to display if this item is generally cheap or expensive...this would be more a QoL-thing as avatars could of course open their browser to do a quick price research but this disturbs their ingame experience. Using such an indicator system with the current item prices and nearly everything would be valued as very expensive as I think the displayed ingame item price is generally very low, is not really a help and maybe more used to prevent that avatars are selling everything to NPCs. ;)

6. oplek

oplek Avatar

Eve calculates an average price in the market for buy/sell orders. But didn't you know? The buyer having any information will eviscerate the economy. They must be kept in complete ignorance. We can't have any pro-consumer mechanisms out there, otherwise, we can't keep the well-established sellers afloat.

Cyin, Synergy Blaize and Time Lord like this.
  7. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

[
    And I was saying that it is unnessary. The market will set its own price, unless the item is sold by an NPC vendor.

Astirian, Amelli, Cyin and 1 other person like this.
  8. City Slicker

City Slicker Avatar

Well I think it would be very healthy for the game to have a global auction house. not so healthy for the few RMT'ers out there. it would messy up there day.

"but if you wanna make an omelet you gotta break some eggs"-Tyler Durden

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    FrostII, Amelli, Cyin and 2 others like this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

So where's the counter-play when opposing this monopoly game of SOTA for sale economics?

There must always be balance and balance requires counter-play o_O even when talking about competitive economics.
    ~TL~:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  10. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

And gold to buy the rest.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I actually have very little motivation for my characters to do anything in the game because I've pledged, purchased and invested so much into the game, that in many ways, I've bought my way into boredom o_O

I'm truly hoping for an economy market sink that's fun to participate in, like some sort of difficult trade game which could entertain through eating up some of my play time. Each time I see our game's early concept model, I can't help but to think that the cart/or horse drawn wagon seen there could be a hint at such a trade game where weight is added to create a meaningful and fun to play marketing/trade game. Without weight, our current trade game lacks actual game interaction. I'd like to see player trade gypsy with purposeful reasons for them to move themselves around our map.

When goods and all things have weight, then our economy can become a healthy gaming environment with less motives for stockpiles as high as mountains. No one would want to take the pains to move enormous amounts of it for commerce and thus it would acquire added value for the market transport game play.

Our game isn't finished yet, so there's still room in our production world for these things to happen, if they will ever happen.

Real world marketplaces have taken away any thoughts of creating a deep and meaningful actual trade game play. There will always be real world marketplaces for ingame things, yet when that real world marketplace becomes the elephant in the room stifling the content we could have for actual game play, it's time to push them out, which is something those that earn their real world income from games will always try to fight against because it hurts their real world profit margin, just as we see them in this thread attempting to do. They're not bad people, they just desire a steady income without upsetting the way they trade or the upsetting the value of the things they've saved or horded (ie) real life worked for.

Real world market gamers increase Power Creep, which can truly kill a game.

We already are seeing this Creep effect through rare drop items. Those aren't a problem, but become a problem as they scale up in power over the years of gaming progress in order to satisfy the desires for ever increasing character power.

One of the better things we have to look forward to, are the siege PvP instances, because they are truly the best gold sinks we could have in the game which also stimulate low level trade occupation gaming... which if coupled with the trade game with added weight mentioned above, would help us crate not only a thriving economy, but an added value for the trade game player... and as for the real world monetary gamer, they would still have a real world money making economy due to having a much more gamer attractive game which actually attracts more people.

That's all, just an Op-Ed, and I'm most likely outnumbered by real world monetary gamers in this thread, but when it comes to having more game or having more profit for some few people's actual income they make from trading ingame goods, I'll side with having more game every time.

Adding weight to commodities and things is the way forward if you ask me.
    I may be an idiot in some of this, but that's my Op-Ed about it all :)
    ~Time Lord~

Cordelayne likes this.
  12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Weren't you just campaigning for an auction? The exact opposite of this?

Here's a news flash to everyone that thinks the economy is dead. Chris said there are 100,000 transactions a day during one of his recent streams.

If you are bored because you aren't getting any of that, go find a good location and participate. Make that a goal, raise the gold to get the spot (or just find it by asking, more likely), and play the merchant game! It is fun and rewarding and just because you haven't decided to participate doesn't mean it's a good idea to kill it for everyone who does.

Time Lord and Alioth like this.
  13. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

What has been done is failing. Change it up.

14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Must be in the amount of arrows, because there's not that many people playing the game :confused:
    I said or meant to say that I'm bored because I'm rich with so many properties and without need of ingame money :p (pity party time get a fiddle for me! I bought it all at the Add-On Store) :confused:
    Maybe you haven't read my other posts here in the thread on game design. I don't write signed complete contracts in my comments, only my continued suggestions for better gaming.
    I apologize if I didn't restate all my previous views on the subject but I didn't want to be redundant.

An auction for commodities and simi-prepossessed goods is what I'm advocating for, with a single auction-house in Brittany and when all goods have weight and needing labored weight transport to and from such auction-house (player wagons). I actually think finished goods need to remain where they are, on the vendors our game provides us with.

:rolleyes: I also believe that solution leads to a sort of middle ground.

Chris must have his own thoughts on creating an auction-house/s or he wouldn't have mentioned thinking on installing one/some. My comments are only meant to suggest what such a market auction house should include and exclude in auctioned goods and add much more weight to them.

I actually remember once long ago a thread that was arguing against the public vendors before they were implemented.
    (Currently two days ago, I passed Kingsport's public vendor and it was un-used or just totally empty).

I think there's better gaming to be had within our trade game or lack there of and I'm searching or exploring for more game and less outside game business interests before those outside business interests take over or overshadow what we should have in better gaming mechanics and "why there's a need for them now better than later"...
    But I'm sure Chris has his own reasons for wanting or exploring to create one o_O...
    I generally always think he knows what exactly he's talking about :)
    I'm only offering him suggestions because if he wants to do it he will.
    :D~TL~

Cordelayne likes this.
  15. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Yeah, I'm of the opinion you should never have to leave any game to use external tools.

Elite Dangerous struggles/struggled with this.

I'm absolutely not dissing them, of course. They should be a nice extra for the enthusiast but Joe Bloggs should be able to do everything he needs to do, in-game.

Cordelayne, Cyin and Time Lord like this.
  16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

So you've reached the top, and had to stop, and that's what's bothering you? :D

Time to run Events. You can never reach the top there, there will always be more that can be thought up.

I see now, auction + wagons, not auction or wagons.

I don't see wagons happening, that's a bit out of the ballpark at this time.

I'm going to guess it'll be a world or local search for buyers.

---

BTW, to anyone wanting more commerce, we just finished the swap meet, in Crossroads this weekend. From deeds to mats to COTOs and artifacts, large quantities changed hands. I was watching people in Trade asking for/advertising stuff at the same time, which they could probably have offloaded if they had come to the swap meet.

It would be nice to see pop up swap meets start, just go for it if you have the urge. Do a pop up swap meet by Central Brit.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

what is exactly the swap meet? just curious

Time Lord and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Sundays at 7 p.m. Central whoever is up for it gets together and trades things for half an hour. We make sure it is near a bank, so you can throw a bunch of stuff in beforehand, then you just trade. Say what you want, what you have, and try to strike some deals. It lasts half an hour, but a lot of business gets done.

I would love to see other play times doing these as well.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Give me the ability to search every vendor in the game, like UO finally did, and everything will sort itself out and almost all will be happy. And SotA will prosper for it.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Was that universally liked? Any problems with it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.