Data scientists need not apply

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mimner, Jul 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Wouldn't *shrugs* be easier to type ?

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yeah but I am old and I like ASCII smilies.

Jaesun, Echondas, FrostII and 7 others like this.
  3. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I heard it to... said it multiple times in fact.

@Mimner, I am one of the few people who don't think it should be changed, because of the reason it was put in place.

That being said, It was not put in place to force people to take a break.

It was put in place for the following reason:

1) Double EXP becoming the norm and people out leveling the content, getting bored and leaving the game
    2) Death decay being removed
    3) To prevent long time players for the game (alpha) from far out leveling new people coming into the game
    -- This last one works, because you no longer see the Haves vs Have-Nots. (
    ---High-End players able to get items and load vendors up with insane prices for gear players want. Now almost everyone can get them with some effort.
    --People asking for server wipes. Check the forums about them.
    --New players can get to current high level stuff easy enough, while alpha players can't get past that hump because of attenuation. So IT IS working.

You by no means are forced to stop playing, you are forced to stop grinding.

You increase to 2 hours, people will want 3. You increase to 3 people will want 6. NO CHANGES asked for that they have begrudgingly implemented have made the community any happier. They just find the next thing to complain about.

I'm one of the people that think removing death decay was a bad idea.
    I'm one of the people that think permanent double EXP was a bad idea.

Roll those back and you have no need attenuation. Right?

It's the knee-jerking to all the other stuff that got them here. So if they are taking TIME before making yet ANOTHER massive change, LET THEM. @Chris has said people have written into Portalarium to have him terminated over changes(nerfs) he has made. Just SAD! Anyone who thinks it's okay to jeopardize someone's lively-hood over a game you are opting in to play... go do something else! (This is me refraining from saying what I REALLY want to say)

Manerd, golruul, Cordelayne and 3 others like this.
  4. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Is this what Chris said? So attenuation was in place because 3 people argued about the cap and not because was something positive for the game and the playerbase?

5. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

Devs should stop wasting our time and remove this stupid mechanic from the game or at least change it for a daily hardcap like 20million xp. The current system are punnishing casuals and rewarding hardcore people that play 15 hours a day.

6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Old people don't know what that means except for ツ if they know japanese.

7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

On my end, I would still prefer the attenuation mechanic to be changed somehow. Having a max of 1m or so per hour means if I reach that amount, my progress comes to a near halt. Now with a 2nd child and new born, I barely have time to play, and when I do it's for no more than 2-3 hours. I gotta prep up, find a group for the things I want to do, and then 35 minutes later I'm stuck waiting/doing something else, because it is so close to pointless to continue killing mobs past that point. I'm not saying remove it, I'm saying tweak it so that it reaches a cap that casuals like me wont hit after so soon, but will still slow down other hardcore players if they decide to do zones they could easily reach 2m+ per hour for 20 hours a day. That or give a "resting" extension to attenuation like many other games give resting bonus exp.

Dhanas likes this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I said I am old, not almost dead :p =D

9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Haha. Ok . :)

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They should just give everyone 20 million for logging in each day. Then we can all just spend our time on a practice dummy.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's not ASCII though.

12. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I tend to agree with these two points, albeit not necessarily for the reasons you mention.

The initial problem I "heard" about death decay was early on after we became persistent (R35-ish?) when people who had gotten a lot of GM's saw them dropping after dying. Should someone lose hours of work from one death? Likely not. My thinking is that the death penalty should have been something that became harsher as you died more within "x" amount of time. This would restrain someone from trying to keep killing the same mobs over and over again when they couldn't because it would force them to think about whether they wanted to continually die to content they couldn't reasonably handle alone. This created another problem in that if you consider this something that could push people to group up, then people would get pissed at members of the group if they died - or they would argue against being forced to group. But a death mechanic works to reign players in. A formula could possibly have helped (I'm no PhD, just a J.D.). Something like this: first death = "n" XP or a small percentage loss in one RANDOM combat skill; second death = a higher "n" XP or a higher percentage loss in one RANDOM combat skill; etc.

On the subject of double XP, I agree that it should not have been made permanent. This is something you hold out for special events, new releases, weekends, etc., in order to get your players into the game. Not much else to say here. :)

13. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Seriously 20 mill a day????

Shroud NEEDS to stop pandering to the Highest Level Solo players who seek, more challenging content & non-stop XP gains, without a Cap.
    (who ironically seek XP within a Group in order to advance their skills)

All this would do is encourage the "few High Level" players (who have a full day to play), to insist on more higher level content, cos what is here now isn't "rich enough" XP/Loot wise for them now.
    High Level players shouldn't always be the catalyst for more XP & higher level content.
    The "more AVERAGE players", wouldn't be able to do the added high level content, even in a group!

@Magnus Zarwaddim Even though I was personally pleased at Death Decay being eliminated, I do agree that it's passing & lack of consequences (that makes the game more Fun for "average players") it is indeed a fact that "some" are doggedly perusing being "the best", who have become the latest issue for the Devs, who are trying to balance content.
    Those few players want to continue being the Highest Level Players & demand harder content/loot for them to pursue & a removal of the XP cap.

It really is getting time to make some sort of a hard cap for player skills, because it is becoming "a dog, chasing it's tail" for the Devs,
    to continue adding higher content for the "Few" rather than what the "Many" require.

I get it, that the Highest Level players, keep wanting the best XP for their time & to be the Trailblazers for being THE Best ingame....
    Soon Raid Groups will be introduced & the Level of Mobs should/will become WAY more challenging, than the Solo Uber players can defeat solo/duo today.

It must be remembered that Online SotA is an MMO= an online video game which can be played by a very large number of people simultaneously & not designed to be a solo players game...
    Go to Offline mode & "be the most Uber Soloer". That is why there is an Offline/Solo version of Shroud.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    nimueCW, Gorthyn and Gravidy like this.
  14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

True enough. But semantics semantics ^^

15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

This dude is way smarter than me and even I could see attenuation is terrible and makes no sense. If it’s a bandaid pull it off already we want decay back already... hrmm w8 that’s not good either.

BUT who doesn’t like beating a dead horse?

Seriously play for 12 mins afk for 50 does that sounds like fun to anyone?

Girlsname and Dhanas like this.
  16. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Does grinding for hours on boring content for no purpose sound like fun to anyone? -- yet people LIVE in UT
    Does mining for hours to get ore sound like fun to anyone? -- yet people LIVE in Elysium and Etceter Crag Mines.
    Does crafting for hours on end making gear sound like fun for anyone? -- yet people do just that.

I don't AFK unless I WANT to. Aattenuation doesn't stop you... you can still earn NORMAL exp for an hour or two after, before the decrease gets nuts. So you want to earn MAX exp becaue you can? To what end? GM whopring? E-Peening... I mean seriously to what end?

Go do something else. Fish, Mine, craft, make ABCs into song sheets, deco a house, etc, etc. Oh that's not fun for you? Well grinding mindlessly for hours on end is not fun for me.

17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

What if I don’t like any of that stuff and my sand box is adventuring and character development, it’s fine if you like the dance parties or like make books what ever and that’s all cool.i prefer building out my character and I can make more xp by playing 12 min in Tartarus and going afk then I can playing straight threw but it’s a bigger issue for those who can only play an hour or two a day they seamed to be most punished by attenuation. They are capped at 2 million a day essentially vrs those who can do the afk every 20 min thing. btw I’m not saying u can’t do those things you mentioned but your saying I have to or be punished by attn.

Sure ur gonna say they can play threw attenuation but that next 50 min is hardly any xp Not worth the reg cost or my gear damage. Better just to wait out the penalties.

And the biggest issue as I see it risk vrs reward if I’m doing hard and slow content were my gear breaks and I cannot attenuate and compair that to easy no effort content like ut or tartutrs that harder content should be more rewarding then the afk do nothing content stuff like upper tears.

Dhanas likes this.
  18. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Serious 2 questions:
    1) Before permanent double EXP and removal of death decay... WHAT DID YOU DO?
    2) What is the END GOAL? What is attenuation preventing you from doing?

To me it sounds like you want to get so high and solo your self out of the game, because eventually there'll be nothing left to do. If that's the case since you don't like doing other stuff in your sandbox MMO (not Port's), why continue playing? What sense do you think it makes for Portalarium as a business to cater to you in that end?

19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I played in the rise for an hour or two or I joined a control point group for two or three hours depending on how long they ran.

Well if I want to play I mean actually play for example a high end dungeon like a new player made dungeon at about the 30 min mark I’d just be wasting my time since loot is worse than any non player made dungeon and attenuation shuts off xp gain. My end goal is to do some dungeon for and hour or and hour and a half and maximize my gain for my time spent.

Wow did it right when they made dungeons geared around 45-60 min rins

It is not to play for 15 minutes and twiddle my thumbs.

Dhanas likes this.
  20. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I dont ask for new content, I was not against death decay, I agreed to the idea of attenuation before it was even put on the game just to shut up some of the players on the forums about " the gap". Many of those players about the gap are gone now anyways and we are now hearing the other side.

One thing I would like to correct here is " Aattenuation doesn't stop you... you can still earn NORMAL exp for an hour or two after, before the decrease gets nuts.". If you hit 1.3 mil in like 15 minutes, you will see the exp is not even close to normal, 800 exp from a ancient dragon is not normal at all. Here is an example of how it works. I go to ut to solo some exp, in 10-15 minutes im at 1.3 mil up, but still have 45-50 minutes left on the hour. The attenuation code its trying to make a calculation to end up at a mil per hour, because I got that mil so fast its setting the exp super low. Now if I keep grinding that same area once I reach the time I started at + 1 hour, you can then see the exp start to go back up as the attenaution code is trying to set you to a mil per hour, you will find the second hour nets you 1 mil exp.

To answer the 2 questions, I dont know if they were for me but I like to answer questions :) .

1) Before permanent double EXP and removal of death decay... WHAT DID YOU DO?
    I was killing stuff for exp, trying to get the most I could for my time. Often doing superstition canyon.

2) What is the END GOAL? What is attenuation preventing you from doing?
    I dont know if I really have an end goal, I just have goals I try and reach and then make new goals to reach. Attenuation is preventing me from getting much more then 1.3 mil per hour, thats what it does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.