SotA Dev Hangout 4.2.13 ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FireLotus, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Submit your questions for today's SotA Dev Hangout right here. We go live at 5:30 CST so check back for the link around 5:15!

Watch us Live! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1En7RGEqSA&feature=youtu.be

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

FEATURE: A game that can immediately smack down all lawbreakers or provide justice against all lawbreakers in safe areas, with some areas of wilderness being unsafe, where a traveler would have to be wary and have friends or hired protectors, and risk attack by murderers and thieves.

A realistic version of the 'world' (having to do with the grief-player, also the PKer who isn't solely out to ruin everyone else's game, and the PvPer). I'm 100% disinterested in fighting [in-game] ALL the time, though I am not 100% against EVER fighting [in-game]. UO tried unsuccessfully to provide some lawful NPC [Lord British's guards] to help the playing adventurer.

If the game world could be more realistic [it is a fantasy, but there's also immersion], then in every lawful area, guards would be on patrol [possibly with trained guard dragons or the like], and adventurers within these lawful areas would be safe from murderers and most thieves, most of the time. There would also be the possibility of proof(s) and witnesses, and prosecution, jail time or executions, bounties, and so forth. However, if the game world cannot be at all realistic due to the available internal game mechanics at the time of launch, then the ideas Richard Garriott has been proposing for compromise will have to do.

I'm so weary of those whose idea of a fun adventure is only to fight and take trying to bully the rest of us into that kind of a game. They come into the chat and whine, basically saying, "Why won't you let me kill everybody and take their stuff like I want to?" They spread the falsehood that this is the funnest type of game for everyone, the most thrilling, and then they start the immature name-calling. Trying to provoke [as they love to do] they try to bully by saying "Trammie!" and "Care-bear!" They also claim that this is the most realistic type of world, where everyone can PK anywhere, and anytime. Knock it off.

Thanks.

EDIT: A Justice System CAN be FUN: Intrigue, Court, Public Punishment/Public Service, Jail, Escape from Prison, A PC or NPC quest to come into the Prison and get the offender out, Some criminal in Prison takes you DOWN -- or kidnaps you out/sneaks you out to a place like Buccaneer's Den, for example, ... maybe enslaves you for a time.

Thanks!

Time Lord likes this.
  3. c0epL

c0epL Avatar

Will injuries have an influence on the physical ability of a character? For example a broken bone makes you limp or unable to hold a shield? Will there be long-term injuries and various healing skills to cure them (bone, flesh, diseases ...)?

4. monxter

monxter Avatar

What kind of strategy do you have to keep the game economy balanced & working and the crafters needed?

Is there a plan to implement distillation, beer brewing or wine making?

Will there be a stealing skill, which enables players to steal from other players?

Thanks!
    m

5. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Ok, I have to read these to the Devs... Be nice and keep them short please. ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

Trying again my unheard question from last hangout:
    What have you thought about implementing mini-games to avoid macroing when crafting/gathering or just for fun (competitions?)?
    Wouldn't it be nice if you guys could accept some help with that? Some of us are codemonkeys... ;)

7. Boric Steelmane

Boric Steelmane Avatar

How will the Kickstarter/Backers housing placement be handled, will it be first come first serve, or will there be some randomized type drawing for a position in the list to choose your spot.

8. Nemisis Dragon

Nemisis Dragon Avatar

A couple of question which cames to my mind. I didn't have the time to follow every single bit of update, so sorry, if they have been already asked.

1. Will NPCs have 24/7 schedules, like waking up the morning -> breakfast -> moving out to work and so on?
    2. How complex will the item interaction be handled? Can I move stuff like cups, chairs and other stuff freely around the world and place them where I want? Comparable with U7?
    3. I would love to hear a sample of more complex quest with several solution possibilities.
    4. Behaviour of NPCs: will they react if I try to steal their belongings? How will they react on stuff my character does with them?
    5. Will there every be loading screens? :)

Thanks for your time.

9. Dusty Macd

Dusty Macd Avatar

Will there be UO style Event Moderator events?

10. Tyrael

Tyrael Avatar

@FireLotus You stole my thread idea! I like it. ;)

11. Nightwolf2

Nightwolf2 Avatar

What is your opinion on minimizing game mechanics that override possible player roles or professions?

Examples: Being a Guild Treasurer vs. a Guild Banking System, being a Salesmen vs. an Auction System, etc.

12. Tyrael

Tyrael Avatar

@Koranian Do you mean GM driven in-game events?

13. Boric Steelmane

Boric Steelmane Avatar

For PVP, will you be able to take the Head of your enemy as a trophy, or arm, or leg, well you know, old school UO type dismemberment?

14. Atmosfear

Atmosfear Avatar

Can I hire a butler and have some way of entering text for butler to describe house trophies and give guided tour of home?

Can there be a guest book for house guests to sign in and leave comments?

15. Dom John

Dom John Avatar

Will there be visually stunning transitions between the two map modes? (Ex. A birds eye-view diving in seamlessly to behind the player?)

The biggest scare that I, and many like me, have with the two separate map modes is loss of immersion and feeling of continuity.

16. Shadoweaver

Shadoweaver Avatar

Will there be MIDI available for real world musicians to play in game instruments?

17. HT062870

HT062870 Avatar

Are there going to be different factions we can join in the single player mod?

Is it possible for us to buy land and build houses outside of cities and villages?

Will there be random encounters of boss like enemies when traveling using the the world map?

Are the NPC going to react to us differently based upon are actions whether its good or bad?

What happens when your characters dies or fails a quest will there be some type of penalties like losing items and experience? What are the consequences?

Can npc be recruited as companions that will help you along the way?

Is the game going take advantage of high end pc specs when it comes to graphics and FPS.

18. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

I would like some information on inventory management.

I personally like the slot-based inventory of games like Everquest or WoW over the throw-everything-in-a-pile of UO or U7. I like to be able to find things in a reasonable amount of time.

I like Ultima's bag within a bag system (and different colored bags) as it helped keep things organized.

I would very much like to see such an option in SotA.

Would it be possible to add a command to dump player inventory (incl houses and bank) to a file on the local machine?

Also how about letting us label our containers (write on the outside of them).

19. marthos

marthos Avatar

What are your thoughts on the impact that the sheer number of players can have on some of the game features. If a village is under attack, for example, the odds are that some player(s) will be playing nearby and take care of it almost immediately. So by the time I move 10 hexes to help out, will the seige is already broken? I can see this as making the world map TOO dynamic in that events are already over by the time I know about them.

20. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

I would also like to have some brief reassurance that a long-term play style will be viable. Long-term as in much longer than the 40-hour quest line. While we speculate that this is the case, comments by the team have hinted things will be more limited. It would be great to clear that up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.