Since this is not your typical MMO... house / vendor?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AllGamer, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllGamer

AllGamer Avatar

I understand this game is not going to be a typical MMO.

So, I'm trying to understand the part about selling your crafted items, and the rush to get a land lot to put down your house.

If we can play this game Off Line, then, what's the point of having a house, or even selling your wares? if no body else is interacting with you when you play Off Line or single player mode?

Even when you are in Friend only mode, then you'll just be giving away whatever you don't need or asking your friends for stuff they can spare.

So again, what's the point of setting up shop and owning a house in SOTA?

2. Riot

Riot Avatar

This is one of my concerns as well. I think without more "massive" implementations then there will be little point for vendors and little point for houses aside from vanity items. I know I sound like a broken record in topics talking about this, but I think there are going to be a lot of disappointed Kickstarter donors who dish out hundreds of dollars for a house in what will possibly become a ghost town after people get done with the story. There needs to be more open-world sandbox elements to keep people invested in the world, economy, relations with a wide variety of people instead of just a few friends if you play on that mode (which I wish they'd remove personally...)

3. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

actually that's a good point

4. The Hairy Man

The Hairy Man Avatar

If you are playing offline then the only reason to have a house is to decorate it.. but the houses people are getting from the kick starter are for the online persistent world... even if playing friends only mode in the online game your still based in the persistent world so even tho u cant see other players, EVERYONE could still see your house and vendor thus allowing you to sell to the open world.

5. AllGamer

AllGamer Avatar

Part of the "original' concept of having a house is for a "safe heaven" when you log out on the MMO, so you don't wake up dead or with all your items stolen

I got that part from old games

but in this new instalment of "UO" it just doesn't make much of a difference if you have it or not

Since you are not forced to be always online as previous MMOs

6. The Hairy Man

The Hairy Man Avatar

you are always online tho unless you play in the offline mode, and the offline mode is separate from the online made, as in ur character for offline mode will never be able to be played in the online modes.

eg if u play online single player mode, u are still online and connected to the world, only u will be hidden from other players. but your house etc would be visable to everyone.

7. AllGamer

AllGamer Avatar

when you play with Friends Only mode is or Single Player Online mode, is just like Off line, since you are not interacting with any body

there's no chance to get PKed or have your stuff stolen when you play in those 2 modes

unless i'm missing the point here about this game is not like a MMO

8. Tyrael

Tyrael Avatar

The aspect of rushing to claim a land plot is more critical in the online version because of the technical limitations that a multiplayer world presents i.e. there is only so much room in the world. With that being said, there are many reasons why one would want to have a home in an offline environment and there are different games that allow just that i.e. the Fable series.

As far as crafting goes, it may be more advantageous to sell your crafted items in a multiplayer environment simply because the market of having real life people vie for your items. However having a vendor in an offline environment also has its benefits i.e. potential income from npcs.

To you it may be more beneficial to have housing and a vendor in a multiplayer environment, but on the flip side there will always be people who feel the same way about having them in an offline environment.

The great thing about the Shroud of the Avatar is that you get to make the decision on whether you play in a multiplayer world or not.

9. AllGamer

AllGamer Avatar

See, i didn't know that.

Thank you!, see that's the piece of information it was missing to make it worth while.

So, NPCs will actually buy your stuff?

has it been confirmed?

10. Tyrael

Tyrael Avatar

@AllGamer At this point, it has not been confirmed. I was just using that as an example of how it could be beneficial.

11. AllGamer

AllGamer Avatar

oh... hmm... in that case, i still don't have a good incentive to get a house.

we'll definitely not be playing the Open World, if we play online it'll be with Friends Only the house + store clerk is of no much use to us, unless it's used in the Open World

12. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

@Riot -I don't think of the house as the investment, I'm looking forward to the dev forms, the cloth map, box items, etc. The house is nice but that's not why i went there, i spent the extra for the house, not the whole thing for only the house.
    They can't make 300 players on screen because your PC is the server, while some of us have a decent computer, some don't & instead of them saying you can see hundreds & later it's, OOPS We where wrong.. It's better to upgrade the view field system than downgrade, is what I'm thinking. Since this type of gameplay has not been done before it's best not to make promises you don't know if you can keep.

DavenRock likes this.
  13. The Hairy Man

The Hairy Man Avatar

i don't think i got my point across well enough all gamer, but even playing online with friends only or online single player... if u own a house there it will still be visible to other players, even tho you will not be visible to them.

for example, you could stock a vendor on your house and other players will be able to buy from your vendor even tho u would never actually see them. in all online modes, things like homes and vendors etc are saved in the persistent world and visible to everyone even if u are in friends only mode. also you would be able to buy from other players vendors without ever having to actually see another player.

14. AllGamer

AllGamer Avatar

Thank you Hairy Man,

that's the kind of info i needed to know, to see if it was worth while or not to get a house.

Cheers :)

15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Yeah I was a bit confused to as to why this was an issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.