How many MORE years is loot going to suck?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Tachys al`Fahn, Dec 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

You are exactly correct, and definitely how things should be, the problem is, that depth of development is still years away.

2. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

To be honest, this (Kaeshiva's post that this is referring to) is how I have felt it DOES work... simply because I cannot seem to find anything loot-wise that is worth a crap during the time frame I CAN play.

3. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

ALL the years!

arcdevil and Barugon like this.
  4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

One measure of adventuring fun is not in the making of things nor in the buying of things …. but in the finding of things.

The finding of things is an important aspect to role playing games. Discoveries of little treasures each day can compel us to remain on the adventure, long after any main quest line story is completed. And we all have favorites. I remember Asheron's Call. Finding armor, weapons, and jewelry with intriguing effects led to an 'Aha! Look what I found!" feeling every session that kept the adventure going.

In contrast, what is SOTA's 'hook' for the "finders" of our population? Are our adventurers 'finding' things that create a positive buzz for that aspect of the game? Or are they instead harvesting the same old scraps, returning to town to sell, then picking through a cacophony of vendors to find a best price for something way overstocked? "Valued shoppers! Visit vendors in aisle five to receive daily progression!"

This is SOTA's 'progress problem' for adventurers, isn't it? And, with all due respect to our crafting community, it derives from SOTA relegating "the finding" of most higher-end immediately useful items (weapons, armor, jewelry) to player vendors rather than adventure scenes, doesnt it? Go ahead, test yourself on that. What percentage of your gear is bought from a vendor vs. found in the wild?

This creates a "double whammy" effect for non-crafting adventurer "finders": On one hand, instead of a positive "look what I found!" buzz, the finder's mood here sounds more like "Ho hum, I got the same crap at Level 100 that I got at Level 1." On the other hand, over-crafted goods in over-stuffed vendors now makes things terribly easy to find in the game, diminishing the need for 'finding' game play even more.

In SOTA, the non-crafting-interested 'finder's' game to has been diminished to be about 'buying'. And we can see the effect it has had on our player population. Fix this to fix the game.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  5. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

2020 is the year loot stops sucking! It's my New Year's resolution!

6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Given that most new years resolutions are abandoned by mid January, you maybe should have picked a different way to convey your intent.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  7. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

2020 the year of nonrusty junk loot = better loot

8. Dawgs of War

Dawgs of War Avatar

I hope it does not take a year.

Just sayin ....

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I've been playing ESO the past few days and while the questing and graphics are really great, the loot is nothing to write home about.

I really wish that SotA had more story and better questing.

Xandra7, Cordelayne and Anpu like this.
  10. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

you obviously haven’t played or explored long enough yet.

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Chris is absolutely going to work on our worthless loot in the next month...
    Let's see what he does and take it from there.................:cool:

Cordelayne and Anpu like this.
  12. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Chris !Question I would love to know what the top 20 most discarded items are, and if possible, the top 20 most abandoned loot items on monster corpses (meaning, someone loots the corpse, takes a few things, and leaves behind x)

13. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Great idea and that would be a cool api to see. Is it available?

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Huh. I found the loot to be really rewarding. Though, maybe that's just because of what I'm comparing it to.

I suppose that depends on your progress, though. Or if you're much into crafting. I do seem to recall getting a lot of ordinary items at low levels. But even then, bosses always drop an item with some buffs, and the way the crafting (and scrapping) systems work, those items are useful, even if they're no good for your build.

15. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

How long? Well until Star Citizen gets fully released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.