Pot Town connector rules are out dated.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mal Hari, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal Hari

Mal Hari Avatar

Pot Town connector rules are out dated.

So lets start with the basics.

1. Connectors: These allow you to teleport to the Over World or other towns (POT, PRT, NPC)
    2. Connector can be a Cart, Boat, Balloon or Hatch. What ever type of connector you have in one town has to be the same in another (cart to cart or boat to boat)
    3. Connector to over map is locked to map and maybe can't go where you want. (but I have see these move and I would think it easy to add another in town where ever a player likes. While still leaving the original. many towns have 2 as it is a boat and cart.)

4. Connectors to other towns I'm being told: "We keep all non-boat interconnection teleporters (wagons, underground hatches, etc.) in the same central "hub" location. Players who use POTs quickly learn this is where the main interconnection teleporters are located and can easily find their way back to where they came from.

For most towns this is central, or Docks. But i have to ask when you say: " and can easily find their way back to where they came from" Wheres that? back to Novia? because if your saying back to the other town I just came from. I would rather that connectors be where I arrived in town not at the top of some distant abandon mountain. (Arriving at one end of the map but the return cart is on the other end of the map? not a make sense rule.)

When things got started maybe this was a good rule. The main point of the rule is making it easy for a player to find there way out. That is the only point of the rule. But i have to ask are you doing the opposite of making it easier? I believe it's time has come for this rule to be thrown out.

For the biggest towns: Were so spread out we in part will cover/ build our towns in the central areas. (so maybe it doesn't mater as much for large towns.)

For the small towns: This rule goes against the whole point of the rule. I'll concentrate on the newer player. because Older players know how to log to main menu and restart on over map, as well as use recall, teleport to friend and teleport to zone Scrolls.

I'm going to use Jade Mountain as a example it's the smallest size town Holdfast. (There are many smaller towns that are the same way):

When you enter Jade Mountain you arrive at entrance 1 (the town is built by TB1 and the Arrival is set by TB1.) . You'll find a small beautiful town in the mountains and that's it. But is it? Actually Jade Mountain is close enough that it has a connection cart to Storm's Reach (NPC Town). But you would never know because that cart it way up on a hill on the other side of town map unseen/unknown.

How would a new player know it existed? they might run around some through empty woods but most likely would never find the cart to know it exist. Most New Players will only make the mistake of wasting a few hr's running around empty areas of a town once or twice. After that there not going to explore empty areas of POT's.

Small Towns, build there towns at other entrances than just central to get a look they want and leave all the rest of the map unused. There's nothing to hunt, nothing to harvest. So why in all that empty space would you say the cart, balloon or hatch has to go way over here where no one goes or lives to see it. (Side Note: Don't go saying they can use Teleport poles to get around and find them. I still run into players that have been in the game for months and don't even know they exist. Some in town TP poles are of in bad spots to even be seen too.

A towns connector to other towns should be in the town. Not way out on some unseen hillside.

The following are a few example of conflict with the rules:

In Storms Reach the cart to Jade Mountain is not in the central Hub. Its way far from central hub. (how would anyone know it exist? They know because its where they arrive in town.) So right here on the Dev's end is a breaking of the rules.

If i take the cart from Storms Reach to Jade Mountain. I arrive at town boundary 1 (The owner set arrival point.) But theirs no cart here to know how to get back because its up on a abandoned hill that can't be seen. That is harassing to new and existing players. The other carts should be in/around the actual towns where town owners want them.

Maybe there's another set of rule's I don't know about for Nested town Connectors many of them are by the town entrance and not at a Central HUB. (just a few examples)

Magna Planitia : Connector cart to Honor Hold is not at central its at TB1 (didn't follow that rule here or is it just a rule for some.)
    Aldwater : Connector to Heartwood and connector to Painted Caves Both not in the central location both at TB1

Many NPC town have nested carts at there main entrance not a central location. Not following a central Hub rule but it makes sense that a connection cart is where you arrive. shame you can't do it in a POT.

This is a dumb rule that makes it harder for players not easier. time for it to go.

2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

we have dungeon teleports. I can't imagine town teleporters can be that much more difficult. even if it a single wagon/balloon/boat that pops up a selector to connected towns. adding other entrances/teleporters in the current town would be awesome too.

I'd completely redesign at least one of my town if we had more flexibility here.

Elrond and Mal Hari like this.
  3. Mal Hari

Mal Hari Avatar

they can do it all the connectors are placed and movable by them.

But theirs a rule to keep it in a central hub. So players are not hassled or lost. I use to agree with this as things were being built. But with the way things are now and players have recall, T2P and T2Z scrolls. Theirs no way you can hassle other players and prevent them from finding a way out.

But what this rule does prevent is town owners from putting carts in the true centers of there towns as they were built. That makes new players lost and frustrated.

4. Mal Hari

Mal Hari Avatar

So i want to point out I'm not here to bash.

This is to start a POT owner and others, conversation on this rule and dose it make sense at this point in the game.

5. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Hi! I'm happy to respond to your points. Hopefully this helps clarify everyone's understanding about POTs.

Before the responses, I'll mention that this discussion started in a PM between us where I included the following:

To make sure we're all up to speed: interconnection teleporters are always placed by devs at the "hub" of a POT, which is near its center. The exception to this hub are the docks, where boat teleporters are placed. Players often ask for interconnection wagons to be moved from one side of a hub to another, which is perfectly fine (except for the overworld teleporters, which are never moved). However, when players ask for interconnection teleporters to be placed far from the hub, we explain that the teleporters are placed at the hub (or docks) to help players remember where they are and to provide convenience for return trips.

OK, on to your points. (I probably do a bit of oevr-explaining. I apologize if I do. It's just a big fan of "more information is better.")

You mention seeing the overworld teleporters move, but as mentioned above, the interconnection wagons/boats to the overworld aren't moved on a case-by-case basis.

Each POT template is shared by multiple POTs. The template includes the terrain, the water, the skydome, the overworld interconnection teleporter, town crier NPC, banker NPC, the signpost teleporters, and other props (e.g. docks, rocks).

The overworld interconnection teleporter is located near the center of the POT template and sends players to that POT's assigned overworld (Novia/Hidden Vale). In almost all cases, this teleporter is a wagon, but islands have a boat and underground POTs have a ladder. If this wagon is moved, it moves for all POTs that share that template. (And it would possibly be moved into some player-placed house or decoration, which would generate bug reports and then we'd reposition the teleporter back where it started.)

POT templates with a dock have a boat to the overworld. Like the wagon, this teleporter is shared by all POTs using that template and is never moved for a specific POT.

Players who arrive into a POT from Novia/Hidden Vale will find themselves at the edge of the POT. This is virtually identical to the experience a player has when entering an adventure scene or NPC town from the overworld, with a notable difference being the POT has signpost teleporters that will help them quickly travel to the POTs other exits as well as the central hub. When a player arrives in a scene, they immediately unlock a compass marker for that location. So, for example, they could know they came in from the east and that a compass marker exists to help them get back.

When a player enters the POT with an interconnection teleporter (e.g. wagon, hatch, balloon, or boat), they arrive at a central hub. All interconnections with other scenes (including POTs and NPC towns) happens at this hub. When a player uses a wagon at the hub to teleport to a nearby POT, they arrive in that POT's hub. They also unlock a compass marker for the original and target location. the Town Crier and Banker NPCs are at this hub, unless there's a docks in which case they will be at the docks. If the player wishes to return to the original POT, there's a wagon in that hub which will bring them back. It's intuitive and consistent for players.

It's a great point, but it's not the only one. Using templates instead of allowing custom changes helps us keep costs of POTs and POT changes low. Making the extra changes you'd like would require changing the templates and would take extra dev time, which is time taken away from other aspects of the game. If we had an excess amount of devs to devote to such tasks then we devs would certainly at least discuss it, but we don't have excess devs. We only have one dev working on POTs.

You may not know this, but the signpost teleporters in POTs came in pretty late in SotA's development. We added them as a way for players to quickly travel across their POTs. Before the signposts, you had to run from one side to another.

Even later was the addition of setting your POT's overworld-entry location. Originally, each POT template had only one entrance from the overworld. Now, you can set your default entry.

Not every NPC town has POT interconnection teleporters. Every NPC town that does have POT interconnection teleporters has them placed near the default entrance of that respective NPC town. The exception are boats, which are placed at the main docks. Storms Reach is an NPC town, which is why the interconnection teleporters are there.

I'm a little confused by your example. In the center of Jade Mountains is a wagon that will teleport you to Storms Reach. Using it will place you at the default entrance to Storms Reach near a wagon that will bring you back to Jade Mountains. Using that teleporter wagon will send you back to the center of Jade Mountains near the Storms Reach wagon where you started. This all appears to be correct and consistent with our interconnection teleporter rules. Is your example meant to suggest that Storms Reach, and NPC Town, should have a central hub like POTs?

Magna Planitia and Aldwater are not POTs, they are NPC towns.

I can appreciate that you'd like more flexibility and the ability to completely customize the placement of your interconnection teleporters (and perhaps other dev-placed decorations), but the bottom line is that we don't have the time or manpower for such a process. I'd like to also mention that while I may be the big naysayer here, I am sympathetic to your cause. It's long been my dream for our programmers to create player-placeable interconnection teleporters (Jira issue #64019), but we're not currently able to develop that kind of system, either. (Teleporters to POTs would be different than teleporters to adventure scenes, because adventure scenes are persistent and such a system would need to handle POTs changing names and templates.)

I hope this discussion (and level of detail) helps.

Gia2, Numa, Lily Byrd and 3 others like this.
  6. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

Make the purchase of a POT teleporter part of a special deed, or home (welcome center?). When you place the home, you pick from the list of zones you have available in your teleport to zone, and choose a town. The town owner/stewards when they hop into their town get a message requesting a link - they approve it, and bam, its now in the wagon/balloon/boak link list.

Or maybe 2 linked deeds - row sized/upgradeable to whatever size. You are teleported from one "deed" to the other deed. Think of the dungeon crawls you could have - ruined village home dungeon has been cleared...you now have to go to the next "home dungeon" for the next part.

How about 2 linked arches - similar to Ruined Stone Arch dungeon entrance, linked portals not deed/home dependent. Require xxx space around it to keep someone from walling the front/back. PLaceable on a lot, or placeable in a town.?

I know for a fact, if there were things like that, I would spend WAY too much money linking homes and towns that I go to. Merchant towns could be completely reworked.

Mal Hari likes this.
  7. Mal Hari

Mal Hari Avatar

Thank You @Sannio some of your wording was a little better than mine.

With the tiny town of Jade Mountain all by TB1 the center hubs a long way away.

And (unless theirs a bug) Your off on arrival to the Jade Mountain when using the cart from Storms Reach (tried it 3 times). When you take the cart from Storms reach I arrive at (town owner designated start point) TB1 not central.

So either way, if you came to Jade Mountain (whether by over map or by cart) you either arrive at TB1 and don't see any carts or you arrive at central and don't see a town.

But either way in the end it comes down to money and the rules lol.

8. Mal Hari

Mal Hari Avatar

Its not about the teleporters. Its about towns making sense in there layout.

But that's ok we have good story writers in our group.

Well just put in a story about the crazy local cart driver named Dev.

That for some reason drives his cart to the top of a distant hill,

That's on the other side of a lake,

That can't be see from town,

To give rides to someone. I hope....

9. Sannio

This sounds like a bug. I've entered it as issue #66269[/QUOTE]

Anpu and Lily Byrd like this.
  10. Lily Byrd

Lily Byrd Avatar

Mal Hari,

In Jade Mountains, when leaving find the wagon drover called only Nae Budge. He's stubborn and he refuses to bring the wagon any closer to town. He doesn't talk about it much since his youngun, Devon, started riding the wagon with him on the days Dev wasn't busy with his learning or his chores.

Though, Nae did talk about it one night at the Jade Valley Outdoor Pub. A couple months ago he was visiting an old friend who farmed up the valley some distance. I overheard their conversation when I was playing my lute there. Well, I heard some of it anyway.

Turns out Nae Budge was driving his wagon past the lake one night and what he saw rise from the lake outta nowhere shook him to his knees. I could tell cause he turned pasty white even recalling the story to his friend.

I didn't catch the whole thing but you could try asking Nae Budge next time you see him. You might want to ask him about it early in the day after you've arrived because he wont talk about it if he's spooked and he's likely to go missing.

I've lured him out in the past with an ale from Merrik Dragon's Brewery on Jade Island, but I don't know if that would work for everyone. He might be by the wagon. I guess you're just going to have to find the wagon and ask him.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Mal Hari, Nick, Anpu and 1 other person like this.
  11. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

On a side note, I think teleporters should work the same ways with interconnections approved by Governors. That can get silly fast, so maybe put a cap on how many interconnections via teleport exist, like to 10, or something.

Mal Hari likes this.
  12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Sannio, a down the road idea in the interest of reducing your work load and increasing our agency.

The rules you have worked out are very good, but I think every governor has their own best idea for how their town would work.

Pull all the connections from town, and give us a deco item to place on our own.

So, we get a pile of boats, wagons, balloons, and ladders in our Governor inventory.

The governor can access a menu on the item that has a drop down with all the eligible towns a POT is connected to.

For example, my town is too far from everything, I can place a wagon but it doesn't have any connecting towns in the dropdown, so it's useless deco.

If I was still near Resolute, I would place a wagon, and a boat, and another wagon over there, and set each one to Resolute. I can set a balloon, and a wagon, etc for Soryn Fields also.

So we're still limited to our connections, but we place them and move them around ourselves.

Bonus for you: no need to load the Unity maps repeatedly every time something changes or we ask nicely for a wagon to be pushed to the side. I know that can take forever. Instead edit the database entry with the list of towns and you're done. Up front labor, very little after that.

Bonus for us: increased agency and creativity and convenience.

P.S. This lets us put up a "bus" stop in the middle of town, which is actually a pretty good idea as your local wagon doesn't make people walk a mile out of town to load up. They come right to the Post Office!

P.P.S. We already have traveler wagons and balloons and boats. It would be nice to have the ones you use too, but perhaps give our deco the drop down as well.

P.P.P.S. While you're bugging stuff, if the S Mart Factorium (near Solace Bridge) exit hasn't been changed on QA, we're still exiting across the river quite a distance from the town. I did bug it last month. If it's changed, thanks!

Lily Byrd, Lord Aventine and Mal Hari like this.
  13. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Interesting…I would have thought for scenes and everything else are used unique IDs like PVE0001 or POT0298 that are normally just replaced by a changeable and more user friendly name (e.g. PVE0001 = “South Drachvald Spur”).
    Maybe a way to still make adjustable teleporters possible could be to let the owner of the teleporter select a scenes out of some kind of drop down menu and lock his selection. This would be a one way teleport to the standard entrance of the selected scene.
    On creating a new patch (or on loading the scene) there would be a query for each teleporter “If saved destination scene name do not exists (e.g. because of renaming) then teleporter = empty destination and unlocked”
    As a server wide testing of teleporters could be time consuming a limitation of placeable teleporters per town sounds reasonable.
    And to include NPC and PRT...maybe the devs could place the teleporters there either with random destinations or some kind of voting is available. I guess this can be even done step by step with just a few NPC/PRT each release to minimize the created workload.

Maybe this voting could be even used as some kind of ingame event in settlements (also PoTs)...with quests...that is activated again if the destination scene is not available anymore. E.g. placing a teleporter is creating a small construction area with one NPC. At the NPC you can select the destination you would prefer for this teleporter and by fulfilling his quest you can add more weight to your vote. E.g. delivering material to the construction site, searching for missing blueprints (usable at any teleport construction site and just one collectable blueprint in your inventory possible) in enemy loot,...
    The construction of the teleporter needs either 2 weeks or 1000 fulfilled quests. Doing the quest alone would weight your vote as if 1001 avatars had done the same selection. If one of these requirements is reached the NPC disappears and the teleporter with the top voted destination is usable.
    At least this event suggestion is maybe just daydreaming but it would add some interaction and direct influence to settlements. ;)

14. Sannio

I have aspects like this in the design for interconnection decos. Great minds think alike! ;D

Sorry about that. I can see I entered the wrong coordinates for your POT's exit. I just submitted a fix so players exit into Novia at your POT.

15. chrisjwhite

chrisjwhite Avatar

So are the teleporters linked to teleporters, or teleporters linked to towns and just zone in near the other teleporter. Wagon, boat, whatever.
    If teleporters are linked to teleporters, could something like a 'door set' be sold for dungeons? One in your dungeon, the other in another dungeon then two player dungeons would be linked.

16. Morgathys

Morgathys Avatar

In the same line of though, add street_sign used as teleport among a POT, placeable by POT owner for fast traveling. Because why not :D

17. Sannio

The dev-placed interconnection teleporters all point to a shared target. For the "hub" we keep talking about, that target is in the middle of the hub. For example, on the middle of the bridge if there is one, in the center of the open space between wagons if the hub is flat and "featureless," and at the start of the docks for boats.

Numa and Anpu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.