My wish for SOTA... Ultima parties

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sir X, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir X

Sir X Avatar

I've spent some time thinking about why Ultima as made such a huge impression on me. I started with U4, went back to play U1-U3, finished the series, and then played 10 years of UO. If I had to pick just one thing that set Ultima apart from every other RPG it would be the characters in the Avatar's party. Iolo, Jaana, Shamino, Dupre, these were characters that were loved like your best friends. The parties in Ultima are the reason my favorites are U3-U7, and not so much the others.

If I had one wish for SOTA it would be to innovate a party system unlike any other MMORPG. Make it in the Ultima tradition, with professions linked to virtues, linked to the core gameplay functionality. Moreover, make it something meaningful to be questing in a party in New Britannia. Make it the stamp on SOTA that says "this is what sets an Ultima apart from the pack."

Just throwing out ideas here. Camping bonuses for parties. Questlines specific to the professions in your party that give perks to skills or spells. Free training within parties. Benefits and/or consequences based on the aggregated virtuosity of the party. Avoiding any penalties associated with death as long as an active party member is still alive. Party reputation and fame. Party vs Party. Actual parties ;) and finally, "avatarhood" for parties that have had success, longevity, and have best exemplified the original party of the Avatar of Virtue, for which a banner will hang in the hall of fame of Lord British's castle.

What do you think guys?

Time Lord likes this.
  2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Do you mean a companion system or other players? Three was different from the others in that you made all 4 characters yourself.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Sir X

Sir X Avatar

I forgot about that with U3, although I think I named them Iolo, Dupre, and Shamino anyway. It would be companions of real players. Obviously there wouldn't be an Avatar in the party, or else the world would have hundreds of Avatars and that wouldn't be possible. But there could be a designated party leader in charge of looting rules and shared inventory like many MMORPGs now.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I'd love it (though no triple crossbow bolts in my backside, please :), as I have the same affections and memories of my travels with friends in the Ultima games.

As a MMO-type game, probably will be less NPC oriented, but focused more towards competitive gameplay with the Selective Multiplayer mode. Definitely cool ideas about the less punitive outcome if partied versus solo.

About the Virtues, New Britannia suffered a massive cataclysm with the collision and destruction of its former moons. The shattered remnants of the reformed ruin caused upheaval and changed much of the surface of the world. Centuries have passed, and the original Virtues have passed beyond legend and myths, forgotten and lost.

As Avatars, we must choose to reclaim the Virtues, or condemn them back to obscurity. Choose well thy path, Stranger. ;)

Time Lord and Asclepius like this.
  5. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

When they first talked about SotA is sounded a lot like the original GuildWars model. You could group with other people or not. If you didn't, you could fill your party with NPC companions. This could feel very ultima (or dungeon siege) like in the party system.

It's impossible to say at this time how friendly the game will be towards grouping with strangers. People usually avoid this unless steps are taken both to reward this and to cut out the loot sharing drama.

Akeashar and Time Lord like this.
  6. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

Mmf, not too fond of NPC companions in MMO's. Incentives to group up/adventure together however? Yes please :)

Time Lord likes this.
  7. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I think SWTOR's companions are quite well done for an MMO.

I can't imagine a new Ultima-type game without companions. I believe SL said we would have companions but we haven't seen any details. I hope there are opportunities for banter between multiple companions.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

SWTOR companions are very well done for an MMO, question is whether or not they ever belonged in an MMO? It did take away the need for grouping up from time to time. Either way, I know Sota will also have an offline version where companions would be a welcome addition, but I still stand behind the skepticism of having companions in an MMO.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. yakumo2897

yakumo2897 Avatar

My only concern with companions is how they affect grouping. I know its fairly impossible but I feel like you should be able to design your own. So that they are different from one other, similar to how you design your character. I would also like to see it be quest, something fairly difficult so that not everyone has one. SWTOR did rock the companion bit, but it they all felt the same and didn't feel like yours.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

From what I'm reading, SotA will allow one pet or hireling, but you can't even do much with their AI (put them on Passive or Aggressive mode) so grouping will still be necessary for tough content.

11. Fenyx4

Fenyx4 Legend of the Hearth

I fully support Ultima parties and will glad host one at my place. BYOA (Bring Your Own Ale)

Oh wait... Not the subject at hand you say? Um... The closest I've experienced to the Ultima party system in a 3d game was the Guild Wars heros system (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hero).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.