Black List

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by rune_74, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Illesac

Illesac Avatar

To continue Andreas' idea with the vendor your ignore list should automatically feed your vendor ignore list as well. I really like this idea because the chances of you coming across someone's vendor that you griefed is probably fairly small but to have the inconvenience of not being able to access a vendor or even better not purchase an item (show them what they could have had) will be a nice reminder to be virtuous.

That said I don't agree with disabling blacklists only for PvP but understand that its presence could greatly diminish the number of complaints for the GMs/counselors to handle so it does have its merits.

2. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

All really good ideas. I think smack's ideas would work the best by simply decreasing the priority someone has of appearing in your particular instance.

I think the advantages of reducing griefing and harassment outweigh the disadvantages of potential PvP "safety" abuse. That's just me though :)

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I really think this is going to be required unless there is a way to have enough moderation.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Urganite

Urganite Avatar

I want to be clear about why permanent blacklisting is bad. Not because individuals will blacklist other individuals that are just following them around being pests, teabagging the ground where you're walking or whatever. It's because people will find a way to have shared blacklists as a matter of convenience, fueled by a database of blacklisted individuals. If there is a PvP guild roster somewhere, say, the entire guild could be blacklisted permanently on a database as individuals. You guys say, "so what if you blacklist a PK, there's like a thousand more to take their place." I say, "you guys don't think it be like it is...but it do."

People can and will find a way to blacklist every PK'er if the system permits it, and even people who are not PK'ers! After all, people only get one character. Worse yet, it could be a huge back-end server problem if the list is implemented on the server. If the list isn't implemented by the server, people will inevitably be able to have the kind of bulk-classification black list I'm discussing anyway. In fact, it could be technically difficult or even impossible to stop players from having an external plugin that blacklists people based on their internet addresses, depending on how the network traffic model operates.

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I would have to agree with those who say NO blacklist. I think the selective online is good enough. Don't hinder the game with a blocklist.

If you do have a block-list make it a fixed number of people (say 10maximum) so people don't abuse the blocking system. If you have more than 10 super annoying people worthy of being blocked then maybe the problem is you not them.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

In my mind it isn't an abuse if you simply do not want to deal with a person. And if that is something that is keeping you from playing the full online game because said player basically ruins your day every day then I don't see why blocking them is bad.

In a game like this, blocking a few of the players isn't going to hurt you or them, but it could make your gameplay a lot more enjoyable.

@Isaiah if you think that someone blocking more then 10 people is the problem, well then he took himself away from them as well. So problem solved. I don't see a hinder in allowing players the ability to choose who they want to see in OPO.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. G Din

G Din Avatar

I'm also against any type list like this. Sounds racist too.

If you sign up for a multi-player online game, there is a good chance your gonna meet someone you don't like or agree with. I'm sure there will be a system in place to deal with griefers and/or report them.

8. G Din

G Din Avatar

@Isaiah *MGT470* : Well said..

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

@Gunga Din - Racist? Please. The term 'black list' has been in the language for centuries, and it has nothing to do with race. If it's an idea you don't like, just say so. Don't drag race into it.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. G Din

G Din Avatar

@Owain : easy now... The term could upset some people who take it the wrong way. Thats all..

11. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Since there will be tons of ways that one can avoid PVP, I doubt anyone will go through the trouble of adding every PK on the list. Sure there will be some PKs that will be black listed by some people just for that alone; however, this is already a Selective Multiplayer game. A black list is just the opposite of a friends list, so I am not sure why this is a big deal. It only gives more control over the online experience to the user.

I think the concerns are mainly because people are still struggling with how this game is designed to work.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Rydel

Rydel Avatar

Having the list be short and temporary would keep most of the benefits of the blacklist without giving it much room to be abused. If you can only have 10 entries, there's no way you could fit everyone who's better at PvP that you. Add in the idea that names only stay on your blacklist for a week, and trying to use it to blacklist PvPers, PKers, etc is both going to accomplish very little and be a huge hassle.

A 1 week limit should be long enough to keep them out of your hair until a moderator has dealt with them, and it's unlikely you'll encounter more than 10 major problem players per week.

13. Ara

Ara Avatar

I say no thank you to the black list. I dont like developer created limitations to interaction.

14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think developer created limitations are required in a world where people are monsters unless told they cannot do something by said rules. Without any limitations in a online game, where people have some disconnect from their actions, they will act at their worst unless there is some way to stop that.

I may be looking at the worst case scenario, but if you don't do that someone will surprise you in just how bad they can be.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The main reason I say 10 people maximum blacklisted is because of player run message boards that have a list of people that are bad for some reason. It even happened in the UFC games on Playstation and XBOX. People would play guys that beat them up too easily so they add them to a community blacklist which you can in turn add to your personal block list. If you google it I'm sure you'll find some of those.

I guess it doesn't matter anyway because you'll never see that person again. But blacklisting someone in my opinion ought to be a serious last step. There really ought to be no reason to block more than 10 or 20 people. Otherwise people just block anybody that they can't beat in PvP. If you're in PvP mode then don't be a puss, I say NO BLOCK LIST. Settle for reporting the people.

Quite frankly I'd rather beat the hell out of the person who would otherwise block me if he thinks I'm too tough. They shouldn't be PvPing anyways, and if they are they should die over and over again period.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

This really had nothing to being to "tough" and more to do with to annoying. No one said that they want this to get rid of the tough players, I'm sure some would do this, but that's why I said it wouldn't be active for pvping...I don't think this game will have the number of GM's on that you are used to so I was thinking of a creative way to control jerks.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Owain

Owain Avatar

If it doesn't violate the game Terms of Service, it should be permitted. If it does violate the TOS, then it should be reported. Hopefully, the techs can review logs and take proper action.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.