Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

first impressions.

Discussion in 'Release 3 Feedback' started by Distrum Druharad, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Distrum Druharad

Distrum Druharad Avatar

Played a lot of rpgs and openworld games. And I am a nwn module designer. So far it looks like all the attention has been on graphics. I see why its alpha.

I commend the staff who worked on the outside layout of cities and nature as it is the best I have seen in this sort of style.

I can see a lot of quite easy to fix things that would make the game a lot more playable. Trying to get directions every time i have a place to go does not often deliver. The game needs way more obvious keywords for conversations or alternatively a compus/map. Character creation sucks big time.

A very big upgrade on ultima online but nothing compared to standard character creation in most mmos, including indie games. Its not the graphics that are a problem for me just the lack of even a small amount of options. Cannot see me being able to get my friends to play. Feels a lot like nwn with more graphical smoothness but none of the charm.

Signposts need to be more clear than having to go right up close to look at it when in real life i can read a sign at least 50 feet away. The designers sound like they know what they are doing in regards to skills/abilities and number crunching. But if this is as messy (as in cluttered) as ultima online was (which can be forgiven for being the first mmorpg) then it will basically suck. I will probably play anyway cos i am a roleplayer. But i am worried that it won't pay off. So far I think one person working on a city could. with an amateur level of ability, be able to flesh it out in a logical format rather than a haphazard array of confusion. And do not get me wrong I do not mean the visual look- thats great, i mean the way the player can navigate the city.

Some basic things that are needed in an mmo: You need to know what your 'supposed' to be doing. Not so important through the whole game but important at the very beginning. You need to be able to buy weapons and armor. Its the first thing you need so why not make it easier to do so. Also how do you make gold. NPCs do not respond to the word job, money or gold. Signposts for important areas (street signs) would be really useful.

I think the game will still have value for bringing new ways to play to the mmorpg community that may affect future mmorpgs and rpgs.

Perhaps they need me as a level designer. Shame i live so far away and dislike paying to design with unity.

2. Matthew2

Matthew2 Avatar

The interface is very sluggish. Just trying to right-click and pan around was painful. After standing still for some time the responsiveness does improve, so maybe this is more of a network issue? I found it hard to keep my bearings at times due to the jumpiness of the interface. There were also lots of sideways walking and moon walking NPCs and creatures, i.e. things did not always move in the direction they were facing. The graphics and details are nice, but not at the expense of a responsive interface. I hope some attention to UI performance is on priority list.

Getting past the UI, the game itself seems really nice. I only had about 30 minutes to explore though, and I realize this is an Alpha release.

3. Distrum Druharad

Distrum Druharad Avatar

Yes the interface is sluggish. But it did'nt seem too bad for me once I got used to keeping the right mouse button down and walking around. Garriot has this tendency to make you use the mouse in a way your unfamiliar with. The first time I played an ultima game I had to use the right mouse button to perform the main action. It was a headache as all other games had the left mouse button as the main button. Sideways walking is something I can live with but it is odd. And other players often look like they are in a strange posture. Especially when they are preparing to jump. And I too hope that the UI performance is a priority.

4. Kebek

Kebek Avatar

Well, I Understand that this is an Alpha!

If you really want to make a Chat conversation with NPC, PLEASE, allow us to double-click on that NPC, then, Open a Personnel Chat Windows beetween the NPC and Us!

This is really annoying to see everyone Asking everything in the Local Chat!

For Buying and selling, this could be the same thing!

Otherwise, it is too early to show any more interest! But I am anxious to see the rest!

5. Distrum Druharad

Distrum Druharad Avatar

agree with u kebek

6. Distrum Druharad

Distrum Druharad Avatar

I was in the countryside near the city and hit an invisible wall. I hope this is not a place for a transition and is just a bug.

7. Distrum Druharad

Distrum Druharad Avatar

Have to compete to get inside a chest. They had the same problem in nwn.

8. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

My first impression is not too bad. The initial lag was high, but turning down the graphics level seemed to help. (less bandwidth needed?)
    Double clicking on a merchant will open the buy/sell menu. After one "Buy" and endless others doing it in chat I took to clicking.

The countryside is not yet finished and some idiotic alpha testers kept walking off the edge of the world before they put the invisible barriers up. *looks innocent*

If there is a complaint that I have (for an ALPHA version) it would be I would like higher spawns on the crafting mats. I have yet to find/get any yet. But there is a ton of stuff to pilfer. (I don't normally play character who would steal, but it gives me something to sell for testing purposes.)

So far I am happy with the progress. It is an Alpha after all. Further results from Alpha 1 and 2, show the devs will be on top of the issues that need resolution.

Time Lord and prospereau like this.
  9. aparks

aparks Avatar

I don't know how to find the lord of bones quest area or the bandits.... A map would be very useful.

10. Distrum Druharad

Distrum Druharad Avatar

at least a compass. But they believe the player should work everything out themselves. Using paper and pen or something similar.

11. Elrina Sannes

Elrina Sannes Avatar

Think about all these players that get lost even with map and compass hehe When you tell me to go north I just need to turn around and get lost .Pls give as compass

12. aparks

aparks Avatar

Me: Throne of Bones?
    NPC: South West of here.

um ok?

Next Village:
    Me: Throne of Bones?
    NPC: South of here.

Um ok?

Next Village:
    Me: Throne Of Bones?
    NPC: South West of Here.

Um ok?

Next Village:
    Ugh this is where I started..... FacePalm

13. aparks

aparks Avatar

Also... How do I use a fishing Pole? hahaha

14. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Just to make sure everyone is aware, this is NOT an Alpha - it is a pre-Alpha release to test systems. That is why there are few character custimization options, why there are invisible walls all around the towns, and why there is no throne of bones quest area (there will be, but combat is not enabled so what would you do when you got there?)

ETA - This is the post that details what you can expect, and what you can't expect during this pre-Alpha release: https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/release-3-instructions.7490/

15. aparks

aparks Avatar

Didn't know combat was disabled and throne of bones...

lol

16. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

While you can't get to the "throne of bone" the throne itself can be found in a chest. Sorry I don't remember where, but it looks AWESOME in your house! It is easier to find in the single player online. And since the best way to see it is in your house and you can only place a house in single ... well anyway, it looks great.

Don't get too discouraged at the state of the game right now. It is very early and there are still a lot of things already in place. It is shaping up nicely.

Throne of Bone chair from my R2 screenshot.

[​IMG]

17. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

This is not a Game. Fun is a bug. All fun should be reported. Poke at the Pre-Alpha Releases with a stick, and report (actual) problems. You're welcome. :rolleyes::D

NRaas and Lord ByTor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.