Why is there an arbitrary hard cap on attack speed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sorgin Txakal, Jan 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Someone please explain to me why there is a hard limit placed on attack speed. I can't fathom any reason the devs would balance something by making your efforts and accumulated xp wasted instead of making alternatives or going back and making changes to the system at a fundemental level so xp gains aren't wasted into a skill that provides absolutely no value past a certain level.

Aldo likes this.
  2. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

The answer to this post is:
    1) Buff fire magic;
    2) Nerf PVE ranged skills because PVP is unbalanced.

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

at a guess, because the animations break.

StarLord and Anpu like this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I must have missed something...
    What are you referring to, exactly @Sorgin Txakal ?

5. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Apparently there is a hard limit of 1.6 attacks per second, and no skills, potions, or experience put into stats can overcome this hard cap - so essentially, at a certain point any experience invested into attack speed, or towards buffs to it, become wasted.

[​IMG]

StarLord likes this.
  6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

That’s information that should be stated somewhere.

Sorgin Txakal likes this.
  7. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

For further reference, I just went ahead and just took light armor spec to lvl 80 for a 6th stack of flurry.

I was not able to exceed the attacks per minute I had made before getting access to the 6th stack which should have automatically yielded 1-2 more attacks per minute consistently.

There is no benefit to taking light armor spec above 80 for any skill in the light armor tree but dodge, if the 6th glyph for flurry also does nothing - then light armor spec needs some serious looking at.

8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It was capped when gatling gun attacks were a thing. But i dont recall the value being capped but the ammount of additional attack speed buffs you can have active was capped

Flurry increases power of dynamic skill spam as specialization increases

Im pretty sure arkah auto attacks more than 1 time per second

9. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

There should be a cap, because it's absolutely silly to see characters attacking ten times a second, and way too many things in it scale out of control as it is.

10. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

In the current system, no one can even achieve two attacks per second, let alone ten.

@Chris said he was going to nerf archers by bringing down crit damage. Okay, fine, I can handle that - I never crit more than 500 anyway.

For me it has always been about attack speed first. I just don't want to blindly put experience points into skills that don't yeild a return.

I am just hoping, if Chris is reading this post or word of it gets back to him, he will look at balancing archers from the base output or spreading the multipliers out further standpoint, and not putting hard caps on a Stat that can still be further leveled up.

If a hard cap on something like attacks per second should exist, then let it be the value at flurry and elixer receptive lvl 200, with all possible speed attack buffs in the allowed channels factored in.

11. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

Yes, and that's a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.