1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Basic Environmental sounds for a Player Owned Town

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Anpu, Aug 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I was running around in my Player Owned Town of Hemut on my horse and was running around the whole scene. It was not raining at the time and was clear skies and light wind.

While running around the scene and stopping, you could hear nothing. Nothing like any wind. Possibly an animal or bird (like a hawk in the distance). Not even the sound of water when walking along the coast on the town. No sounds at all. It just made the scene seem completely barren and lifeless (granted I am using a desert biome).

We do hear rain and thunder when it is raining or thunder though. That's the full extent of the environmental sounds in the scene.

I don't know if this possibly is a bug, or maybe something that was never added (thus this wishlist). Or maybe I don't understand how the environmental sounds work in the game (Is it through the Skybox or are there manually placed sound emitters)?

If anything, perhaps if you have some time, feel free to run around any pot(?) and listen for any other environmental sounds in them. And see what you think.

It would be nice if there just was some very basic environmental sounds in our towns (that fit the biome setting). I'm using the Desert 01a biome and something a simple as some wind sounds and possibly some hawk in the distance and some water sounds (splashing) by the water areas.

Thank you for your time!

2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Our game can be meditative at times and even when that state is due to the lack a player's directional inspiration, such real world sounds intentional as in a movie, could go a long way to gaming satisfaction.
    Great Idea!
    ~TL~

Elgarion, simon1974 and Tahru like this.
  3. simon1974

simon1974 Bug Hunter

Wow,
    very nice idea

FrostII, Elgarion, Anpu and 1 other person like this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i think there may be a problem with your specific template. i live in forest02 and i hear rushing when near the river and waves when near the lake. no non-water sounds, though.

Anpu likes this.
  5. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Thanks for the suggestions! Adding suggestion for ambient sounds to issue #70302

Anpu and FrostII like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.