Wanted to clear something up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Oct 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Yep. I got myself into the 20's very fast. But right now I've relaxed a bit on the level grind and focused on the crafting grind. I do want to get to level 50 to start participating in the PvP battles...

2. Katu

Katu Avatar

Its vanilla.
    Even if it has bigger budget, its still the first version, with few minor fixes. You are comparing it to a game, that has had time to evolve for years.
    It already has great journal,
    Not everyone cares about sims online, just having a extra storage is good for some.
    About reaching max level in a week..
    Sota was all about skills to 80, maybe 100 and thats it. Game was supposedly made around those numbers, you can play throught with those and it takes less than an HOUR to get the needed xp.
    I get it, we have lots of good stuff here, but this new world shaming is bit rich..

EDIT: And if you pay someone, you can get personal xp farmer with easy aswell all the gear. So theres that..

3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I'll just put my 0.02$ here about this SotA vs New World.

Housing : wasn't my cup of tea from the start, I use houses in Shroud for storage, pretty much it, I get a little burst of "hey let's deco" which lasts under an hour, and won't be touched again for months. In new world, the housing grants me an extra free fast travel (Teleport) every few hours, I can place trophies to get permanent buffs, and I can place extra storage, so all around, serves a purpose for me. All in all, SotAs housing system is way better, but ideas such as benefits coming from trophies is a very neat one, so New World still has something nice to it.

Questing : Shrouds quests involve analysis, research, and actual reading to understand what needs to be done, while New Worlds questing system is either kill x, gather x, or loot x. The thing I like about New Worlds questing system is that although repetitive, it sends you in multiple locations so you can discover the world. By doing such, you can learn about good gathering/hunting/looting locations for future needs. Shrouds is more complex, New Worlds is more helpful.

PvP. New Worlds PvP is, in most cases far better than Shrouds. With the limited possibilities balancing is far easier, and for the most part is really cool. I loved doing open world PvP while doing my grind because I saw multiple different builds, all with their niches that were extremely fun, and most fights could last anywhere between 15 seconds to a minute +, no or barely any stun lock (at least not from one person), no one shots, and no clear winning tactics. Now this isn't true for Wars, but wars are a game mode of its own, so the meta for it is clearly different.

Combat. I went from dancing around 12 or 14 trolls waiting for them to burn, over and over again, or a bunch of wyverns, or a bunch of zombies, or a bunch of elves, basically, I went from burning a bunch of mobs at the same time with the only risk being me not kiting correctly, to fighting things that actually slap me silly. In the 51-60 level region, I was fighting musketeers that have near perfect accuracy, and could hit me for a third of my health bar depending on my health, but actually side dodging makes me avoid the attack. Blocking and dodging is interactive, so even if most mobs are quite similar (main complaint of many people), the fights are actually tough and require active gameplay the whole way through. Big New World win here in my case.

Level cap. Honestly, I've mostly always enjoyed the limitless system in Shroud, but actually reaching a limit, which means I don't feel like I'm in a constant state of catching up for all of eternity was refreshing. Hitting lvl 60 made me go : okay, that's done, time to set a new goal, and no matter what I chose I was fine with it because the main catching up was done.

Crafting : okay, this one is huge for me. Crafting in both games is a pain in the ass, but for clearly different reasons. In Shroud, the biggest annoyances are 1. The amount of resources required all the time, and how quickly it multiplies if you want a higher tier. New World does this too, BUT, New World allows me to process 5000 iron ores into iron ingots in a matter of seconds, SECONDS! Then, you've got the actual weapon or armor Crafting. Once you finally get all your components ready, both games offer a hugely RNG system, but Shrouds allows you to get your choices somewhat easier. Once again, it's mostly in how much faster New World allows you to craft your stuff compared to Shroud, and also let's you chose specific stats on it, either through means of crafting "Named Items" which already comes with a set of attributes and perks, or through the system which makes you chose 1 of the 4 potential picks on your item, so you still pray for RNG for the other 3 options, but you're guaranteed one you chose.

Now here is the huge part where New World has hooked me in, even more so than anything else on this list, Impact on the world. Npcs talk to me, they recognize me, if it isn't for that batch of a faction rep that keeps insulting me every time I see her, or the Inn keepers that tell me it's time I consider buying a house, there is also the corruption that needs to be kept at bay, which makes your territory go from all doom and gloom to the nice colors it had before the corruption took over. I can actually fight to take over territories, I can tax people who want to stay in my town, there is no need for Fuel in New World, you get imposed at tax which goes into the leading companies pockets, who can either redistribute it into town upgrades, defense upgrades, or simply keep it in their pockets and just do the bare minimum. When I fight in a war, I know that the result of the fight is important, because if I lose, I can either not win the territory, or lose one of the territories I owned. If I do lose it, the enemy company can actually decide to downgrade the town and ruin all our progress, so I 100% have a reason to fight them. Then, there is also the invasions. The Corrupted attack territories every 4 days or so, and if they win, they destroy things in our town, so once again, I want to fight and win, because there are actual consequences.

What consequences are there in SotA? Sieges happen all day, across the entire land, with 0 incidence if I clear them or not. If I ignore them, nothing will happen, if I clear them, Nothing will happen. NPCs couldn't give any less fucks about who or what I am, once I've talked to them once, I've pretty much seen it all, and that's for those I can actually speak to, because let's admit, the majority of the NPCs in this game have 0 identity, at all. I can be the purest of evils, or the most lovable, courageous person, no one will notice me any more than before. Nothing has any consequence.

Now bugs... New World just launched, it's terrible, there are bugs in astronomical quantity, but for anyone who has ever played a game at launch, can you truly say this wasn't expected? I was watching a Youtubers reaction to the latest update+bugs that were added, and he was laughing, saying how in 6 months we will just go "remember how t-bagging was a viable strategy because you would heal instantly?", and it's true, that's what's gonna happen, those who hurdled through will laugh about it, those who took a break will forget about it, and those who really hated the experience will be gone.

But can someone seriously tell me this wasn't our experience with this game? Weren't quests in the worst state possible for the longest time? Aren't tooltips fucked to a point where people don't know what they are reading, and if the reading they just did was useful or not? The backlog of bugs in this game is huge, but we still push through daily and enjoy the game.

All in all, New World has got me hooked, I haven't forgotten about Shroud, but I can guarantee you that for me, New World took the #1 spot in my games library for a little while, they just released their end game pvp/pve mode "Outpost Rush" that is not only extremely fun, but also rewarding, just like literally EVERY activity in the game.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Thank you for that excellent comparison @Violet Ronso ! Do hope you can come visit us again from time to time.

5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Biggest deal breaker for me is just community. Can't beat what we have here. I have no interest in playing a game like that all split up on servers. It's just not the same as everyone playing together, it's why the community here is what it is.

Elwyn, jrs99, Sarek and 2 others like this.
  6. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Avatar

I also would like to see some info on this, boating around can surely add more possible adventure/fishing related features to the game.
    I miss the good old stream with the original gang but that has not happened for a while.

Shroud has a great community, but with all the money / time / efforts that we all gave to this game, I think we deserve a little bit better than the current state.

Btw @Brass Knuckles I never got the chance to say this because I haven't really logged on here for a long time, It is an honor to have you as my neighbor lol.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

ahh you must have been the town next door? The operative word is had (as your neighbor ;)), the only way I’d even consider playing again is the boat system was added as promised hence why I asked about them.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Avatar

O I meant the house you own now next to mine. Unless I am mistaken you for someone else.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ahh right could have been I had like 8-9 houses and 3 player owned towns at one time or another. That was the cool thing about sota easier to make friends with very few people playing it. You meet less people but you get to know those better.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Living everywhere can be quite common here, as there's certain sota backers who hold allot of property. In a gaming world like NW, I don't see that potential, as it's a game that has needs to be attended. In that way NW is a very jelouse game, because if you don't pay it attention, your world withers.

I play allot of games and not just one for any long time. SOTA suits me in that way, because I can more easily pick up exactly where I left off o_O
    IF I CAN EVER REMEMBER WHERE THAT IS, "THAT IS" o_O~TL~

Adam Crow likes this.
  11. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I can see the similarities.

[​IMG]

12. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

"SOTA is better." I won't mention who said this, but that was his summary of the two games. But why is he playing New World and not SOTA right now? PVP. PVP in SOTA is virtually non existent. From previous threads about PVP, I get the indication that people want a PVP system, just not SOTA's current system of PVP. For a while now, SOTA's PVP was about fighting the top PVPers with no purpose or reward. So why bother? There is a cause and purpose for PVP in New World. It's not about who is the best PVPer but about working together to take control of land and towns back. I'm also losing sleep playing New World trying to get to 60 so I can join in on the fights to gain control of areas.

SOTA is very strong with real estate. But housing for me was functional. I currently have two homes. My main house for crafting and storing (I decorate enough to make it look nice) and my house in Brave Coast for PVP. Decorating is fun but how many people spend hours touring people's homes and towns?

SOTA is very strong with crafting. But my idea of crafting was throwing materials at Coswald or Estroma and have them make me stuff.

SOTA is very strong with PVE. But I was rather disappointed (translate: irritated) when I was in a full party, spent two hours taking down the ice giant, and ONE person got an eyeball. That didn't really encourage me to want to do that again.

SOTA is very strong with travel and logistics. I totally miss recall and teleport scrolls in NW. Implementing the universal banking system was one of the best things SOTA did. I absolutely HATE the banking/storage system in NW. My banks are getting full and scattered in every town with no easy travel between them. I don't even know where to start in trying to organize them.

SOTA FAILS at PVP. I think many of us are waiting for a good PVP system that is just not going to arrive.

13. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

+1

FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

A population is virtually non existent.

15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

dont take this as nit picking your post, I don’t discount any of your opinions. I get they are your opinions ;)

PvP sota has always been the worst of the worst.

land/ realestate sota’s deco system is pretty damn cool, however most people don’t even bother doing deco there is no point. Sota should have made housing more functional, rewarding. Overall I mostly agree with you.

crafting when I look at masterworking/enchanting it’s pretty damn cool, I felt when items broke on fails it was more rewarding to be a crafter. However it’s my opinion that thier focus on only crafted items killed the game. Finding cool loot is pretty much non exsisting in this game. If they allowed you to find great loot off mobs and such then allowed you to masterwork and enchant them I’d say it was a hard win and people would be playing this game.

Sota’s pve is horrid not strong at all, the dungeons are boring, loots boring control points are stupid etc I could go on and on but it’s terrible. New Worlds pve is tons better combat way more fun loot way better grouping way more enjoyable.

sota failed at logistics when you could travel the whole map in 4 mins and on top of that they added instant travel, however in this area NW isn’t much better I’m not a huge fan of thier travel as well.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    Time Lord likes this.
  16. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

Wow Brass, I'm offended that you would think I'd be offended that you disagree with some of my points.

I consider PVE and loot to be two different things. Loot, especially with bosses, is TERRIBLE in Shroud. I made this point with the ice giant. I became more frustrated than happy when that one patch so heavily focused on crafting. Great for crafters though. But it also affected the already poor loot drops. Now everyone is farming for recipes rather than items.
    We have the ying and the yang regarding logistics and travel with Shroud being extremely easy and convenient while NW is not.
    People do deco and love to deco but I don't think many people spend their time touring homes and towns.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  17. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Out of sheer curiosity, how is loot different in NW compared to Shroud?

18. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Mobs can drop gear, be it weapons, or armor, as well as a rare chance to drop components you can use in a variety of recipes. Chests (which are plenty), have a chance to drop potions, some resources, or refining components (basically you can turn iron ore into iron bars for free, but Iron bars can be turned into steel bars using iron bars, charcoal and a refining component).

Crafting and loot can yield generally the same kinds of items, although there are some items that are drop only, and some that are craft only, but at every level for both of them.

Gathering has the same luck based elements, mining iron will yield you, iron. But if you get enough mining luck from food, gear, trophies, you can also get a chance at Fae Iron, a rarer resource allowing you to craft special types of gear.

Basically, everything feeds into each other, and there is enough to make both looters and crafters happy about their results

FBohler, Brass Knuckles and Anpu like this.
  19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Thanks @Violet Ronso I did have a question, as Bee stated above. Are Boss with groups creature loot different (like for example our Frost Giant) 1 Kill == 1 special item drops? Or do they handle that differently?

20. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Every single mob is a "Per person RNG" loot system, meaning I can get a drop off a mob while you wont, or we both will or wont, it's all random, but per person. For resources, they are shared, but literally everything is a resource, see a tree? Chop it, any and every tree!

FBohler and Anpu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.