Monsters for Player owned towns?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xee, Feb 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Just my thoughts would love to be able to buy or get in game essences to build monsters for towns. have a limit like npc's so people can't go over the top. this opens up ability to get bosses to create things like a camp on the outskirts of town with a band of kobolds who killed some travelers on the way to town....

I want to know the community's thoughts on this as I know we are not allowed to have the lich spawners yet in towns but it would bring some more player story telling, and fun to bring towns more to life.

just my thoughts :)

-Xee

Mhtic700R, FBohler, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Honestly with the size of POT templates, and the creativity of many Governors, I would love to see this option, turn POTs into scenes like Tanglemire, have a few enemy camps, before a dungeon entrance, etc, would give POT owners that much more creativity which would be amazing!

I would personally love to settle in a town with its own set of mob camps and personal dungeon in which I could spend my time hunting.

3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

To me it sounds a bit odd, as towns are basically areas where people can live and shop. But each lot in the town can have an entrance to a dungeon, where you can have monsters.

But if there was some specified area within our towns (like a gigantic lot marker), Governors could place monsters there.

Don’t really want to run into a town to go buy something and then suddenly be attacked by a Tier 15 Litch…..

Mhtic700R and Vaentorian like this.
  4. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

I like the idea in principle, giving players more tools to produce their own rich content.

Anpu makes a good point, once you start adding mobs to your custom scene it's not so much a town as a Player Owned Adventure Scene (which is not inherently a bad idea).

Mhtic700R likes this.
  5. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Whats odd to me is how sanitized towns are with castle's and keeps on every street corner.

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There are no castles and keeps in my town.

7. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

So in theory a dragon can never cause trouble in your town? Because that would make it an adventure scene?

Would a dragon care?

Vero and Xee like this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

My entire town is an experiment of mine to show off and display only the various crafted items in the game.

9. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I'm more thinking like UO where even in towns made out in the middle of know where there was mobs that could get you and made you run home and lock your doors. I think some will not want mobs some like me would love to have scheduled events with mobs attacking town or for stories on the outskirts where I send someone via a quest to go check on why the merchant bringing our spice has not shown up. last heard he was just entering South of Silverdale... Just like Sieges I think they should if not dealt with should eventual occupy the town itself until cleared. I am a merchant but I fully support opening up players to building adventures even in towns beyond dungeons.

Mhtic700R, Lained, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  10. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Please, no. My home is my safe haven and I'd like to keep it that way.
    We have dungeons that can add some spice to a town. That way an adventurer can choose to enter a danger area or just walk around, see the sights, shop, or fish.

Sean Silverfoot and Anpu like this.
  11. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

But as a system that Governors can opt in or out of, wouldnt that siimply mean make sure your governor has no plans to include mobs in the town, and if so find another town? I'm certain tons of Govs will not opt in to this system, while others can have fun turning their town into an adventure scene

Xee, evillego6, FBohler and 1 other person like this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Instead of the ability to add monsters to towns (taking up the amount of things that can be placed)...

Much in the same spirit as our Kobold Machines (weather and time), I would like to see the ability of POT owners to "purchase events" which would happen on a clockwork bases, set to the timing of each planet. Each purchasable event would have an assigned planet, meaning that each would have a different frequency of occurance, but also it's own unique things that happen when the event occures.

Sold individually, this would provide as many as 10 different events https://sotawiki.net/sota/Astronomy.
    For instance the event attached to the sun (a very frequent event) could be as simple as a few small spiders.
    The planet Carnality with an orbital times of 29 days, could have a much more dangerous event content.

If such events could have an end time as well as a begining, then monsters and events would not pile up.

Yet in these event's development... when all the timers all hit their timing at once, (all in a great alignment or 1 or 2, or however many) then all those events happening at once need to all be congenial to complement each other.

In this way, socially, we could see town meetings and guild meeting or invitations sent out to for all to come enjoy the events, all encouraged to attend by our planets.

These are community effecting things, which means that they could be purchased as cheap as a micro transaction, or much higher.

If such events are a success, then this opens the possibilities of attaching even more events to our Constellations.

These are just some ideas to bring other's ideas to bare on such things, but I hope you all get the general idea.

Just as the Kobold Machines have their representations to be placed in order to activate them within the POT, the representation of such purchased reoccuring events could be as simple as a podium with the corisponding planet on it.

"purchased reoccuring events"
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  13. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Against the ability to turn a POT ino an adventure scene. at all. Event "monsters" can be handled by requesting a GM Potion for your event.

Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

But that won't trurn a POT into something astrologically connected.
    That's just a GM powers thing and not sold in our store.
    ~TL~

15. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Exactly that should be up the governors. I know Chris in a stream talked about having things like kobold camp etc as things that could be placed at one point which would spawn a few mobs. if you look at Silverdale market for example. the pot map is huge this would allow me in the outskirts outside of the city to have things going on for town folks. or as I requested in the past to have my grave yard spawn ever night zombies that make the way into town. they would be low enough that it would not impact many.

I had requested a while back the idea similar in that we could instead deco up for Christmas or Halloween etc.. and instead save pot deco layouts similar to how we save homes.

I also wanted to take it further with spawners and npc's giving them more life and options allowing for us to create player events that are saved with npc scripts and more so that you could have events all ready to go with a load of a scene change.
    there is some issues with loading time with something like this so its not something you would use on the fly like that of the GM potions.

I have a lot of GM potions and use them a lot for one time events which are great but even they are limited in what you can summon and numbers, as well requires you to be present and to run around presetup which you can't control people as you are setting up which makes it hard for you to get things right. it also does not allow you to summon on properties etc.. so you can't really create a small encampment that pops up with kobolds in it, it would be camp with them all around it. which could work in limited capacity. much simpler would be to give tools and another channel for pot owners called monsters with limits like that of npc's to prevent people from making farming scenes.

I also dont understand why any one would be against this considering it does not affect anyone short of the people in the scene. if you dont like it simply dont enter those pots that have them. Also some governors like myself bought extra pots once for creating player quests so nobody lives in the scene its all designed to RP an event. I dont see why we can't have this option to put mobs to make our stories. if anything players need more tools to create their quests and the likes.

The npc stuff I requested at one point included spawn times / dates so I could have the undead rise at specific times etc. same could be for npc's on lots allowing for the creation of traveling merchants that can be placed but only appear at certain times.

guess we will see in the long run what comes but I hope they do keep expanding what we can do with POTs and lots and dungeons. once they allow loot system , keys, and in recent stream they talked about being able to dress vendors and npc's we are slowly getting to that point where the players can make full content soon which is what a lot of folk been chomping at the bit for. Add in future pvp faction system and perhaps capture flag / point stuff that is in the wish list we can create whole war scenes for pvp with castles on each side to capture. the limits would be endless. add in monsters that are on same faction so you can have defenders that are mobs along with people would be neat to see imo.

well back to work here hehe pipe dream just dissipated into the air hehe.

- Xee

16. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I just don't want adventure scenes in POTs, I have no problem with tooks to create events that are non-combat, perhaps I'd waiver on PvP POTs and no XP or loot ( Now if there was a tool for the Gov to add loot to a non-XP spawner, I'd feel better)

I understand POT's and thier limitations, I manage the first POT ever in the game, helped develop it and helped test out flexible POT's before they were a thing.

Just my opinion on the matter and no disrepect to you or TL is meant.

Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm not crazy about the idea myself, but I do enjoy exploring ideas, as they tend to lead to other ideas. Player Dungeons I believe are meant to fill these desires and I don't think we've yet seen that side of our game reach it's zenith maxim. I also think that monster events in POTs would conflict with our Kobold Machines, which is another development which I think has yet to reach it's zenith maxim.

I am however still crazy about timers and linking timers for almost anything to the timings of our planets.

But it's very possible that we have yet to come accross a more quality of life, style of life or more entertaining way to implement such POT monster spawn enviormental changes.

We still have yet to implement any type of POT owner ways to incorporate NPC and their animations, daily scheduls, seasonal scheduls and interactiveness beyond standing in one place.

I believe that all our desires such as this presented by Xee, strive to animate our otherwise stagnate and sterile, POT enviorments.

Change and flexability in changes is what we are after, not stagnation of interest.

Like our random overland map encounters, POTs could handle these types of things.

Mal Hari's Walking Snow men were Awesome!
    Just think if they attacked or animated when triggered.

What if during sieges, we had some cobalists break through :confused:?
    [​IMG]
    We want more actual "attractiveness through entertainment".

:eek: @Xee 's idea here has allot of unexplored merits!
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    Sean Silverfoot, craftymethod and Xee like this.
  18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I really really want my Corpion Breeding facility.
    But appreciate you don't want to create scenarios where people can't traverse parts of a town (which is expected to be "safe") safely because of spawners. I'm reasonably content to put all that stuff in a dungeon . I guess what I've always limited is the strict limitations about totems - ie, this mob only in this room only - leads to no variety whatsoever. I'd love to be able to just place a spawner down (as you would in Unity) to make X monster spawn in this spot, so you could actually do something creative with ti. I appreciate the limits are there to prevent abuse, but sometimes they feel so limiting that there's little incentive to use any of the dungeon system for anything other than underground "parlours."

Sean Silverfoot and Xee like this.
  19. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

there is one such spawner so far. the recipe is in upper tears. it makes a t15 lich that can be placed anywhere in a dungeon BUT no loot/xp from killing it.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  20. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Player towns were never expected to be safe.... not sure why people think that... that is why they have NPC towns and PRT's for places that have standard game rules. POTS were designed for creativity, Player quests, player dungeons, PVP etc.. just like they warn people in POTS that a gov and boot them with out notice for any reason they like... rules are made for POTs so having some mobs here and there or things that go bump in the night should be allowed. Those that done like it just need to go find a new pot to live in if they feel unsafe.

I do think @Ravalox is making it so rooms are more flexible for mob types and I also think he mentioned at one point maybe it was in PM's that he was looking at replacing the totems all together with placeable representations of the mob itself for better planning and layouts. I keep thinking more like a D&D or Warhammer setup where you design the rooms and place the mobs where you need them to spawn etc.. one day I am sure :)

There are a lot of people including myself who want more dev like tools for creation and better 3d space control for objects so we can build new objects easier using what is in game. Alphanine and a few for example know how to exploit the game building to build amazing constructs but most people don't have the skill or time to build that way. unlocking things for better 3d placement even if limited to dungeons only. I came from Landmark which I was spoiled with free voxel construction , npc full scripting, pathing, triggers (on end of room lock all doors spawn x mobs) type stuff or on click of button have guards enter room and yell "Why did you click on that the end is near" than flag aggressive etc.. having that type of flexibility which we are slowing getting allows more people to build content for quests and the likes. We want POTS to have same flexibility of adventure scenes to tell the stories.

The story of Silverdale with its lore is that people are going missing at night being hauled off to work as slaves in to uncover the dungeon city temple. along with other lore that I would like to make into and event where at night the streets are not as safe. just because Silverdale is a Market does not mean its to be safe. Have you seen our sewers? the people that die as salves end up in the sewers as there is to many bodies to hide. We have multiple stories across many player cities that we want to expand and make into something more than talking npcs.

I really hope one day to have this flexibility its one of the main things that keeps me here is the ability to create content once the tools are here (pot leveler, freedom of houses on locations, multi houses per location, inner dungeon portals, key system, loot system for player npc's, traps, disarm traps, free placement monster spawners and more). The streams mentioned a lot of things over the last 7 years and one included player adventure scenes (POTS) that could be used as such so in the end we should have all of this I hope :)

Violet Ronso and Adam Crow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.