Monsters for Player owned towns?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xee, Feb 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Well so its something that exists, at least, although why you would want a Tier 15 lich in your town, messing up all your furniture and leaving lich droppings everywhere I don't know. Especially if he doesn't give any xp!
    It would be nice if a way could be found to allow this functionality in a way where we wouldn't end up with "fish in barrel" scenarios (since you KNOW folks would try).

Anpu likes this.
  2. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

two types of lich spawners I believe there is a T12 and T15. that was a start of a test they even once worked on POTS until someone complained they didnt like my liches jumping them in my town.... not the spawners in current form are broken. they dont spawn properly and leave the totem visible which they usually get stuck on. They also despawn if you get out of range now instead of going back to its start point. There is bugs for that in the bug forums. pretty sure Ravalox is going to touch all that and fix it all :)

3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I think its just a general assumption - adventure scene vs. town scene. Not saying that's the way it SHOULD be, just the current perception due to how things have, up until now, been limited.
    The notion of, I paid for this POT, and if I want to fill it with man-eating crocodiles that's my business - I have no issue with this - as you say, problematic areas could be avoided and you could add an indicator on the mouseover if the town has critters in it, for example, in the same way you can see how many vendors and whatnot. I too would love to see more variety/capability with the actual building blocks or modular construction type things (walls, floors, etc.) rather than relying on building prefabs. Fundamentally there's little difference in letting players "play" with a dungeon room vs. say, an outdoor template other than scale, really.

I'm all for more creativity, just have seen this go disastrously in other games because people will design things in a way to abuse/exploit - (anyone play Neverwinter at launch, with all the player made dungeons that were just a giant shaft with melee mobs trapped below for you to just rain damage down on? You could level cap a character in a few hours.) I think free spawners can work, esp. since monitoring is in place to detect any huge spikes in xp/gold generated. Its just a question I think of resource/time effort rather than feasability.

Anpu and Adam Crow like this.
  4. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I had recommended a solution for this would be to limit number of spawns per room , there are already farming dungeons where they put room after room which already can net better loot and xp than most dungeons and locations. If the changes are to eventually replace the room spawners with Single placeable and with limits in place for x mobs per room its would for sure slow down some of that type of stuff.

there
    yeah the abuse is what ruins it for the rest that is for sure haha. IMO like you said put up watch dogs for player dungeons and look for spikes and they have the tools to deal with cheaters or exploiters... just because you can does not make it right and some people will argue well the code lets me... haha.

Time Lord and Violet Ronso like this.
  5. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Sorry but that is just not true! There were HUGE discussions about safety in POTs and that is why there is PVP POTs and regular POTs. If you want to talk about future changes fine, but don't distort what happened.

6. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Eh I was there back when pvp pots became but there was never mention of anything back than about mobs in towns. mobs in towns were brought up ep2 in stream as possible kobold camps etc. so not sure where the idea that "safe havens" towns came from short of from unwanted pvp.

7. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Then you really didn't pay attention *shrugs*, try also remembering discussions about banning folks from towns, a thing that was decided PVP towns couldn't, keeping regular towns as a "safe haven". I am speaking to your point about "safe havens" , never mentioned anything about your mob spawner requests in that particular post. But believe as you will.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    Xee likes this.
  8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Sounds like a new fundraising opportunity for the game. Sell adventure scenes and provide players with tools to customize them.

9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Or, follow up to Beaumaris, have a third type of town, so Town, PvP Town, and Adventure Town (possibly include PvP Adventure Towns too)

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

A Moon Tower idicator on the overland map should make for a good enough indicator whether or not a town may have monsters in it.
    ~TL~

11. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

With some kind of conversion process for an existing PoT. I have no issues with that scenario.

Anpu and Violet Ronso like this.
  12. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

We will be trying to classify towns via different metrics until the end of time unless we consolidate and describe towns in a way thats as simple as possible.

Novian NPC's must be utterly perplexed about 'PVP' and 'Adventure' descriptions on our towns... NPC/PoT/PRT... needlessly complicated IMO

Towns are towns! Awkward separation differences only serve to push people out of towns, disincentivize diverse communities and pushes visible development to scenes always somewhere away from where most people live.

As a long time resident of an NPC town with almost non existent 'story' components to justify very expensive lot raes and with the POT only era of development on top, as a result, people have simply moved out. We could really do with 'adventure' and PVP/PVE elements.

Lets make ALL towns amazing, diverse and rich with adventure and micro events! :)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    Xee, Violet Ronso and Time Lord like this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]

14. General

General Avatar

As well I'd like to see mining made possible in appropriate themed dungeon themes. We can do fishing in them, so why not mining? (Or is it possible already and I missed this only?)

15. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

{While mining you seem to have dislodged a boulder revealing a dark passage. Will you enter?}

Xee, Time Lord and Violet Ronso like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.