1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

NFT on virtual items in game?

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by ngavarta, Mar 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ngavarta

ngavarta Avatar

We can have NFT on all or partial items in-game, that'll be awesome.

2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

3. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

No.

4. DefectedZephyr

DefectedZephyr Avatar

Immortal City - Mistrendur, Arlia - Novia
    No.
    This would also remove it from the steam store
    "Steam banned the use of cryptocurrencies and NFTs on its platform. In new platform guidelines released on October 15, 2021, Steam stated that users could not publish "[a]pplications built on blockchain technology that issue or allow the exchange of cryptocurrencies or NFTS.""

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I have to ask: what would be the point? If it has anything to do with RMT then I absolutely vote no.

Cordelayne, FrostII and Anpu like this.
  6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I have seen this asked for a couple of times but its always just "can we have it" never any explanation as to why it is wanted or what the point of it would be / how it would enrich Sota, its communtiy, or even make the devs some extra money. If it isn't going to do any of those things, what is it actually going to do?

7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Amen, sister :)

Cordelayne likes this.
  8. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Chris said they have been looking into this kinda thing but so far concluded likley too difficult at this stage as the programming hasn't considered the option from initial design. Too much rewriting.

Entertaining the idea that its ever a possibility (and demonstrably beneficial to players and sensible and non game breaking:

• existing items would be very hard to deal with as the above rewriting issue... special deco item/special piece of land would be an idea as a test, wouldnt want anything that cant be transfered in game at least initially. Doing so would likely too much work even for optimists.
    • NFT's I believe should stay away from items affecting the character at all. But, that does leave a lot of other asset types to consider.
    • would game gold as a crypto ever work and be sensible? (will we cross the Rubicon? Will New Britannia ever have its own REAL tangible local currency?
    • would an existing or custom digital wallet need to be used?
      woops there goes an hour writing this o_O
    • Catnip accepting crypto should be the big question at the moment (for theirweb store products) and if things turn out sensible then who knows how far this rabbit hole goes...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    Cordelayne likes this.
  9. ngavarta

ngavarta Avatar

Well, thanks guys for genuinely replying, I'm not coming out with this suggestion doesn't due to anything "unholy" to the game, and thanks for the reminder of Steam restrictions, I don't know that.

I meant after I heard the concept of the metaverse and NFT, Ultima or SoTA is the first thing that came to my mind!
    The original initiative is simple, Ultima is the first massive MMO, and SoTA is its "sequel", and if anyone who rightfully claim part of the coming era of Metaverse implementation (including the monetary part of it), not matter as a player or as a game designer, should make the bold move until it's too late.

Also, it's added back to the strong ownership of the digital goods for players, and also the value of money (investment if you like). Not to mention those items (NFTs) can be carried out from the game into say ... the player's own VR home as a decoration (or even the whole house/ POT/ character of cause ... supplement the possibility your self).

And from my point of view, even later the company (Portalarium) decide to create a VR version of this game or not, I still can enjoy the creation of the game assets I owned basically and found a new experience in other VR applications (metaverse).

As another argument point, I heard someone claim that some digital goods are way too expensive (e.g. POT), if those things are potential investments or something which is signed under your name forever (just like how you own a house in real-world), I think that's definitely worth it isn't it?

Ideas are ideas alone, technical and licensing/ law issue asides. I mean I know the team had tried very hard NOT TO turn this game into some gold sink kinda online game (which will eventually spoil the game experience, e.g. Diablo III), but the way I picture it isn't that entirely evil right?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.