1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Ridable Boats...yes again

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Belladonna Rose, Oct 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Fishing locations provide diminishing returns over time. You need to move around for the best results. The boat allowed someone to automatically move and obtain the best fishing returns with zero effort.

Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  2. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Thank you for information, Sannio.
    Well, take the fish out of this location, please ;)

3. Toular

Toular Avatar

Maybe I'm missing something, but ... doesn't fishing require you to not move? So, if you're on a moving boat, from which location are you fishing?

So, in real life, there is actually a fishing "style" where you do this exact thing ... throw a hook in the water while on a moving boat. I believe it's called "trolling". And, yes I see the irony, Not that I'm trolling here.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Game Time = Measured Reward and Enviormental Role Play~

:eek: OMG Sannio, does this mean that we're never going to be able to exploit our bath tubs to take a bath?

OK, maybe the technolians are macroing their fishing which is an exploit I could see happening, but it is a boat we can/could ride which is a great thing to add to our RP enviorment within fishing. Maybe there are ways we can stop macro exploitation without killing any more gaming enviorment RP?

With each Technolian gaming app that comes availible able to "enhance" a SOTA player's game, "fully approved by our SOTA Programers", the more the word "exploit" get a bit more comical to hear within our "things we don't want people to do", at the expence of Enviormental Role Play.

Am I coming to New Britannia or am I coming to compete in a program called SOTA? :eek: There's a war between them! :confused:

There's only one way to farm animals here, and that's to find a place where killing them returns the highest reward, "and all those sota aproved apps will aide you in doing that".
    But actual agriculture of animals is a "no, no". One style of play is encouraged, while Enviormental Role Play is placed in the discouraged catagory.

There is one hell of allot of macro used in attacking while fighting monsters, all very much aproved of and supported by sota.

I want my enviorment interactive, with the tools which are common within those Enviormental Role Play activities.

If people are able to fish too fast, then slow the fishing function down until a proper "game time = measured reward" level is achieved, because that is how players are rewarded for playing our game, or that's how it should be.

If you have a Technolian macro problem, then find a way without sacrificing Enviormental Role Play enjoyment.

The Technolian's sota gaming screen looks more like a modern fighter pilots heads-up display and less like New Britannia. It's functional more for programing information in digits than it is the interactive function of a windmill, or a boat, or (fill in the blank).

I get it and I surrendered long ago to the rule of our Technolian Overlords, but I still have a voice and one of the things I can still use it for is to "Beg" for interactive functionality and life depiction for the enjoyment of Enviormental Role Play.

I accept that RP is a hostage, or ill regarded step child of our Technolian Overlords, but I will try and stop you from downing black Nike tennis shoes and catching the next Hale Bop.

Meanwhile, while fishing boats are considered an exploit here in sota, I assume due to Technolians macro addictions... I will see a local fisherman walking down my street fishing in the ditches while he wishes he had a boat he could use, because all we truly need is "ditches" to fish in right?

We should have never depicted boats if we're never to become able to use them.

"Game Time = Measured Reward and Enviormental Role Play Functionality",
    They're consepts well worth looking into :cool:~Time Lord~

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  5. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Perhaps that is a moot question but in a game with prosperity fishing rods that never break, lava fishing rods which can get "fish" from red hot lava, fishing in *dungeons* and not only olms but actual fish, magical statues that turn the water of a scene from fetid to salt to freshwater, magical fishing gear that enhances the chances - which all of them are completely unrealistic - why make it a problem to move in a boat because some wanted to fish [​IMG] from a boat that moves and is the only thing that actually exists in the real world?

If the moving while fishing avoids the intended penalty that increases while fishing from the same spot, wouldn´t it be possible to e.g.
    - require the passenger of a boat to sit and be unable to fish?
    - require the user of a rowboat to actually row to move and so either row and move OR fish?
    - apply the penalty of the same place for the whole boat ride as the fisher is standing in the same place *within the boat*
    - have sharks use pounce to attack fishers on a boat like lions attack an Avatar standing on a rock.

Immersion in the games world could mean something like this
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_Man_and_the_Sea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilar_(boat)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    Paladin Michael and Time Lord like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:thumbs up:

7. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Currently we can sit and fish. You can sit on the ground or in a chair. So that whole argument is moot. I really dont see how fishing from the boat was an exploit. If the boat gets too far away from the target it will stall out due to the range of the cast. But whatever. No sense beating a dead horse. Just was interested in why it was removed and of course....we cant have nice things due to some abusing them

8. chrisjwhite

chrisjwhite Avatar

Must have been people with a macro to cast a certain distance away. So set to cast right in front set macro to repeat and walk away while fishing all day.
    Maybe could give it horse rules, can't do anything while mounted except click a teleporter. Would be cool to be able to actually take a boat to the island on a POT instead of insta teleport.

9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

For me it's a good question of how a boat should be opperated, and sitting while inside the boat seems the reasonable way, while underway, yet similar to sitting on a horse, you can't sit on a horse while fishing.

I enjoy an ambient play which depicts the real life act of fishing. Yet if macro-fishing is a problem, then the use of any macro while hunting such as activating a set of attacks seems more of an exploit worthy of such measures.

Is there anyone getting rich off of fishing?
    The balance beam of concern seems tilted only one way, always :cool:~TL~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.