The usefulness of the skill "Taming".

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yumorist, Mar 3, 2022.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yumorist

Yumorist Avatar

In addition to increasing the chance of capturing a creature, the skill improved the parameters of the summoned pet. But the limit of 128 skill level did not allow further improvement of the pet's parameters. has this error been fixed?

2. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

Taming skill itself only gives you a higher chance of actually taming a creature. It is summoning skill that also increases pet stat because it allows you to summon the pet up to its maximum base 'level'. (even though other skills and gear can add to the overall pet level, I don't know - its not well described) Summoning skill currently gives no gains above 126.

FBohler and Anpu like this.
  3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Its actually surprising how many tamers I know who actually don't level -taming-. They leave that to the professionals (my tamer only uses Minervabrand™) - the taming (and subsequently, collar recovery) skills aren't necessary for actually playing with an animal companion.

I have a tamer alt, and you know we say, "Oh, I'm a tamer" but really, I'm a cat concierge, wearing clothes that it finds pleasing to the eye and touch that encourage it to perform better. Then there's feeding it, taking it on cool adventures, and making it wear little outfits that I keep in good repair, buffing it, and healing it when it gets itself into too much mischief. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with this, but I wouldn't be opposed to the actual taming skill doing more to the actual "using of pets" rather than its sole remit being the "acquisition of" pets. Because once you have every flavor of kitteh (ok, ok, fine, of all the other animals too), barring accidental death and dismemberment of said pets, you don't really need that skill for anything.

It doesn't have to be anything big - Sota is very much about small passive benefits. Its just a bit baffling sometimes when you see a character that can command the attention span of a fierce, garden-shed-sized tiger, but can't get a chicken to walk into a cage.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
    ConjurerDragon, Anpu and Minerva like this.
  4. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

I agree as you know. I have said from the start that it is like Blacksmithing and Sword welding. You do not HAVE to be a blacksmith or have blacksmith skills at all to use a sword. I have felt that that Summoning Skill should be the Base or Top skill and the Taming and linked skills like collar recovery beneath it. Most people are Pet users not Tamers and that is great for me! I love giving pets away and filling Novia with animals!!

Violet Ronso likes this.
  5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I think it would be cool if you got some sort of bonus when using a pet that you tamed yourself. Given how strong tamed pets are, that would have to be balanced against something else if it was significant, but it would make the taming skill more relevant.

Taming whistles themselves could also gain some sort of bonus at the time of taming that scales with taming skill. Then there wouldn't be as much of a ceiling on it's usefulness.

FBohler likes this.
  6. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

I would have loved it if taming skill could be used in place of summoning skill, or at least add a bonus to summoning skill. It was very frustrating to see my taming skill rise so quickly and not be able to use my tames, due to the summoning timer throttling the rate at which I could raise summoning skill.

Other ideas here would be welcome too!

FBohler and Minerva like this.
  7. Xithar

Xithar Avatar

That tamed (high tier) pets are so strong is what makes this difficult. Imho taming is already at least in the Top 5 of the best PVE skill trees in the game. So this would either make it even stronger, or people without that bonus would need to get nerfed. Since I said similar things already some times in global chat let's just say even hinting that any skill in taming tree might need a nerf creates so many comments of people often _very_ strictly against it that it might be a bad idea in a game with such a small community.
    Also, just from the perspective of a "I bought 95% of my pets" player: The tame skill itself is one of the skills which may get you a very nice income.. especially when you compare it to trade skills. Which leads to the other problem that many taming tamers see: The pet trading is a pretty much intact part of the SotA economy, so people get even more upset about anything which might hurt that market.
    Long story short it would have been a nice idea, but implementing it now would most likely add too much frustration.. either from the very large group of not taming tamers, or by the smaller but more influencial group of taming tamers - or by everyone else :(

Lazlo and FrostII like this.
  8. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I think that there are probably a lot of ways in which the player doing the taming could benefit more from it without it being a nerf to anyone. For example, if tamed pets had some sort of affinity value that gave them a minor bonus that scaled upward the longer that it was around without dying or being dismissed, the tamer and the non-tamer could still have the same ceiling, but the original tamer could start with a higher affinity value.

In any case, I don't think it's a big deal, but I also wouldn't worry much about upsetting anyone. People get upset about literally everything. I remember when players could make themselves completely impervious to all physical damage just by stacking up avoidance buffs, and people were mad when that was fixed. In the long run, making good decisions and a good game usually works out.

9. Virsago2099

Virsago2099 Avatar

I don't play a tamer, and I don't like using pets. So take my opinion with a grain of salt, but here it is anyway: It makes no sense to me that the taming skill has so little to do with using arguably the most useful PVE ability in the game. I often joke with friends that playing a tamer is a great way to get caught up on your Netflix viewing while playing the game. At this point, I think that ship has sailed and any attempt at a course correction will be met with a lot of resistance from the community. But I think it would be a really interesting idea if you could tie the Taming skill to the functions of using pets. Maybe make your ability to heal your pet, tied to the skill. Or perhaps make it so that you need a certain skill level in taming to resurrect pets of particular tiers in those events you send your friend into their untimely demise. Something along those lines could be interesting ways to make the skill more useful, without being an out and out nerf to players who currently prefer to buy their animal companions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.