1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Player Council

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Seggallion, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Seggallion

Seggallion Avatar

I would love to see SOTA implement a player council that can meet in game on a monthly/quarterly basis, to discuss items that the player community would like to see addressed. A representatives could travel to Central Brittany to a new council meeting hall. This is where only approved representatives can enter, discuss issues, hold votes, and give the devs some guidance about what is on the players' minds.

This doesn't have to be binding to the devs, but would work as a way for the devs to understand the gamers' issues. It would also be a great in-game event. All players can descend on the city to sell goods, voice their concerns in the public square, etc. Meanwhile, inside the council hall, representatives are proposing ideas to be voted on.

If we want to make it work within the world's framework, it could be a quarterly visit to the Oracle. The Oracle watches over the council meeting and speaks on behalf of the devs. It can be written as players bringing their issues before the Oracle. The Oracle can become the game's defacto God.

The first meeting would include only dev suggested items to vote on. The devs could take some ideas from the wishlist forum and ask the council to vote on them. Then, the council can request up to five items be added to the next quarterly meeting. The council would have to vote on each item to be added. If the item is voted in, then it will be taken up at the next monthly/quarterly meeting. Then the devs can add five items, which would make a total of 10 items on each agenda. It doesn't even have to be changes to the game. Some of the items could just subscriber or streamer perks, in-game giveaways, upcoming events or contests, etc.

Who would be representatives? Maybe invite the top 10-20 players as based on play time or adventure level. Be sure to get a wide-range of specs such as a Fire Mage, a Ranger, a Heavy Armor Water Mage, etc.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
    FBohler likes this.
  2. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

As a real-time parliament that would be determined to fail. The devs would not have 24/7 to have someone being permanently present ingame as an Avatar and the players would have problems discussing anything starting already with the problem of different timezones.

The EU is +7 hours ahead of NBT/Texas Time for example.

If one wants to bring something to the attention of the devs there are the bug, the feedback and the wishlist forum.

3. Seggallion

Seggallion Avatar

They meet once a month or once a quarter. Agenda is tightly controlled and defined. Forums aren't a great way to engage players and certainly doesn't create publicity. Eve has been using a players' council for years to much success.

SOTA is a sandbox. A sandbox allows you to do anything, but often times lacks the motivation to do anything. Players and devs have to create that structure in-game. What is the point in creating a sandbox if you choose to do everything on the forums? New Britannia needs to feel alive and you make it feel alive by giving it life. A player's council isn't just a fun way to interact with players and make them feel more involved in the game. It is a great way to use the game world to effectuate change. Create the systems and then use them to solve real world problems.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
    FBohler likes this.
  4. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

That's a neat idea for sure.
    The whole "use SotA instead of forums" idea is very nice tbh.
    There's a Discord channel where elected players share their vision with devs. Problem is: the representatives are elected by the devs.

It's like the king elects the prime minister who elects the parliment that elects the people. :rolleyes:

5. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

I'm going to point you to the Hospitaller thread...

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...tallers-players-helping-players.48819/page-14

Hospitallers (pronounced hos-pit-eller), used to meet weekly during early access and the community was encouraged to attend to gain insight into aspects of the game they were not familiar with or that may not have been operating as expected. Depending on availability the Community Manager at the time would attend, or otherwise review the meeting notes and ask questions on items that needed addressing.

Turk Key and Seggallion like this.
  6. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I think a category above hospitallers is required. One that could have stopped poor dev decisions.

We always needed to revisit how we considered elected representatives in game. Current in game royalty were distant at best.

Seggallion likes this.
  7. Seggallion

Seggallion Avatar

I am thinking of the same concept but geared more toward wish list items. I think the meetings could be done outside the presence of the devs, but it only works if the devs take it seriously. What is the point in the community meeting to go over the top five requests or suggestions they have for the devs, if the devs are just going to ignore it?

This isn't a means to air complaints, but a way for the player base to feel connected to the devs. I am not saying that the devs have to agree with the player council. There will be reasons why items can't be accomplished. But at least the players will feel like they have a connection to the game. I wonder how much community involvement would have negated previous issues.

FBohler likes this.
  8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Hmm. Perhaps the issue was that in-game 'royalty' never felt they were 'heard' any differently than standard account players? Its been the Hospitallers who have had the devs ear, as we see described here.

FBohler likes this.
  9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

"In game royalty". I am sure that those picked by whatever method would be excited. Those who are not picked, stiffed in some way? Do we need a dividing construct?

I feel the bug and feed back forums are well attended and gather plenty of Dev feed back. I am sure the Devs are doing the best they can to address both, to the best of their ability. The bug and feed back forums have been improved vastly since days past.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Judging from stream content, I can say at least one of the dev's trusted players has the ability of single handedly ask directly and privately for "combat balance for PvP" and it'll be taken very seriously.
    As an average player, I couldn't find out whether said balance was done or not, and even worse than that I couldn't find out any hint of which skills/stats/etc would be affected!
    One thing I know is pets got a relevant change recently as their DPS went down substantially. I'm not sure it was a balance pass or some kind of bug though, because I don't have access to the same, complete, info as other more important and trusted players do.

If we had a council democratically elected by the player base, this matter for example could have been more openly discussed with a greater sense of fairness. Even if said trusted player took dev's part and argued for their vision, it would have been possible to have a productive discussion.
    I know a handful of tamers that are a bit upset with their new status and I don't think they can do the same as the trusted player, i.e. directly and privately ask to rollback the change. If they resort to posting on the wishlist forums, even with fleshed out propositions and fairly balanced common ground type compromises, the regular player type is likely to be ignored.

Why do I say this? The first step to solve a problem is by acknowledging its existance.
    Otherwise you're commanding the problems to persist and grow.

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

All this talk about "being heard" could be replaced with "obey me".

So you don't think they listen anymore? I think they listen alot!!! Programing production has slowed to match gaming income, but programming sota isn't like ordering a cup of coffee or a happy meal. Whatever our programmers are inspired to do, that's what they should be doing. They do have a road map, a plan and plans within plans.

Where great player's feet are is where the leaders are, and it's always been this way.

I can count the number of current posts in our forums on a single hand, how would a "council" change that?

Everyone is heard here, but not every idea gains momentum.

~TL~

ConjurerDragon, Turk Key and Barugon like this.
  12. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

If you're not in the right "group of players" you won't get any feedback on your suggestions, no matter how well thought and relevant they are. It's not about obeying... it's about listening and communicating.

That's why I provided the example.

If devs took their 10 seconds to answer my suggestions with "cool idea but there are flaws and we don't have workforce to make it happen" or just "we have different plans for that feature" I would be fine with it.

If I were in that "trusted player think tank" (existance of which is hard evidence SotA players aren't created equal) I'm pretty sure I would get responses for my suggestions.

Like I said, the representatives of the people (average players) are elected by the gods (devs). So in Novia the voice of the people is barely heard.

And guess what? New players a few hours in are the peasantest of peasants, so they may have perceptions about the game that match more with those outside the think tank, because they don't have as deep and long lasting knowledge and connection to the game as the think tankers.

13. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Players can organize; as long as it does not impede upon the game or community experience of others. This includes guilds and other groups. Catnip Games/Shroud of the Avatar will not endorse a player council as an interface to lobby the Devs. We have a variety of official channels allowing all players to present ideas and feedback, including the Feedback and Wishlist forum sections as well as the Universal chat AskADev functionality in game. The input posted in these places offers the opportunity for all players to provide cordial input and discuss the ideas/issues. These posts are seen by the Dev Team and when possible/feasible are acted upon. Players have even been credited in the release notes when an idea was used from one of these avenues (a newer action on our part to be sure, but is now a standard).

As has been noted in other posts, I am "adjusting" the structure of the Wishlist section to better show ideas that have been implemented, considered or not. Everyone has a voice there, the team watches the threads and discusses them via internal chats well as meetings. In fact just after implementing the AskADev function in Universal Chat, it was proposed (a number of times) by players that these questions should be allowed to be "private" messages to the Dev team, however this is not the intent of any input avenue we have with the players. Even players who submit ideas to support are advised to post them in the correct location. The only time we will encourage a player to communicate directly with us in this regard is when there is a potential exploit that should not be posted on the forums.

The Hospitaller Title/flag was created at the start with the intent that the players could help each other, and the players then enhanced that with weekly meetings that the Community Manager would, if not possible to attend, review the meeting notes that often included ideas, high visibility bugs, and issues the players were seeing. This avenue, in addition to bringing focus to the Dev Team, welcomes all players equally to participate and have a voice. As a reminder, *anyone* can be a Hospitaller! The Hospitallers are not a guild, nor do they recruit for guilds. Hospitallers offer assistance to any player who has questions in the game, the forums, or in Discord. There is no organizational structure to the Hospitallers, apart from one player who is nominated to chair the meeting (at each meeting). The weekly meetings in the past were on Sundays at 11am, which anyone could attend. whether you were a Hospitaller, wanted to be one, had a question or idea, it was a safe space to share. The Hospitaller rules are governed by the TOS (I will make sure that the updated 2023 TOS includes the Hospitaller ruleset). The Devs have oversight, but the players drive the effort.

There is no player royalty role
    There is no trusted player role
    There is no player think tank with direct lines to the team

Ideas and Feedback should always be posted publicly, this encourages other players to respond and discuss the merits and drawbacks.

Most game communities do not enjoy the degree of interaction with the Dev Team that SotA players do. For instance, there have been more than 50 posts by Devs since Jan 2nd (Dev posts can be followed here) [NOTE: The number/listed posts here do not include posts by Devs using their player accounts]
    Most of our posts currently are addressing bugs and updates. Once the Wishlist forum section has been overhauled, and other changes that will be outlined in the 2023 Roadmap are in place, players will certainly see more communication from the Dev Team.

With all this said, Players are welcome to use the above methods of communicating ideas and feedback to the team. A player council as described in this thread is not something we would support.

Merrik, Anpu, Lord Andernut and 9 others like this.