The New Age of Gaming???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by that_shawn_guy, Apr 29, 2023.

1. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

I found some interesting point in the video. I do wonder how "alive" an MMO world could become if the NPCs had fewer canned responses.

Anpu and craftymethod like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

AI, like the Internet, is both great and terrible.

Anpu and that_shawn_guy like this.
  3. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

As long as NPC´s are not acting like PC´s and demanding their own time for themselves (e.g. a NPC schedule for everyone and everyone needs at least a few (ingame)hourse of sleep, a time to eat something and an hour of relaxing in a pub) then adding some speechpatterns or transplanted minds of Little Computer People won´t make the world feel more alive.

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  4. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Very interesting stuff,

It would be interesting for 'npc champions/companions' were running around places engaging mobs but would know their limits and back off. Then, any newbies who are around they could assist these npc's and it would effectivley account to companion gameplay where the player feels like they helped the npc champion, but actually the npc champoin helped the player. Maybe they have randomised names skills and backgrounds etc. hell, they could even have their own npc homes they go to etc.

Sure it would be nice if all towns were full to the brim with outlanders, but I think perhaps even in the most optimistic scenario, there's still going to be a high number of lots available around Novia, why not have a 100% population simulation?

That world of warcraft conversationalist must have a lot of prompt pre loading going on, I watched this the other day too:

(the text to voice packs they use sound a bit painful, PM for telling the time sounds way off)

turn subtitles on

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
    that_shawn_guy likes this.
  5. Radicus

Radicus Avatar

It'd be cool if they experimented using that with The Oracle.

Anpu, craftymethod and that_shawn_guy like this.