[SOTA-71396] Prosperity Molds or Stacking Molds

Discussion in 'Queued for Review/Processing' started by Galorn, May 7, 2023.

1. Galorn

Galorn Avatar

I was crafting ingots this morning, and I went through 6 ingot molds. I think if there were prosperity molds in the coto store that a lot of people would buy them. I know I would!

It is also a pain that if you buy a number of molds, they do not stack. They take up way too much bank or chest space. If you do not want to provide an indestructible mold, having them stack in inventory would be a welcome addition to crafting.

Thanks!

Janzik, Tahru, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  2. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

Yes, Please!

FrostII and Galorn like this.
  3. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I will assume people do understand that the molds are gold sinks?

5. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Keeping that in mind... perhaps offering greater durability sinks for more gold, or a recipe to "harden" molds that increases durability at the cost of an ingot (obsidian) and some coal?

Just a couple of ideas off the top of my head

Margaritte likes this.
  6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Stacking 100%

7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

we CANnot make them stack. the durability number is stored individually per item. a version with more durability or an indestructible one is possible, though the indestructible one would have economy consequences as that's currently a gold sink.

Margaritte and Anpu like this.
  8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

That partially makes sense. But the ones that are at 100% (or same %) could potentially be stacked.

9. Alley Oop

either an item is flagged to have individual data or it is not.

10. Galorn

Galorn Avatar

Would not it be better money to sell the molds for cotos like the prosperity tools than just have them be a gold sink? It seems like catnip would make more money from having them in the coto store.

11. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Molds are consumables and are intended to be a gold sink. Selling Prosperity Molds not only would be a one time purchase, and therefore would not bring in money long term, but also would eliminate the gold sink that would cause inflation. Gold sinks are designed into multiplayer games as part of the economy balance. without these sinks, player gold reserves would grow and inflation would ensue.

With that said, adding Prosperity molds to the store would not bring in significant money after everyone bought one, and the gold sink would have to be added to something else in the game to maintain the balance and draw the same amount of gold from the game world.

Since the gold sink must be maintained, there would be no benefit in changing the molds.

As @Alley Oop stated , Items that are flagged for unique data cannot stack. In this case durability or (the total number of uses per mold) is being tracked, so they cannot stack. Since the difference between an unused mold and a used mold is only a number stored against the individual asset, we cannot allow unused molds to stack.

Anpu and Adam Crow like this.
  12. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Please consider the idea about increasing the price and durability of the molds. It would not change the gold sink, but it would help the issue quite a bit.

If you had large molds that cost 10x as much and have 10x the durability it would be a great help when crafting large amounts of items. You could leave all the regular molds alone and all you would need to do is add large molds for the often made things in bulk, like ingots.

Galorn, Scanphor, Margaritte and 4 others like this.
  13. Galorn

Galorn Avatar

Considering that the molds only cost 50 gp, I would think the effect would be negligible on inflation. No one is getting wealthy off of a 50 gp item. Most people do not use 10 molds a day. That is the money you get from the Oracle every day. Since we have prosperity tools, would not the same inflation occur for not having to buy any of the other tools? I am trying to understand the thinking behind this, but it does not seem consistent to me.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    Margaritte likes this.
  14. Alley Oop

at first glance, i can't see a problem with that. will bring up for discussion.

15. Galorn

Galorn Avatar

The more I think about it, the inflation argument makes no sense at all. If you put more gold in the pockets of the users, it would stimulate the economy, and the big ingot users could sell ingots a little cheaper.

A lot of regular players are dirt poor from having to pay the daily taxes, and buy a lot less from vendors. The only way the kind of inflation that you are worried about would occur is if the devs injected a huge amount of gold into the game.

Margaritte likes this.
  16. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

They do... automatically, every day... when players go out and farm instances for materials and gold, and sell the junk they don't want or need to NPC vendors, who have bottomless pockets.

Margaritte likes this.
  17. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

I think that many years ago, the molds might have been effective as a gold sink, but maybe not so much now? I mean, I can't see the numbers, so I can't say for sure, but for the average player who smelts enough that the durability on molds is a pain point, killing one mob in the wild covers the cost of more than one mold. Either way, if prosperity molds are off the table, then I'm all for a higher durability version that costs MORE than the sum of molds that exist now. More gold sink, less hassle. Let us pay 10,000 gold and have one that keeps us from having to deal with a mold that lasts 100 uses and then becomes another piece of junk to deal with in bags and inventories.

Galorn and that_shawn_guy like this.
  18. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

Another vote for a 'large' or 'reinforced' ingot mold here. I don't think 10x is enough of a difference but 100x or even 1000x durability (at comparable cost) would be great. And yes make sure to keep the regular version around for new players and those that avoid crafting.

Margaritte and Galorn like this.
  19. Galorn

Galorn Avatar

I still don't think selling items to an NPC would greatly affect the economy. After an hour of adventuring, I might get 3k or 4k from a vendor. Plus people salvage a lot of that loot too, and it does not affect the gold in the game

20. Galorn

Galorn Avatar

Yep that sounds like a good workaround for people who smelt a lot of ingots

Margaritte likes this.