Missed opportunities

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adam Crow, May 27, 2023.

1. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

The treasure hunts and the pvp treasure hunts that were run by the game developers in the past were great. The game is missing a fun competitive activity... (that we already had, that worked perfectly well). The removal of those treasure hunts is a complete bummer and the fact the team hasn't implemented anything else in a similar fashion is very disheartening. That was a huge reason why i got excited to log into the game for quite a while and could easily be set up by player volunteers if needed. Those are the types of things you should be concentrating on since the development of the game has slowed down quite a bit lately. It's only my opinion, but you guys are missing out on keeping the players attention. @Ravalox I will do anything I can to help promote and get those activities back if possible. Please reconsider! The amount of time Winfield was working on that stuff was probably too much, but there are ways to set them up that wouldn't be too much work.

Please reconsider those contests or something similar!!!

Tirrag, Mafu, Sentinel2 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

When the monthly fishing was no longer ran by Catnip, people from the community still do this with the Monthly Release Fishing Contests.

The community could also as well organize Treasure Hunts in a similar fashion?

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  3. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

We are looking to do more Dev run events (which may contain a contest or two), this goes along the lines of the Egg Hunt, and other events like Lord British's and DarkStarr's birthdays, etc. Working towards some good events toward the end of the year for the 10th anniversary.

Recurring contests (as Anpu stated) have been put in the hands of the community. We offer support in the way of providing trophies... See this thread for more info: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-run-contest-dev-support.172269/#post-1345254

4. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

How could it be done? We don't have access to the data, to see what people are collecting from loot drops, like the devs do.

Anpu likes this.
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I would assume the same way the monthly fishing is currently run and where they get their listing? That part I don't know.

6. Ravalox

Trash to Treasure (Scavenging or Treasure Hunt) contests are usually done by asking players to mail the items to you, the date/time stamp in the email will show who got it to you first.

7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

The events where we were in the same scene trying to collect a specific loot drop is what I'm talking about. That isn't really possible to set up for a player. You are missing out on a big draw to get players wanting to log in. Just trying to help.

Last edited: May 29, 2023
  8. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

there is treasure maps system coming in the very very near future based on information and streams recently which I am pretty sure will peak all our curiosity. Well not dev run it will spark many new hunts and excitiement. As to run events I really think they need an ingame event calendar for both dev and player events. half the time I have no clue about any events going on until I see something in U chat, I dont visit the forums enough to check the events there and think many are the same who rely on in game postings. I still think that we need a better system for gm player events so that we can either seed loot for the events through the summoned mobs or something. I keep poking those words at the devs :) just like npc converstations we need ability to offer rewards as well through them.

Adam Crow and ConjurerDragon like this.
  9. Ravalox

There is an in game event calendar in the works (it's on the roadmap and set to be worked on starting our fourth quarter).

Visibility of GM Events should improve once we complete the tech required to allow Devs to lock scenes while the event prepwork is being done (We posted about this in the forums and spoke of it on Stream after the Egg Hunt Event). Currently if we go to prep a scene for an event, interested players come by to watch. In some if not most of our events, this prevents us from "hiding" things. A hunt isn't fun for all when a small segment tend to map out where things are ahead of time :p. This is why some of our events are not publicized ahead of time and are deemed "pop-up" events. Once the ability to lock scenes is in place, we will be able to give better advance warning.

Adam Crow, Anpu and Xee like this.
  10. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

awesome to hear, thats one thing we really need, with all the events that people put on one place to visually see in game would do a lot. would love to have a guild event calendar as well which would be just as important imo. not that discord doesnt work but having something people can check when they log in at a glance would help a lot for planning. even the pop up events (my style event haha) could be posted that day which would go a long way.

Adam Crow likes this.
  11. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

FrostII likes this.