Shroud Tarot Deck

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jakkal, Jun 4, 2023.

1. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Looking for ideas for cards in a Shroud related Tarot Deck.

For those that aren't familiar with Tarot Decks, a typical Tarot Deck includes Major and Minor cards, with Minors in 4 suits (Cups, Swords, Pentacles/Coins, and Wands)
    Minor Suit includes (Ace, 2 through 10, Page, Knight, Queen, King)
    Majors include the following cards |The Fool|The Magician|The High Priestess|The Emperor|The Hierophant|The Lovers|The Chariot|Strength|The Hermit|The Wheel of Fortune|Justice|The Hanged Man|Death|Temperance|The Devil|The Tower|The Star|The Moon|The Sun|Judgment|The World
    The Shroud Tarot Deck would follow this same structure but possibly with Minors in 3 suits (Truth, Love, Courage) containing (Ace, 2 through 10, Servant, Knight, Queen, King). Some ideas for Majors would include likely keeping |The Lovers|Justice|Death (The Ankh)|The Tower|The Sun|The High Priestess|The Emperor|, and possibly adding cards like |The Panopticon|The Beast|The Wishing Well|The World|The Shattered Moon|The Galleon|The Jester|The Isle of Storms|Lost Vale|The Epitaph|The Fortress|The Clockworks|The Eye of the Oracle|The Lunar Gate|The Lighthouse|Shardfall|

To remain true to the original Tarot Deck cards I don't think the cards should represent specific named individuals.

Let me know your ideas and thoughts on the examples listed above. My knowledge of Shroud Lore is limited.

Note: Please log onto the QA server and test the NPCs at Fishing Expedition. Really test them until they burn a hole in the dock!! This test will allow for longer conversations on conversationalists which includes things like Tarot Readings.

Ravalox, that_shawn_guy and Anpu like this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Some suggestions: approach the Tarot deck design from 4 Virtues (not the 3 Principles):
    • Justice: Green - Earth - Pentacles
    • Compassion: Yellow - Air - Swords
    • Honesty: Blue - Water - Cups
    • Valor: Red - Fire - Wands
    I also assume you will be following the Rider/Waite version/configuration of the tarot. The Thoth deck however I personally feel is the actual correct configuration of the Tarot.

I am *fairly* well versed now in the existing in game and dev provided lore of our current age. But I am in no way shape or form the leading expert on this. There are however quite a small group of us that also know the games lore fairly well. Some of us could possibly help you with that too.

Good luck with this. This is a very interesting and fascinating idea (at least it is for me). :D

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  3. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Thanks. Good ideas. Part of the 4 Virtues to 3 Principles was to reduce the deck size to fit in more Majors while staying within the file character limit but there may be other ways to do that. I'm not familiar with the Thoth deck but I'll look into it.

When I'm done the script and tested it I may share it so other players can add it to conversationalist Tarot readers. I'll possibly list the descriptions so players can have input on the card descriptions and readings as well.

How do you feel about the types of Tarot readings. I currently had ones set up for 3 types: Relationship, Future, and Prosperity. Eliminating 1 or 2 may be necessary to fit the file limit depending on the # of cards in the deck.

One thing of note. Due to the character limits it's hard to do long descriptions of cards or interactions of cards other than very basic stuff. So maybe that's a reason to use fewer types of readings. A lot will depend if the test of expanded conversationalist character limits works or not.

If inky had arrays it might be easier to do that type of stuff as a particular array value could be used in a calculation of sorts. Instead it'd have to set individual variables which eats into the character limit.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    Anpu likes this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Probably eliminate 2 and go forward with one: Future. Could possibly add the others at a later time.