Is agriculture back in the game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Time Lord, Aug 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Which is why we need Wodka ingame in addition to Beer, Ale and Whiskey. Or Schnaps - anything that is derived from potatoes and uses lots of potatoes in distillation.

Planters come in many sizes, from the planting pot for 1 plant to small to large.

2. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

i just wanted to post a clarification for folks that may get the impression that in order to profit selling crops to NPCs that cotton is the only option. while most crops are not profitable selling to an NPC, there are some other than cotton that you can still turn a great profit. cotton is the best yes, but you can also nearly double your investment from:

Garlic (24 hour) - 2nd best profit
    Mandrake (48 hour) - 3rd best profit
    Nightshade (48 hour) - 3rd best profit

so if you are all about profit, then cotton is the way to go... but if you are like me and find cotton frustrating to water in its later stages, then there are few other plants that also turn a good profit. as an added bonus, Garlic and Mandrake also sell pretty well to players.

Time Lord and Coswald_Dirthmire like this.
  3. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

I tried about a page and a half back. It seemingly falls on deaf ears.

Adam Crow and Scanphor like this.
  4. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

:D

5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

My imagination can't stretch far enough :(
    ~Time Lord~

6. Daxstalker

Daxstalker Avatar

I'm saying that the search for vendors throughout the city has CANCELED a beautiful part of the game (which of course those who don't play as a merchant even see but those who work as administrators of the game cannot fail to know)

7. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I guarantee that lack of a vendor search drove more players from the game than it ever drew in. As thematic as it was, hunting around a larger city for a half hour to find a vendor selling some random ingredient you needed for a recipe stops being fun real quick.

Scanphor, Barugon and Alley Oop like this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yup.

9. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

Rules of the internet include:
    • Cunningham's Law: The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it’s to post the wrong answer.
    • Poe's Law: Without a clear indication of the author's intent it is impossible to tell the difference between extremism and parody.
    • Shroudwin's Law: As a SotA discussion grows longer the probability of mentioning vendor search approaches 1

Adam Crow, Pifester and Vero like this.
  10. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Vendor search is really at the heart of the matter here, at least from how the designers envisioned the economy working. In the ideal world, Time Lord would be harvesting his crops and then going to a town to either sell his wares on a vendor, either his own, a guild's or a public one, or selling his wares to a vendor based on a buy order created by another player. Larger cities being what they are, Vendor search would be the only efficient way for TL to find the going rate or locate decent buy orders. Vendor search is why TL shouldn't be complaining about failing to turn a profit. Unfortunately, the prerequisite there is a robust economy, which sadly SotA lacks at the moment.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

We just don't have the player numbers, so we make due with what we have.

12. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Technically, I wouldn't say the player count is the issue, there are single player games with more robust economies than SotA, it's more that the economic system as designed requires more players to be robust.

In a way, that's not a bad position to be in. It means the issues can be fixed by either getting more players or adjusting the design. For example, you take those daily drop off crates, and crank the pattern to 11, that could kickstart a robust economy in a hurry, even with the existing player base.

Basically, there needs to be a sink for the billions of gold sitting on player vendors at the moment.

13. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I don't know. I couldn't sell crocodile heads in Grusk. Well, except for @Alley Oop . I'm not so sure those weren't pity buys.

In the meantime I farm potatoes and peppers on an industrial scale to make sandwiches for the XPs.

14. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i felt bad about taking them all and left some for others. otherwise, i WOULD have taken all of them, no pity!

i think people just didn't even think to check the public vendor there.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Why croc heads though?

16. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Storehouse daily there.

17. Galorn

Galorn Avatar

I agree with Time Lord on this. I think it is really dumb that you can buy seeds, grow crops that players will not buy, and then sell to the NPC and lose money on the deal. I hate growing cotton because the third water is such a pain.
    I personally lost over a million gold when they did this changeover. I got stuck with 600k in tea leaves when they made this change. There was no warning. It put me off of farming. I have 12 dungeon farms and 8k outside planting beds in my town. I use to grow a lot, and now I just mine because it is much less of a hassle.
    The fact that you can grow some crops, and have no way to get your money back out of that crop because the NPC only pays one gp is just ludicrous.

18. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I'll ask you the same question that TL left unanswered "Why should farmers be entitled to make a profit without dealing with other players while blacksmiths, bakers and tanners are not?"

ConjurerDragon likes this.
  19. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

If it would be a relief to your frustation you could just hand over those farms to me so that you don´t have to see them reminding you of your lost dreams...

Galorn likes this.
  20. Galorn

Galorn Avatar

Time lord answered this.... because it is incredibly expensive to farm. I have 40 placed deeds and houses in the game. You need to buy all of the planting beds, you need to spend tens of millions expanding your dungeons, you need to keep track of everything and get up in the middle of the night to water. It is a huge pain to run a big farm, and you get no exp for all of the watering, only for planting and harvesting. Not to mention the millions of gold to buy all of the seed. If I planted all of my beds, we are talking about close to 100,000 seeds.

Pifester, Tirrag and CICI like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.