Not new, but feel like it

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Muggsy, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Muggsy

Muggsy Avatar

Hello All,

I casually started playing SOA in July 2022 as work and family life take/took priority. I started playing again after a 4-month hiatus. Yellow mobs are difficult and I do absolutely no damage to orange or red when I'm in the side encounters that you run into randomly on the main map. I pretty much try to stay in Tier 3 and the main mobs are easy, but the mobs that pop up after clearing the map are almost always impossible to kill unless they are human.

I'm running bow and leather armor. It's frustrating that I can't kill an orange with kiting due to not being able to damage it.

Am I the only one that deals with this stuff?

-Muggsy

Avatars Radio and Segalleon2 like this.
  2. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

If those orange mobs are skeletons, you'll definitely need a different approach, arrows do reduced damage to skellies.

Muggsy likes this.
  3. Segalleon2

Segalleon2 Avatar

Which skills are you leveling up and what level are they?

4. Muggsy

Muggsy Avatar

Not a skeleton this time, but some kind of undead caster. I also have issues with the boars, unicorns, and other random mobs that spawn at map completion.

5. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

equipment, buffs, foods, potions, decks all have a major say in addition to skill levels. can you give us a little detail about your char and what you are running? are you ranged spec? what is your other spec? would you consider your gear entry, mid, or high tier? what levels are your major skills at?

Muggsy likes this.
  6. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I believe that caster counts as skeleton for damage resistance, if not someone will be by shortly to correct me. Also, those spawns at the end of the map are designed for much higher tiers.

Muggsy likes this.
  7. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Unicorns are misleadlingly tough! I'm AL 109 and even though the adult unicorns are yellow for me, they always wipe the floor with my avatar.

Muggsy likes this.
  8. Muggsy

Muggsy Avatar

I wish there was an easy way to export my build. lol

Fully buffed Stats
    Health: 600
    Focus: 585
    Str: 64
    Dex: 93
    Int: 48
    Resist: 19.5
    Avoid: 2

Adventurer Level: 86
    Producer Level: 86

Gear
    Elven Elite Archer Hood +2
    Elven Elite Archer Tunic +3
    Elven Elite Archer Leggins +2
    Elven Elite Archer Bracers +3
    Elven Elite Archer Boots +2
    Hard Maple Elven Woodwind Longbow +9
    Leather Quiver +1
    Necklace of Civility, Common
    Leather Belt +2
    Iron Ring +1
    Ring of Life, Common

Ranged
    Ranged Combat: 115

Deck
    Aimed Shot (81)
    Disabling Shot (80)
    Piercing Shot (79)
    Blinding Shot (79)
    Rapid Fire (86)
    Gust (96)
    Multiple Shot (72)
    Dodge (77)
    Healing Ray (90)
    Healing Touch (90)

vulcanjedi, By Tor and Tirrag like this.
  9. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

While SotA might look like an action RPG, it isn't really one and while you can (and probably should) play it like one at higher levels, trying to at lower levels is a recipe for frustration as you'll quickly find monster after monster specifically designed to make action RPGy characters like yours miserable.

Muggsy likes this.
  10. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

You wear a Ring of Life (Common) - 4 of those can be combined to get a Ring of Life (Uncommon) with better stats.
    Get some of the skills that form a combo with the ranged attacks.

Muggsy likes this.
  11. Muggsy

Muggsy Avatar

I know this is probably a basic question, but how do I combine rings once I find the other 3? Is this a blacksmithing skill?

12. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

It should be - but it´s a smelting recipe.
    You need to put 4X Ring of Life (Common), 100 chunks of coal, 1 Ancient Essence and 1 Stone Chisel on the Smelting station to craft it.
    https://sotawiki.net/sota/Ring_of_Life,_Common
    If you have no intention of smelting or gathering smelting recipes I can do that for you, if you provide the material. My blacksmithing and smelting avatar is "Michael Romes".

The easiest way to gain Rings of Life is the daily elven herbal tea quest in Highvale Outskirts.

Muggsy likes this.
  13. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

There are a ton of things you can add to your setup that will greatly increase your offensive and defensive power. The mobs that spawn at the end of those random encounters are actually quite difficult though, you will probably need to level up a bit before you're able to handle them.

In the meantime, I would suggest switching to crafted armor. I can provide you with some if you're interested. I have some older pieces I'm no longer using that you are more than welcome to borrow or purchase. You can add an incredible amount of dexterity, and bonuses to some important skills. You'll want to raise your dexterity up to increase your critical hit rate, which will improve your dps big time.

Make sure to train the armor weak points skill in the subterfuge tree for more critical hit bonus.

Another way to increase your dps is by training specialization skills in 2 adventure trees. For archery, Tactics Specialization can be very useful. You can run Berserker Stance which gives you a large bonus to critical hit damage. Air spec also works great with archery. It adds a critical hit bonus to Air's Embrace. Light spec is great for archery too. It greatly increases your defensive capabilities in addition to adding a draw speed buff to Flurry. And of course Range specialization would help too, but I personally like the other choices better for archery builds.

Fireflies is a great skill to cast on your target at the beginning of a fight. It amplifies critical hit damage.

Make sure you are charging any buffs you are using that last a substantial amount of time. It makes them much more powerful. At level 80 you can charge or stack a skill 5 times. And if you have a tree's specialization skill at 80 it allows you to charge or stack anything in that tree a 6th time.

If you have episode 2 access, there are 2 buffs that last for 3 days in Lamechs Bazaar that will give a large bonus to dexterity. ( +70 dex - +80 dex depending on which ones you get. )

And most importantly of all, is probably your deck setup. There are endless options in how you set up glyphs, charging, stacking, combos etc. If you want to add me in game (Adam Crow) I love to chat about the game and answer questions.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
  14. Powersurge

Powersurge Avatar

All good points...as an archer...u MOSTLY want your auto attack OFF...you will want to use "free attack" and CHARGE your bow 8X. I played the game 2 years before someone finally told me to use free attack and it changed my life as an archer. If you dont know what free attack is...type "T" to disable auto attack and target a mob and HOLD YOUR LEFT MOUSE BUTTON and watch it go through 8 clicks and at the end once charged let go...and watch your damage and crit damage go WAY UP!

Muggsy likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If you use an unlocked deck then free-attack might be better. If you use a locked deck then free-attack will result in much lower DPS.

Muggsy likes this.
  16. Powersurge

Powersurge Avatar

That is for the most part true..but i rarely use any archery glyphs when I'm going archer..but i'm not a full time archer...i'm swords first...which is probably why i just use free attack when im doing the bow thing and rely on my passives for damage and not the utility/power of the archery tree glyphs. Also...after looking at your gear, that appears to be new player gear...you want to upgrade to crafted gear...you will see a massive jump in damage and survivability...crafted armor is cheap these days..just save up 8 to 10k gold and buy a piece at a time...start with 2 or 3 of those bows and work your way into armor...work Jewelry last as it is the least effective for the cost.

Muggsy likes this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I have decent gear, I just also have a fetish for the crap gear. [​IMG]

Also, my jewelry provides +45% Rapid Fire damage, which is pretty huge. Rapid Fire is by far the most damage dealing skill in ranged.

Muggsy likes this.