Sneak Scene - Feedback & Possible Bugs

Discussion in 'Player Test Environment (QA Server) Feedback' started by Rinaldi, Jan 19, 2024.

1. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

I have only had time to do few attempts to do this scene, so I have not thoroughly tested the area.
    But based on what i experience so far...he are some comments:
    1. Not sure if this is intended: the sentry caught me in the first warehouse. So, i went back to the overseer, and I got the message "the overseer noticed you left early" (this only happened 1 out of 4 times, so I am not sure if this will be reproducible). Anyhow, I would expected something more like this: If i was not caught by the Sentry and left the area too early, then i would get the message "the overseer noticed that you left early", thus suggesting I was "afraid" and would take a negative virtue hit. If I was caught by the Sentry and then exited the area, then I would expect to see a message like "A sentry caught you. Next time try to be more sneaky!" (I know the Sentry does say something like this, it may be more consistent to have the message as a banner across the screen, like the "left early" message).
    2. Hiding behind the crates/shelves does not prevent the Sentry from catching you. Although I was "out of the line of sight" and "hidden" behind the junk, the Sentry on the other side of the junk caught me. Is this intended? It seems that I should be able to hide behind the junk (or perhaps be less likely to be caught while hiding behind the junk).
    3. It seems like stealth skill is not effective in this zone. If i had to guess, it seems like the Sentry catches me when he gets within a certain distance from me (irrespective of my stealth status or whether I was hidden behind cover).
    4. The distract skill seems to do nothing. Incorporating Distract (which is otherwise a relatively useless skill) would be a good way add more to the strategy of this zone.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
    FrostII and Gwendolyn Obscuro like this.
  2. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

I think this may be a bug:
    In Kingsport, I was able to get more than one key per hour...in fact, as soon as I got caught in the sneak zone, I exited to Kingsport, immediately got another key, went back into sneak zone and started the "quest" again. The 1st and second time i went into the sneak zone, i needed the key to open the gate. The 3rd and fourth time, the gate was open and the chests had reset...so i looted the chests and got caught again.
    Note: I re-logged between 1st and 2nd entry into sneak zone, but not thereafter.

FrostII likes this.
  3. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Had the same thing happen to me. My understanding is you have to stay out of their 'light' to not be seen. I went in using stealth and was immediately caught even though i skirted around the two Sentries. When i got kicked out i was told to come back in an hour. Could not get another key from the Innkeeper either. So not sure how that is working. The two timers are a bit weird.

FrostII likes this.
  4. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Here's some info for you!
    The "the overseer noticed you left early" event can't happen more than once a day. The event includes the message you saw and a super-trivial Virtue counter change.

SotA doesn't have elaborate hiding or line-of-sight mechanics, and those mechanics we do have rely on the characters being in combat. Sneak Scene instead relies on a conversation mechanic, which draws you into a conversation if you get too close. Fictionally, this means the sentries have the ability to know if you get too close to them regardless if they can see you. If you look at the ground of a sentry, you'll see a bright circle of light on the floor. Stay out of that circle to avoid being caught. Is it weird that I use a conversation mechanic instead of a combat mechanic? Probably, but this was the only way for me to get a version of Sneak Scene working, so this is an "it is what it is" situation, I suppose.

Correct, Stealth skill doesn't factor into Sneak Scene, for reasons related to the "drawn into conversation when too close" mechanic I mention above.

Correct, Distract skill doesn't factor into Sneak Scene, for the same reasons as Stealth skill and that "drawn into conversation when too close" mechanic I mention above.

Rinaldi and ConjurerDragon like this.
  5. Sannio

When you get that first key (for free), you get an "hourly" flag.

When you come back for a second key, it checks to see if you (1) already have a key and (2) if the "hourly" flag is still active. If you have a key or that "hourly" flag, you can't get another yet. If you don't have a key and the "hourly" flag has run out, you're able to buy a new key for 1 nightshade.

Something else to keep in mind is that all "hourly" flags reset at the top of the hour, not one hour after you got the last key. This can mean you get and use a key at 3:59pm, participate in Sneak Scene, and return to the keygiver at 4:01pm where you can buy a new key for 1 nightshade. You won't be able to buy another key until after 5:00pm.

Rinaldi likes this.
  6. Sannio

This is correct: stay out of the light.

In fact, the Overseer repeats the things you need to keep in mind in their conversation response and ambient comments.
    • Responses
      • sentry: "Each Sneak Scene warehouse has one or more sentries patrolling the area. If a sentry sees you, then you fail your training session. Here's a tip: A sentry will absolutely see you if you step into their light, so the best thing to do is skulk around in the darkness."
    • Barks
      • "Stay out of the sentry lights."
      • "Keep an eye on the timers."
      • "Come to me when you have enough coins."

Rinaldi likes this.
  7. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

Well I have tried this zone several times and my primary takeaway is that I am really bad at sneaking. :)

I also found the 'you left early' message odd when I got caught in the first room. Maybe a 'well you aren't very good at that are you' message would be more appropriate :)

I was also able to use Rinaldi's leave the zone them come back method of getting multiple keys in an hour. Which helps with testing since it took several tries to get to even the second room!

Once I did get to the second room the door opened after just one chest was looted. I will go back later and see if this repeats but I was able to move on and amazingly got past the next several rooms before being caught and all of those rooms worked as expected. After I caught and made my way back to the entrance I confirmed there were to chests in that second room I had not opened.

I like the reward for finishing the first few room and gathered enough wooden coins to turn in that quest. Still need a few more copper ones for that turn in and the chances of me getting to the end rooms are slim :)

FrostII and Rinaldi like this.
  8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i'm not good at sneaking either. those sentries can see gm ghosts!

vulcanjedi and FrostII like this.
  9. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

Interesting concept. Tried it on main even had my pet out. Got a few minutes in before getting caught. Will have to try it on an alt with higher sneaky skills.
    I am not much into any stealth mechanics but this seems to be a nice addition.
    vj

10. Gwendolyn Obscuro

I just tried sneak scene three more time since the day switched over and none of them worked as expected, I think some flags got confused somehow.

First time there was a message about me being caught when I first entered the scene, I thought that didn't matter since the key worked in the door but the chests didn't open:

[1/19/2024 7:03:35 PM] Entering Sneak Scene from Kingsport
    [1/19/2024 7:03:50 PM] The sentries signal the overseer that they saw you.
    [1/19/2024 7:04:01 PM] You used a key (Sneak Scene Key).
    [1/19/2024 7:04:01 PM] Your key (Sneak Scene Key) broke during use.
    [1/19/2024 7:04:07 PM] The overseer begins taking notes of your progress.
    [1/19/2024 7:04:21 PM] You cannot access this chest
    [1/19/2024 7:04:23 PM] You cannot access this chest
    [1/19/2024 7:04:26 PM] You cannot access this chest
    [1/19/2024 7:04:32 PM] You cannot access this chest
    [1/19/2024 7:04:55 PM] You cannot access this chest
    [1/19/2024 7:05:04 PM] Sentry Pink: Did I just hear something?
    [1/19/2024 7:05:05 PM] Sentry Blue: Did I just hear something?
    [1/19/2024 7:05:16 PM] The overseer notes you left early.
    [1/19/2024 7:05:34 PM] Entering Kingsport from Sneak Scene

The second attempt I thought nothing had reset since the door was still open, but when I walked in I was caught by the sentry.

[1/19/2024 7:08:34 PM] Entering Sneak Scene from Kingsport
    [1/19/2024 7:08:53 PM] Sneak Scene Overseer: Congratulations, you found your way back into the Sneak Scene.
    [1/19/2024 7:08:57 PM] Sneak Scene Overseer: Watch your back, friend.
    [1/19/2024 7:09:29 PM] Sentry Pink: Aha! I caught you!

And the third time again I used the key to open the door, I oddly got a message that the door was locked right after I opened it and again the chests were not accessible.

[1/19/2024 7:16:30 PM] Entering Sneak Scene from Kingsport
    [1/19/2024 7:16:51 PM] You used a key (Sneak Scene Key).
    [1/19/2024 7:16:51 PM] Your key (Sneak Scene Key) broke during use.
    [1/19/2024 7:16:54 PM] This door is locked! You will need to find a key to open it. Use the key on the nearby lock to unlock this door.
    [1/19/2024 7:17:21 PM] You cannot access this chest
    [1/19/2024 7:17:22 PM] You cannot access this chest
    [1/19/2024 7:18:39 PM] Sentry Pink: I'm in the mood for a fight.
    [1/19/2024 7:18:55 PM] Entering Kingsport from Sneak Scene

I will try a few more times tomorrow. I still haven't made it back to the second room to see if the door opens early again.

Rinaldi likes this.
  11. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

Grammatical error in Overseer quest dialog
    Kingsport Sneak Scene Overseer
    Say Key and he says "if you don't have an a Sneak Scene key

Rinaldi likes this.
  12. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Well i got another key in Kingsport. Went to another location and went down into the area. The door was already open although the keyhole was glowing. I went in. Made it through 3 warehouses and almost a fourth before i got caught. I had no clue where the clocks were in the warehouses as i was too busy avoiding the guards. LOL. I was still using the stealth skill just in case. I just wish we could jump over obstacles. LOL. I was one box to the end of round 4 when i got caught. The guard was nice. Even said i Did Good then immediately slapped his leg and started laughing at me. Only issue is walking all the way back. But i got 10 wooden tokens and 5 copper. So i am assuming i did good. The Tattered Courage Banner is a nice touch.

Sannio and Rinaldi like this.
  13. Gwendolyn Obscuro

I finally got my first iron coins! But once again the second room I only had to open one chest, the one to the left from the entrance. Anyone else have that happen?

I always mean to try to tell if the clocks are working correctly in the rooms but I'm too busy looking at lights. And the clocks are stopped when I am on my way back to the entrance.

Belladonna Rose likes this.
  14. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

More info:
    In Kingsport, I was able to get more than 3 keys in a span of about 15 minutes (with the real time clock not passing the x:00 mark) - and I was able to reproduce this issue.
    [Steps to reproduce: talk to bartender in kingsport, type in "key", trade 1 moonshade for key, go into sneak scene, open gate, run in and get caught by sentry, exit to kingsport, and do it all again. If you can get back into the sneak scene very quickly, the gate will still be open, and sometimes the "sneak" mechanic & chests have reset (as noted by Gwendolyn above): I can run inside the warehouse, open a chest and get caught by the sentries again. If I wait a few minutes before i go back into the sneak scene, the gate will be closed. I open the gate and sometimes the "sneak" mechanic & chests have reset. I can do all this multiple times within an hour and without the time passing X:00].

You can also reproduce the "buy more than one key in an hour" issue by purchasing a key, then deleting the key from your inventory, and then buying another key immediately thereafter.
    If you already have a key, the bartender won't sell you another key (which seems to be working as intended).

All of the above findings also apply to blood bay sneak area.

So, it seems there may be a problem with the hourly flag for the key purchase.
    Also, perhaps there is an issue with the timing of the sentry and chest reset not being in sync with the gate reset? However, I am not sure if this is a side effect on being able to get keys more often than intended.

Yep,I had this too. It definitely happened in the 1st and 2nd room, and I think it also happened in the 3rd room.
    Sannio, is it intended that sometimes we don't have to open all the chests in a room to open the gate to the next room?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  15. Sannio

You're not supposed to be able to advance from one room to another unless you loot all the chests in the preceding room. I'll have to take a look into that. Issue #71866

16. Sannio

All of this is great feedback. Thanks! Added to Issue #71866

17. Sannio

Thanks for all these details. I'm sure they will be very helpful! Added to issue #71866

As I mentioned in a different response, you're not supposed to be able to advance from one room to another without first looting all the chests in the preceding room.

18. Gwendolyn Obscuro

The time running out doesn't give any indication things are done. I went in the first room and opened the first chest but then stood there watching the clock tick down. The blue light went out when the time was up but then when I opened the second chest the door unlocked to the second room. I waited for that rooms timer to run out then opened the single chest to the left and again the door to the third room opened. In the third room I opened one chest and then waited for both the single room and the main timers to run out. The lights went out on the clocks but nothing else happened. I opened the remaining chests and the door opened. In the next room I went up to a guard but they acted like I wasn't there so they must have been affected by at least one off the clocks running out. I was able to loot all the coins in that room just walking in the open. But when I went to the next room the guard caught me- so maybe they were reactivated by the previous room's timer not running out?

Is there supposed to be an indication that the game is done once the timer is up (other than the lights on the clock going out?)

Rinaldi likes this.
  19. Sannio

I think what happened was you failed that sneak session when the first timer ran out, which also put a "timer failed" flag on you. As soon as you got that "timer failed" flag, you shouldn't have been able to open any more chests anywhere in the scene. When all the chests in a room are looted, the next door opens, which is correct behavior aside from the fact that you shouldn't have been able to loot the chests. It feels like the guard didn't care because they knew you had the "timer failed" flag, but then you went up to the other guard and got caught, so I don't know what's going on. It feels like you weren't being given the proper fail flag in any of the rooms. Anyway, added to issue #71870

You should get a message in the middle of your UI and in chat that the overseer notes time ran out.

20. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Ok well I definitely didn't see that.

I did one run through on live and the second room door still opened after looting a single chest so I don't think that patch made it in. I made it all the way to the final room before getting caught- as far as I know legitimately but wasn't watching to see if any clocks ran out, I wouldn't be surprised if one did cause I'm kinda slow.