East March, Baron´s Keep

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ConjurerDragon, May 6, 2023.

1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

On the battlement of the Baron´s Keep:
    It´s o.k. that the improvised wooden palisade/battlement does not fit to the height of the older stonebuilt westgate.
    However even the remaining stonewall at the side of the gate allows no access to the area on top of the gate (similar problem to the one in South Boundless Forest Barbarian-run gate with the hot oil).

Either there should be a remaining or crumbling stone stairs to get from the battlement on top of the gate, or some wooden ladder allowing access from either side of the gate to the battlements as it was mentioned that the people of Eastmarch are renovating the Keep again as a fallback point in case of undead attacks. And what crucial point in defence would need to be made ready earlier than the gates?

At this point:
    05/06/2023 11:20
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker? no
    Details: The rubble that remains from the old wall that fills the room between wooden palisade and remaining stonewall, does not actually fill it but is a thin layer placed on top of it that is visible from the side
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics (12) System RAM: 15742
    GPU: AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics GPU RAM: 4430
    SotA.Win.64.1655.Date.05.05.23
    Area: Novia_R5_City_Eastmarch
    Area Display Name: Eastmarch
    Loc: (-142.5, 56.7, 41.3)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjVfQ2l0eV9FYXN0bWFyY2h8fCgtMTQyLjQ2OCwgNTYuNzMzLCA0MS4zMDEpfCgwLCAtMC43MywgMCwgLTAuNjg0KXwtMzcwOC4zN3wyOC41MzE0NHwxLjI1

The tower in the corner of the wall is awkward:
    05/06/2023 11:27
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker? no
    Details:When in the Keep and looking at the towers basement (best seen when being small, e.g. Leather Bandits Helm, Creepy Dolly or simply sitting down facing the tower) one can see that the tower and the wooden stairs in it´s front are not connected with the ground but the whole tower rests on the first layer of stones of the neighbouring wall. That allows one to look under the tower to the other side...

The wooden stairs that go nowhere - the tower is the usual watchtower used several times in this zone. Normally the door into the tower is set at the side of the tower where the stairs are leading up to the door. Here that is not possible as the keeps wall covers the door, making the small flight of wooden stairs useless and barring all entrance into the tower.

Could two holes be punched in two sides of the tower so that one can enter the inside from the battlements to pass through the tower and at the same time access the floors and stairs inside the tower?

Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics (12) System RAM: 15742
    GPU: AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics GPU RAM: 4430
    SotA.Win.64.1655.Date.05.05.23
    Area: Novia_R5_City_Eastmarch
    Area Display Name: Eastmarch
    Loc: (-127.6, 55.2, 46.6)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjVfQ2l0eV9FYXN0bWFyY2h8fCgtMTI3LjU1OCwgNTUuMTg3LCA0Ni41NTUpfCgwLCAtMC45ODgsIDAsIC0wLjE1NSl8LTQ1MTIuNjE5fC0xNi4wMTA4MnwxLjI1

Currently there is noone stationed in the Baron´s Keep. Without anyone around it´s strange that the West Gate immediately closes when I open it with the levellever and walk inside. Could the "closing mechanism" either be slowed down or shut off, so that the gate would only be closed again when I leave the scene, assuming that once in a while some guard from the city comes over and closes the gates again?

With the news that the people of Eastmarch are renovating the Keep as a fallback in case of an undead attack, could one of the guards (Eastmarch has 4) extend it´s patrol to the Baron´s Keeps Eastgate (the one with the drawbridge? would be of little use to leave the Keep entirely unobserved when in case of need one goes there and finds it already occupied by the enemy...

The fountains in the courtyard are no longer filled with water and there is as far as I saw, no other well or water source in the Keep.
    Fountains need some underground water access to a higher source of water, yet in the entire Baron´s Keep there is no indication that there ever was a stair down to a storage room or cellar or water canalisation (that could double as an emergency exit in case of danger).

Last edited: May 8, 2023
    Cordelayne and Tahru like this.
  2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Thanks for the report! Issue #71390

3. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

The work looks great. Now the defenders can go from the battlements into and through the towers. The makeshift looking wooden boards to cover holes in the battlement are a nice touch that the work is still far from finished

Edit: The Miners lamp on the floor at

Area: Eastmarch (Novia_R5_City_Eastmarch) Loc: (-149.449, 57.495, 73.582) DBG: Tm92aWFfUjVfQ2l0eV9FYXN0bWFyY2h8fCgtMTQ5LjQ0OSwgNTcuNDk1LCA3My41ODIpfCgwLCAtMC4wNTYsIDAsIDAuOTk4KXw2MzcuMDk5M3wxOS4yOTk5M3wyLjQ5OTI5NA==

When used it lights up and makes a sound - I would say it sounds as if a lever would be moved and not like a match lights up the lamp.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
  4. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Looking at the lantern, I think it's like the kerosene lamp my family had when I was growing up, and the squeaky metal noise is supposed to be rotating a "dial" (which you can see on the side of the lamp) to extend the wick inside. Maybe there's too much of a click if it's trying to be like my family lamp, but I'm not against it in it's current form. I think I'll leave it as-is for now.