Bard and PvP: A discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by that_shawn_guy, Apr 4, 2024.

1. maldoke

maldoke Avatar

Honestly, the Bard's skills couldn't even be PvP, since it's a Premium class, and the only premiums in the game are players who have been playing SotA for years.

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

The answer is (after reading every thread in this posting). Remove PvP. We don’t need it. :D

Micmatty and that_shawn_guy like this.
  3. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

I'm not sure what you mean by this..... Someone can buy the expansion and use bard skills literally day 1 of playing the game..... nothing premium about it unless you call spending a one time 19$ premium.

Maybe you don't but many of us enjoy it and are willing to look for ways to improve / balance it. Besides you can opt in and out of it so why remove it if its already in the game and you're not forced to use it.

4. maldoke

maldoke Avatar

Why would anyone buy expansion 2 at the beginning of the game? just to play bard?

5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Yes, and a lot of popular scenes are located in Mistrendur. A player that wants to level up faster will be tempted to purchase it. It contains some of the better spots for gaining xp and producer xp.

Scanphor likes this.
  6. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

I actually help out new players a lot on my stream and MANY of them get the expansion in the first week to get bard skills and go to the new zones, so its actually more common then not. I don't tell them to get it, they just watch me play and ask about skills and zones. Myself or chat will tell them how and they get it and ask me questions a few days later about it. So yeah very common actually.

7. Duke Gréagóir

I have pvped before. Attended a fishing event on a pvp area. Got a trophy for it.

when the devs balance PvP, PVE gets hurt. Has been that way since the beginning. Pve always gets nerfed when balancing PvP.

Micmatty likes this.
  8. maldoke

maldoke Avatar

So okay, if you think that a class that is only caught paying for expansion 2, and is OP in PvP, especially in the hands of players who have 4+ years of SotA, that's fine with me...

I just think that if there is a class in the game that participates in PvP and is OP, it should be accessible to everyone, even if it is through quests.

From what you said, it's practically a p2w game because of Bard who is good in pve and is op in pvp.

Now a question... wouldn't it be easier to add a battle/frag system? where would skill statuses be nerfed when broken by another player, or when in pvp? Many games are like this, so as not to nerf PvE, only when fighting against other players are their stats nerfed?

Sorry for my English, I'm using Google Translate

9. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

It's great in theory in pvp... in reality nobody uses it because most of the pvp here is quick and 1 on 1. But if pvp ever was popular I see big problems, that's what I was referring to.

As for pve... yeah it's very powerful and almost necessary once you try it or see it. But you shouldn't expect the best of the best in any free to play game. And what you get for free in this game is a lot. What you get with episode 2 is nice and I have no problem with the way it's set up. I want to keep playing this game, and the game needs to make money for that to happen. If you have better ideas to keep it going, please share. But arguing its pay to win is not going to make the game any money. Didn't you say earlier you haven't even tried bard yet? I would appreciate your opinion much more if you had played and used the things you're arguing about.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
  10. maldoke

maldoke Avatar

If you don't like what I say, it's simple, just ignore it

11. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

You should do the same. :D

12. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Pve has always been nerfed because it was too strong. Nothing in this game has ever solely been nerfed because of pvp. Nobody has ever given a **** about pvp in this game.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
  13. Duke Gréagóir

Yes, it does. And “nobody gives a *** about pvp” if you say so, it must be true.

Micmatty and that_shawn_guy like this.
  14. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

I wouldn't call it pay to win at all. There is MANY MMO's out there that offer new skills and gear and zones when you pay $..... They call them expansions. OH wait that's what SOTA calls it too. Pay to win is when you spend 100's of dollars to make your toon OP in a very short amount of time and become a whale. 19$ is showing support for a game you enjoy. Especially considering just buying a paid game nowadays is 50-90$ up front and THEN you have to get addons or expansions or loot boxes. Compared to all the what is now "normal" games, calling the 19$ expansion pay to win is a HUGE stretch just to prove a point.

15. KnightRider0070

KnightRider0070 Bug Hunter

Nooooo

16. Duke Gréagóir

You are right!

17. Akandriel

Akandriel Avatar

Dark Age of Camelot is a very old game that received many updates over time and the game is still running.
    The game has some classes with a pulsing AoE damage over time; Reaver, Valkyrie, Bainshee, but not quite the same as SoTA Bard, but conceptually similar; AoE damage pulses.

Reaver
    Damage (Pulsing PBAOE Chant)
    Target takes damage. Damage done is of the spell's given damage type. Spell affects all enemies in the immediate radius of the caster. Casting the chant again while it is running cancels it. Drops if the caster moves.
    https://darkageofcamelot.com/content/class-library-reaver

Valkyrie
    Frontal (AOE DD Pulse)
    Deals the listed direct damage per pulse to the targets within a frontal cone (90 degree arc) of the caster.
    https://darkageofcamelot.com/content/class-library-valkyrie

Bainshee
    Damage (Pulsing PBAOE Chant)
    Target takes damage. Damage done is of the spell's given damage type. Spell affects all enemies in the immediate radius of the caster. Casting the chant again while it is running cancels it. Drops if the caster moves.
    https://darkageofcamelot.com/content/class-library-bainshee

The game also has damage shields (AoE) where enemy players (or mobs) are hit if they get close; Battle Bards, Wardens, Clerics, Druids, and Shaman.

18. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

There is also,

Bard in Everquest that also has aoe songs

Path of exile has over 9 AOE damaging Auras that follow your character.

Havoc DH has immolation aura

WoW has many aoes that follow you around similar to Aria (which is a aoe that follows you around), such as Druid's Brambles, Shaman lightning shield.

Diablo 4 has Hurricane for the druid, Sorceress Flame Shield.

Im sure there are more but I think that's enough proof.

Adam Crow and that_shawn_guy like this.
  19. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

The ideas i had earlier are a bit harsh and after thinking about it and hearing others discuss it, those ideas would not be a good for the game. Sorry for the attitude in some of my other responses, I get a bit emotional when discussing pvp.

It sucks when changes are made to skills after we get accustomed to using them for so long. When nerfs are made, it totally feels like you're backtracking and i think we've lost a large amount of players due to changes in the past. Maybe they could make the dedicated bard stronger by dramatically reducing casting & charging times for players holding an instrument. So we would keep what we have now the same, but it could give players the chance to be in more of a support role with stronger bard skills and faster execution of them.

Tirrag, Lily Byrd and that_shawn_guy like this.
  20. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

Np man we all get passionate from time to time :). As for the bonus for dedicated bards, they already have a skill in the game for that but they didn't finish implementing it yet. Basically the skill gives you XX% of bard skills when you dont have an instrument equipped. so if the skill is 0 then you get no bonus from bard skills, and I think it needs to be like 180 to get 75% of a bard skills power without a instrument equipped. They just need to finish making it. the skill is in the tree, it just doesn't do anything yet. This would mean that only dedicated bards with a instrument equipped as their combat weapon would get 100% of the skills ability. Its also a passive skill so getting it to 180 would be A LOT of xp.