Shroud will have gender equality, right?

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Shadow of Light Dragon, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow of Light Dragon

Shadow of Light Dragon Avatar

The book passed this test in chapter 9, so in that sense it's already doing better than Tolkein. ;)

Where did anyone say it should be the focus of anything, much less that there should be absolute, unequivocal parity of genders in every field? That'd be absurd.

Remember that I'm drawing my observations from the Blade of the Avatar novel, which, while in progress, is definitely not pre-alpha.

But...they're...not. Besides one single comment that one single general doesn't approve of Syenna wearing garb that isn't traditional for women where he comes from, there is no indication that the Obsidians are sexist (or racist for that matter). If there was it'd make much more sense for few-to-no women being in the army, and honestly I'd accept that as part of the story! But it's not.

Pleased to hear from you, but the game models aren't my concern at the moment (in fact, I've been rather impressed by a lot of the female avatar concept art and especially the armour). As someone pointed out, it is pre-alpha -- I don't expect everything in what's essentially a demo. ;) It's the book written by yourself and Mr Hickman I was drawing my concerns from.

Nonetheless, it's nice to be assured about the game's future. Thank you. :)

quackgyver, Alayth and enderandrew like this.
  2. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Thank you captain buzz kill. IT was a joke, me being silly, thought it was obvious.

Hati and NRaas like this.
  3. fan.of.devin

fan.of.devin Avatar

As a nonbinary, pansexual, pre-transition rutabaga, if Portalarium cannot adequately accommodate my lifestyle I'm afraid I will be forced to contact the ACLU on this matter. I've counted zero rutabaga characters in either the novel or the game so far.

(trigger warning: sarcasm, facetiousness, satire)

DimwitTheWise, Hati and ByTor like this.
  4. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

lol, seriously?

5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Yes, seriously.

If you don't see how "Women doing work = help me" is sexist in a non-trivial and not funny way, then I don't know what to say.

quackgyver likes this.
  6. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

In the context of the 'work' which is lifting a box, yes, its sexist ... towards men, reducing them to mere muscles. And its true because it really does happen. As a non-physically adept male I have been the recipient of that attitude from women of all ages, some of whom I can guarantee are far stronger than me, and its occurred far far far more times than I can count both in an office working environment and in a home setting. I can't count the amount of times women have come to our section and gone, "We need one of the boys to move things for us." that were in no way related to our duties, even while we had more physically adept women there. I'm finding its gradually getting better in my work place as staff retire and new staff come in, but the underlying attitude is still there. If you've never been the recipient of that form of sexism, congratulations.

So yes, as both a recipient of violence and the threat of violence from women, and having the more manual work delegated to me simply because of my gender, I can see the acknowledgement of sexism in attitudes towards men in the image, and I can laugh at it. So thank you, Grace, for letting me have a chuckle at the unfairness of the world.

PS. Yes, I actually can count :D Just 16 years of work, and the years of my youth adds up to more instances than I can count. I wasn't keeping statistics on that. ^~

---

Back on topic, I'm looking forward to seeing how the world evolves and grows, especially with some of the ethnic reveals in recent chapters. I feel far more comfortable with the character concept I'd been exploring for the game, knowing that there is an ingame equivalent and that it isn't as Euro-centric as I'd feared. ( Hopefully we'll get to explore forms of heraldry with other cultures as well now :D ) And that we'll have characters in the game that we can get to know and love as much as the Julias, Katrinas, Mariahs, Jaanas and Gwennos.

... now that I think of it, there was a 50/50 split in gender representation of the 8 companions of the Avatar. My party seemed to always get filled up with the women of Ultima, since I found them to be more interesting characters in general rather than the fratpack of Iolo, Dupre and Shamino (and poor Geoffrey who was just so Valorous we always left him at home guarding Lord British) So I have faith in Richard and co.

Hati, ByTor and NRaas like this.
  7. Hati

Hati Avatar

Always some political standpoint to get on a soap box about. Huge personal opinion, message or issues you want to confront? Make your own game. Your here because you like these peoples work . Trust them to do a good job instead trying make a mountain out of a mole hill. When you buy a car you don't call the factory and tell them how the engine should fit.
    Lets remember folks, this is a game and a hobby, not an election.

Thanks to anyone out there with a sense of humor or a realistic view of things instead of railing at game makers about the unfairness of the world.
    Thx Brit team for what seems to be an interesting game. Im looking forward to it.

8. monfols

monfols Avatar

I think this thread is a huge insult to the game developers who are making this game.
    By making such a big show about something so insolent you are directly insulting the developers, writers and game designers of the whole UO series and I find this repulsive.
    As Hati mentioned if you do not like a product do not force your opinion about it onto others and just buy something you do like, because this whole discussion is just plain insulting.
    Respect the choices of the developers and let people decide on their own if they like it or not, but do not ridicule the developers with such a non-existent problem of yours.

fan.of.devin likes this.
  9. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Its a medieval fantasy world not a 21 century Politically Correct orientated book & game.

fan.of.devin likes this.
  10. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

My two cents:

It depends on the actually historical accuracy of the game world. If this is a true reproduction of medieval Europe then no, there should be no gender equality.

That being said, this is an idealistic fantasy world and I think that is should be completely and totally gender equal. Fantasy has a very strong history of gender equality and does not necessarily reflect the shameful history of our world past or present.

Akeashar and NRaas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.