Smartphone Intergration

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Sigma476, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I was thinking that for the Android version the conversation system would be awesome because you can actually just use the voice typing to say what you want I use it on my phone all the time it works really good actually! There really is no reason not to have full blown SotA on Android Phones and Tablets but it's mainly the controls that are going to have to be simplified/modified. I really look forward to seeing what happens with this if it turns out to be like Phantasy Star Online 2 style where the Phone Version is just a separate game that adds points and items to the real game that would be fine with me as well. I'm really loving the idea for having a tablet or a phone used as a map/eternal help source as well maybe the mobile version will do all of the above who knows!

BorgKitten likes this.
  2. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I wonder if this is still a possibility. Could this be the next stretch goal? (4 million - smartphone/tablet integration)

3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I wouldn't mind an interactive map that you could have on a second screen, but I don't want them to divest resources better spent on the main game for second screen on a mobile device.

4. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I'd like to use it for guild chat when I am offline. I would love to be able to bug Isaiah and Doppelganger while I'm on the bus.

sent from the future using my Coleco Adam

Time Lord and Miracle Dragon like this.
  5. DimwitTheWise

DimwitTheWise Avatar

I would love to see a tavern crawl (bar hop). Your character would appear in your chosen in your chosen city tavern and you could interact via the chat box with anyoe there. Dance, emote, talk, flirt, curse, etc. It could be a meeting place for people who are at work to talk in game while not in game. Guilds, friends, strangers, etc.

In addition to the map and inventory and 2ndary ideas presented, I like a tavern socializing app to stay connected when you have a few minutes. Maybe even have multiplayer minigames like darts, chess, checkers, backgammon, or something to play with someone. A social app as your SotA toon.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  6. Floors

Floors Avatar

It would be cool if we could play using an iPad

7. 3devious

3devious Avatar

If Mel didn't keep submitting heavy assets you could. Just kidding. His models are pretty efficient. There is just so much stuff and so much of it can be interacted with.
    You iPad would hate you forever and you don't want that because it knows where you live, who you friends are and what your browsing history is.

Time Lord and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  8. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

If you guild uses Mumble for guild chat, then you can do that already.

9. 3devious

3devious Avatar

MGT470 said they'll adopt it. I hope everyone does if that is the case.

Time Lord and mitchellhamilton like this.
  10. Mattsy

Mattsy Avatar

I really do like some of these ideas. I would want them to be limited to a convenience factor rather than provide anyone with actual benefits or overall advantage. There's times in real life I wouldn't want to be forced to think about gaming! (Like if I'm gaming stuffed if I want to think about work!)

I could also handle a crafting mini-game. As long as it was balanced and non-exploitable. If I'm waiting in an airport, doctor's room etc at least its mildly 'productive' downtime. Again, balance here is the key.

11. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I hear ya. I just want my SotA mobile experience to connect me to the community not be another grinding platform.

12. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I have no issue with it as long a strict security testing is done.

13. Floors

Floors Avatar

Really ? I dunno. It's not like SOTA looks like Crysis or something.

I'm pretty sure it could be rendered on an iPad Air's quad core graphics chip. Maybe at a limited resolution, sure... but it's a 9.7" screen.

14. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I don't really mean with shaders or anything. There is just a sheer volume of things that iPads can't handle compared to a PC. Most of the scenes I work with in Unity are pretty big and have no special shaders other than normal maps and ridiculous amounts of alpha. We also don't use nearly the number of light sources as this game does. They'd have to do a lot of tweaking to get the kind of performance I'd want to see on an iPad. They could do it but I hope that has a lower priority at this point (not just because of my partiality to my Surface 2 pro.)

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

They could make it so you could do things like administer vendors via a web or smartphone app. They could also go a similar route like how Neverwinter has with sword coast adventures - although amusingly of late I find that more fun than the actual game. =P

I like the idea of using a tablet or phone as a minimap map. I don't know if anyone played Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for the Game Cube, but you could connect a GBA to it and it worked as a map screen. It wasn't all that useful but it was an interesting idea.

smack likes this.
  16. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Play infinity blade 3. iPad can handle everything SotA can throw at it!

Time Lord likes this.
  17. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Wish I could but that's the work iPad. I don't have one of my own.

Time Lord and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  18. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

You get to use an iPad for work? Cool!

Time Lord likes this.
  19. 3devious

3devious Avatar

It would be if I got to have an iTunes account on it, connect it to a WiFi hotspot to get online with it. (You know the things that normal sane people do on their iPads.) I do get to load lots of Unity scenes though which almost makes up for it.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. smack

smack Avatar

I'm a fan of second screen apps when done right. We know that Richard wants the "full" experience on tablets as well but we need alternate user interface experiences that don't rely on a keyboard and mouse as SotA currently requires. It's far easier to design secondary apps and there are some great ideas in this thread and others. There's already a big push in this space with other publishers and if Portalarium wants to be a pioneer here, they can certainly do it....but, priorities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.