What PvP Players can look forward to

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by enderandrew, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Again, really not true. Some stats are built into the gear. The ones you can modify are far less important in PvP than PvE because you're simply not trying to get up a rotation in PvP. (Intelligent opponents tend to move.) PvE would be designed around having the perfect buffs and hitting haste caps to fit the perfect rotation...but those are widely variable in PvP, you can't plan on them and there's just many more elements of the fight you can't control the same way. I

I'm not saying it doesn't matter at all. The question was "PvP is min/max PvE is more interesting" and my point is the opposite is true. Because you are building around a more variable team, more variable encounter distance, more variable opponents. You play to your personal strengths and weakness as well. If I'm not that good, I don't want the build of a high skill cap player. I may want something much tankier. Or I may go all in risky offense, plan on dying a lot but at least have a shot at a kill. Or I may go all escapes and snipe and run. But as my skill (or gear in this case) grows, I can cheat in other directions. It's all fluid and completely depends.

In my build, I may choose among 3 types of CC: slow, stun, and sleep. Sleep is generally good for PvE because the encounter is controlled. My job is to "sleep square." But any might be good for PvP. Slow controls encounter distance, stun is a great interrupt, sleep can be great in a well coordinated team but may otherwise be terrible. It's highly situational and depends on my playstyle.

2. Starkiller-BH

Starkiller-BH Avatar

No PvE rewards are not necessary to play the game any more than PvP rewards are necessary to play the game. You can get gear from Vendors, Crafters, Auctions and all can be done without fighting AI mobs, so your example is just another opinion and incorrect when based on fact. You could do the same AFK whacking on a mob and that is WAY more prevalent in any game then AFK PvPing, it is called botting. Another incorrect point on your point. PvP rewards should be as equal as PvE rewards against and unintelligent AI.

3. Starkiller-BH

Starkiller-BH Avatar

See you can insert PvE everywhere you had PvP and everything still makes sense in your structure so quit acting like PvE is better or harder than PvP, because it most assuredly is not.

Hettar and Ara like this.
  4. Starkiller-BH

Starkiller-BH Avatar

Actually the game is not PvE, it is many different things and you are trying to pigeon hole it into what you want it to be. I haven't gone into PvE threads to tell people how they should be PvEing or what they should or should not get for PvEing, why are you here doing that? Rewards should be equal for killing a living, breathing, thinking opponent as it should be for fighting an unintelligent repetitive AI mob.

5. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Back to the original thread, I think what you can look forward to in PvP is specific goals that are contested; though they will be ever shifting as the resources rise and fade away. That along with castle type siege warfare and guild warfare is about it. There may be a Full PvP flag, but I can't see any scenario where they will allow full loot If they do that then they will be going down the old UO road and there will be a lot of rage quitting.

6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

and on the other hand if PVP open world does not have full loot some pvp will quit also they probably wont rage quit tho, since there are other games out there that cater to that type of game play. Personally i dont think they will go for full loot since the aspect of this game seems to me, to lean more towards the non pvp individuals. i personally dont look at guild war, or arena or duel as a pure pvp, partial pvp yes, but full no. heres the reason..because it is too regulated to be pure pvp, for obvious reasons.

why was the last post where you mentioned me getting dinged put under "awaiting moderator approval?" i re read that post over and over and didnt find anything abusive or bad about it? So if it was put under that because it may offend me, it does not! just saying.:)

7. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

It was probably reported by someone, no biggie! ;)

8. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Why wouldnt it go full loot since you can completely avoid pvp if u want?

blaquerogue likes this.
  9. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I think that if you want to draw in the curious, the inexperienced and the casual PvP players, you are not going to want to threaten them with full loot. They just won't take the chance. My opinion.

Phredicon likes this.
  10. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Damn, my son was looking forward to playing a RPG Full Loot !
    He and his gang could not wait.

blaquerogue likes this.
  11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The wait is almost over, the PvP mega thread will be posted once they refine it from being ripped apart by the Dev+ people. It will explain why they have been saying all along they it will not be full loot.

12. Veylen The AenigmA

Well i dont really care if the casual non experienced players are there all they do is whine until they get the game butchered for others. There are plenty of games for that type of player its time they make a GOOD one for everyone else just because its a smaller communty doesnt mean they should be ignored like they usually are at the expense of gameplay and all in search of a wider market and more money. Id like to see a company not cave to coporate greed and i think thats why pll have high hopes for KS and this game

13. Lethe Walpurga

Lethe Walpurga Avatar

The diversity that exists or potentially exists in any game makes PvP and/or PvE either very challenging or very boring. A good AI makes PvE challenging. Flavor of the month, cookie cutter actions and builds make PvP boring. Item based systems remove skill requirement from PvP to a large degree. Poor AI turns PvE into a grind. Gear based game ruin both.

I think every player, even if they do both, prefers one more than the other because they think that one is more challenging and/or fun. Great. Your supposed to like the game. This also means you played this style before and probably have some very distinct ideas about what made you like that play style.

What would make PvE and/or PvP better in this game....for you?

Things I would like to see in PVP:

- a large variety of builds. So provide a reason for hybrid builds not cookie cutter ones. Provide a diverse array of combos available only from having multiple skills some of which are non combat.
    - non item based. Make it so a toon in vanilla gear is only at a max potential disadvantage of less than 5% to someone in top end gear.
    - opposing magics. You can't be a fire mage and an ice mage etc. Each tree has a "nemesis" tree. Not the best word but you get the idea.
    - greatly increased failure rate when trying to hide or stealth in light.
    - significant deterrents to criminal behavior. I never liked the UO approach of removing the toon from play as a deterrent. I would rather see it be more difficult to be criminal. I will use UO as a refence as it is my greatest pool of experience. PK/Thieves - stamina loss 25% faster, recall 2 second delay, PK's can't precast, Potion use delay times..PK/thieves get 1 second extra delay. That kind of thing as far as game mechanics along with the social aspects...no access to guarded areas, limited NPC trading etc. This makes criminals notably harder to play. Anyone who goes grey...ie a blue who loots, also suffers these as temporary consequences.
    - Tournament areas where you can create controlled fights..1v1, 2v2 etc.
    - Tournaments where people/teams would compete. Daily or at least weekly. Yes rewards would be given but they would only be swag, house decorations or a moderate amount of gold. Nothing that could affect game play.

Thing I would like to see in PvE/RP:

- Smart AI... mobs have and use the same abilites as players..ie they try to run away and hide when seriously hurt, they heal themselves and fellow mobs, at mid level difficulty they work together with other mobs in combat.
    - no safe places in dungeons where you can sit behind rocks or whatever and kill mobs without risk, or afk there
    - More suspension of disbelief with traps. No random spike traps in the floor of a rock dungeon filled with low end mobs...but locked and trapped doors in an evil mages tower.
    - Diversity of builds required for high end areas. Those trapped and locked doors can only be open by someone with lock picking and trap removal.
    - secret rooms and passages...can only be found by someone with a certain skill. ie..an expert in mining would notice the door because of the change in the rock etc..in the mages tower the secret room can only be found by the toon with expert carpentry..then the thief still has to pick the lock etc...

I have lots more ideas but this is already a book so that'll be it...for now.

Rothach and Ned888 like this.
  14. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I guess that you should consider why gaming companies get into the business of making games to begin with. Sure making niche games is fun and rewarding, but in order to make the money they need to appeal to a much broader audience. It's not greed to put out a moderate product that is a financial success. It's consumer greed to expect that the customer is always right and the provider better do what I say or I walk.

Phredicon likes this.
  15. Veylen The AenigmA

Its not consumer greed to expect a good game and there are plenty of people that put them out without selling out and cashing in. Ie the explosion of indie games

16. PaCOatlanticBaja

PaCOatlanticBaja Avatar

I thought the pvp announcement would of been up already.. maybe tomorrow. ?

17. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

Lol, it is up as we speak :)

18. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

And has been for quite some time :)

Time Lord and Ned888 like this.
  19. Veylen The AenigmA

Lonk? Cant find it. I mean link plz

20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar