Different types of houses

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by smack, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

Not sure if anyone saw the gameplay video that RG did for Kotaku, but he showed how buying a house worked.

Click on the flag on the empty lot, and you're offered several buying choices. Note, this was in a "town" as mentioned in the video.
    Thatched Cottage - 750 gold
    Tudor Cottage - 2,000
    Stone Cottage - 4,000
    Retail Shop - 10,000

He didn't appear to scroll through all options -- just stopped it at Retail Shop. Every time he went through the options, the house shape changed and appeared to get bigger with each iteration. The size of the lot did not change.

So it appears there will be different level of houses, and what you can do with them. Not every house can have vendors, it seems you will have to pay more to offer that type of service. Perhaps there will be an upgrade option for players that already own houses.

I'm also guessing those are place holder prices, but it will give you a sense of the multiplying factors to the different levels.

2. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Well, hopefully for $500 i can place any type on the list in the Village. Then $500 seams reasonable. Citizen!!!

3. Cleome Arachnid

Cleome Arachnid Avatar

Smack, link?

4. John McLarren

John McLarren Avatar

Anais:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RawpdadJrY

About 1:15 in.

5. Ahjian

Ahjian Avatar

I would really like to know what type of housing we can place for the different tiers.

Hope players can place castles at the highest tier!

6. Malgarth

Malgarth Avatar

Well castle or not, atleast a manor should be available

7. Strongsquirrel1

Strongsquirrel1 Avatar

I would like to see, if you build a house and want to change it to something else you could by having a deconstruction fee then choose what you want on the property after that like a business. It would make senses if you did this that you could salvage some material out of deconstruction to make the next step slightly cheaper.

8. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I guess that answers my question about being able to build customized houses (at least in the beginning). It appears that you will only be able to select pre-fab abodes. Hopefully, like in UO, eventually you'll be able to build custom houses.

Also looking forward to seeing more about the gardens he mentioned we would have. In one video, he mentioned that some houses will have "more room for a garden" than other houses.

9. Sebastion2

Sebastion2 Avatar

The other thing to note is that it sounds as though the Deed to the land costs in-game money (unless you pledge $500+ now) and then building a structure on the property will cost additional in-game money. So, while early pledgers may be able to grab some land now, they won't be able to build on it until they earn enough in-game funds to do so.

10. urbanotter

urbanotter Avatar

What about habitable boats or ships as this was used in UO. I loved my ship ! Any chance of that happening ?

11. smack

smack Avatar

@weaverjk: Actually, a free house will come with each KS backer deed. they haven't said what kind of house it will be yet, as they're still working through the design and models. But it very likely will be different types of houses per value of deed.

@urbanotter: They talked about houseboats earlier in the live videos. A mobile houseboat is unlikely (technical reasons, at least), but it looks like they may entertain a static, non-moving one. They didn't commit to it, but they liked the idea of houseboat. No mention of availability or pricing of a houseboat deed...

12. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Project update #22
    $500 Tier (CITIZEN)- Citizen and above now contains:

NEW: Available only to backers, be the envy of the neighborhood with your upscale Citizen's home, uniquely identifiable as a Founders Citizen house!
    That's friggen awesome!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DavenRock likes this.
  13. Behudeti

Behudeti Avatar

How about Condo's?

You would own both, but be able to Gift or Rent out the other half to friends etc...

14. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

This is what I've gathered..The important part is the deed...the deed gets you the land, and the KS pledge levels come with a free starter house. You want a different house on your deed of land, then you buy it. You move your deed to a different lot/village/city/etc. you drop it select from your existing house type or buy a new one and then it moves everything releasing your old lot.

15. Tanglewood

Tanglewood Avatar

Something which I have not really seen fleshed out in much detail in this housing forum is around the different housing avilable to the different tier levels. I personally have not pledged enough to get any housing in this (so I would consider myself unbiased), however, I would hope to see that the higher tiers get access to additional housing plans (pre-fabs... if it is going to have pre-fabs) that the lower tiers cannot get.

I understand that in regard to the "backers" for the kickstarter they get access to "upscale" homes. However, after the game launches... I feel that those who acquire town and city plots should get access to additional designs not available to the tier below them (obviosuly the t/c backers should also get access to these). As was clearly seen in UO, location was not the only aspect that determined value (eg: a small house directly outside britain was still worth substantially less than a patio in the jungles far away from town).

From what I have seen on youtube etc so far in relation to housing outside of the kickstarter packages, it seems as though village plots would currently be able to access the same housing designs as the town and city plot holders. I am aware that it is all only in its early stages of development and is completely subject to change, but I would really hope that there is more variety in house designs as you progress up through the tiers v/t/c.

This would allow the towns and cities and villages look more different from one another and would also provide more of an incentive for people to move up to town/city lots. Yes this does create inequality within game, but that is what gives people more ambition to aim for something else within game (ie: makes it more fun). Why upgrade to a town lot when you can only build the same house design that you could before on a village lot? Yes, trade would be better, can have more guild housing in the one area, but it would also be great if you can have more variety with housing. Even if additional housing designs for the higher tiers is not there for episode one, I would at least hope (maybe even go so far as to say expect) it to be there for episode 2.

Just my own personal ideas... maybe the majority of other players are just far more concerned with the trade/guild aspects... what do other people think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.