"FPS" Action-oriented combat option?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by TQuin, Mar 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'm not sure if @TQuin is more interested in a first person view, or fast-paced, twitchy combat.

2. TQuin

TQuin Avatar

Sorry. Wrote a reply and my phone's browser refreshed and blew it away. Out shopping for an engagement ring now. Will elaborate a little while later.

3. enderandrew

Congrats on the pending engagement!

TQuin likes this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Why does SotA have to be a 'shooter?'

Aren't there enough shooters out there already? Half the games on the market are shooters.

5. TQuin

TQuin Avatar

Thanks, friend!

I really don't have time to spin my wheels arguing against narrow-minded people. If you want a copy-pasted MMO with no innovation that appeals only to a narrow audience, you have fun with Ultima XIV Worldquest of Evercraft and I'll "go play a different game."

All I'm looking for is a reason to put my money in to this concept that you claim to love and yet seem determined to force in to a much smaller box than it needs. To hell with it. If the we can't keep the conversation productive, I'm not going to waste my time.

6. enderandrew

An MMO shooter isn't necessarily innovating. Look at Planetfall and Planetfall 2.

SotA will be innovating with selective multiplayer, how they're handling NPC conversations, the deck based combat, etc.

If you truly want a shooter and you don't want to play a game like Ultima, then this probably isn't the project for you.

Hettar and Umbrae like this.
  7. TQuin

TQuin Avatar

To be fair, mate, that's really not what I was suggesting at all. An alternative control style doesn't demand changing gameplay, it's just a different approach to character handling. I also realize I'm in the minority which is why I was suggesting it be an option and not the default configuration much in the same way an sensible game developer will account for people who can't wrap their brain around the notion that tilting your head back does not cause you to look down (vertical axis mouse inversion if you couldn't figure out the example). The implied message from the majority here is that it's in the developer's interest to alienate a minority but by no means small portion of their prospective customers because you feel strongly that limiting money coming in to support the game will somehow enhance your experience. Sounds to me like a recipe for victory, hands down. You had me at "no money." Hats off, gentlemen. We have achieved greatness.

8. enderandrew

I asked above for a clarification what specifically you're looking for in the game.

Is the first person perspective what is important, or fast paced combat?

TQuin likes this.
  9. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

If all you want is controller options I am sure the game will have it, but the current design isn't focused on controller so you will always need to use a mouse at some point. However, many people have played with a controller to control the character even in the alphas its just not officially supported yet. Combat is currently designed to be "card-like" so I think using a FPS style control will not be possible. I think a mouse will still be required. However, we have yet to test the system which is in the next release.

I don't think people are trying to push you away, but we don't want you to spend money on a game that may not be designed for your style of play. Based on your OP I took it that you wanted FPS combat, which based on the current design is really a long shot. However, if you just want to move around FPS like you might get close; although you will still need to release the look-lock and use the mouse for clicking stuff like managing your inventory or using skills.

It just might be safer to hold back and pick up the game on release if it meets your needs.

TQuin likes this.
  10. TQuin

TQuin Avatar

I'm sorry I wasn't able to respond sooner before things got out of hand. There's been a lot of assumption and some of it is borderline offensive. For instance, I think Planetfall is a terrible game for mouth-breathers. I'm not interested in anything that would change the pacing, atmosphere, or general concept. What I propose would only impact the way the player looks and walks around the available areas and the method utilized to execute attacks. I'm not asking for the game to cater to immature twats who run and jump all over the place, standing and squatting intermittently over other players and NPCs, "teabagging" as it's called in those circles. I'm only interested in opening up options for the game to be controlled in different ways. In short, don't try to place me in the same category as those people. I have nightmares about people like that. I believe they're called children.

Realistically, that is precisely what I suggest, simply an alternative method of navigation, observation, and a streamlined approach to combat on some level. I actually prefer keyboard and mouse, but my approach is different and I find conventional MMO control schemes disorienting. Naturally, things like inventory management should be handled with a mouse.

Thank you for bringing this conversation back on course. I had honestly reached a point where I felt that I wasn't being given a fair shot at justifying my position and had given up, but I fortunately forgot to unfollow the thread.

When discussing things like this, I try to take a business-oriented position, looking at it from a cost vs. revenue perspective. A change like this would be fairly low-cost to implement, requiring mostly initial man-hours to incorporate, but could open the game up to a wider audience thus increasing revenue exponentially, particularly on a microtransaction model. I play Star Trek Online largely because I'm a long-endoctrinated Trekkist, and I'm thrilled to no end when I drop $20-25 every other week for a new starship, but I never considered playing once until they added a crosshairs-based control method. I know there are more people like me. From a business perspective, it's worth investigating.

Ragnabrock likes this.
  11. Ragnabrock

Ragnabrock Avatar

I have to agree with TQuin. The more control options the better the game. I have always preferred a first person view myself. I always get a little confused with working from a third person perspective. I personally like the idea of having a targeting reticule option if that's what makes your engine rev.

docdoom77 and TQuin like this.
  12. TQuin

TQuin Avatar

I prefer third person to first, but as an option, I can get behind it. Gets my vote.

Ragnabrock likes this.
  13. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

That is totally understandable. However, I don't see the current combat design working on a controller. What has been described is actually more suited to a touch interface than even a mouse. Its possible the combat design might change, but what they have in mind now I think is going to be frustrating - if at all possible - with a controller.

Movement and exploring the world, even if not "officially" supported, should be fine with a controller though.

More on the combat system:
    https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/lets-talk-about-combat.4094/

TQuin likes this.
  14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Might get a little more traction if you worked on your delivery style a bit.

Ragnabrock and docdoom77 like this.
  15. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I use a controller on nearly all my games, I do use the mouse when there is tons of inventory to shift, but the mouse works fine with my controller, hers a tutorial vid I did on using a controller for LOTRO.

TQuin likes this.
  16. TQuin

TQuin Avatar

I play some games with a controller, but wouldn't be inclined to play a game like this with one, though I could find a way if I had to. The touch device is news to me. That's an.. interesting choice.

You haven't said a single positive thing in this entire exchange.

Very thorough. Thank you!

Miganarchine likes this.
  17. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

With that logic: if I wanted card game mechanics...

Anyway,

I think they've said they're not going to do a first person view right away, but I could be wrong on that. There really isn't anything that would preclude it from the game, and it would probably add to the immersion of the game in both combat and non-combat scenario. If someone wanted to try and work the mechanics first person style I don't see any reason that should be a no go. But it wouldn't really pick up the pace of combat or give the player any more control over the situation.

I'd love to see a First Person perspective offer up some interesting Easter eggs to those who want to take a moment in game to get right into their character and look around at places the camera wouldn't see if they were using 3rd person cameras.

TQuin likes this.
  18. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Just found this thread. What I reported as a "bug" in Release 4 combat is already discussed here. I too want more FPS style (with 1st person view option) for combat. I even referenced Underworld which was a fantastic game due to story elements, mechanics, inventory, flying, and all of that. The Elder Scrolls is basically an upgraded version which is why I like it (only played ES3).
    So Ping... yes, that is why most FPS games are limited to 128 people max and you might not be able to join a server if your ping is too high. But COD, Battlefield, etc. all want to rely on split decision targeting and quick movements.... so why not remove the 'fast' element and make an MMO type of combat that is 'slower'. If you lower the speed of combat in general, it may seem laggy to a lot, but when they realize it is everyone (plus the motion stays fluid) then you will get used to it fast. The slower the combat, 1. the easier to accommodate larger amounts of people in one space, 2. it levels out the ping, 3. it gives more time to find quick keys, skill sets, potions, etc., 4. it can really make people need to use strategy, flanking, dodging, and thought instead of just clicking and watching.

----------------------------
    [insert clever tagline, pictures, and/or quotes here] ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.