Some ideas for Player to Player house rental features

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Lithius, Jan 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lithius

Lithius Avatar

It would be great if SotA had detailed in-game features that allowed house owners to rent out their house (or parts of their house) to other players.

I'm not too sure if this has been confirmed by the SotA dev team.

However, i would like them to go into finer detail with the house rental features considering that housing economy will be large part of the game.

For instance, players will have -

* The option to rent an entire house to a player.

* The option to rent a particular room within a house to a player. A house with 4 rooms could conceivably be rented out to 4 different players at the same time.

* The option to rent out a house (or room) for a specified length of time. For example, landlord goes on holiday for a month and wants to rent out property for a short period of time to make sure some money is rolling into the bank account to pay houses taxes etc etc. This feature would be automated and would automatically kick-out the tenant (and place his belongings in the bank) when the month has expired.

* The option to automate rental payments so that face-to-face transactions are not required.

* The ability to stipulate what room and what privileges and access the tenant would have within the house. For example, the tenant might only be able to open the front door to the house, and the door to the second room in the house (the room they are renting). Dependent on the privileges that are issued by the landlord, the tenant might only be able to interact with items within the room he/she is renting.

* I would like to see a very detailed list of options for providing house privileges to friends and tenants.

* The option to rent out small plots of land on the landlords property for players to farm.

* The option to rent out a small plot of land so that a player can pitch a tent (or something of similar size). A landlord could conceivably rent the entire land property out to several customers who would like to pitch a tents. It would be a caravan park of sorts.

* The option to rent out vendor spots to players who want to sell wares on the landlords property.

* An in-game classifieds notice board that advertises the aforementioned features to prospective tenants.

Finally, I don't want to see renting options provided by NPC's (i.e. players renting rooms in NPC taverns, etc). I feel that this would be an opportunity wasted in terms of creating an exciting and vibrant marketplace. Lets see player landlord and player tenant interactions.

Hettar, Time Lord, Seon and 5 others like this.
  2. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Shroud of the Landlord.

Time Lord, chuzpah and monkeysmack like this.
  3. Maka

Maka Avatar

Shroud of the never gonna happen. Very cool well thought out ideas but just not practical or comparable with the concept or tech. Not to mention we've only seen one or two houses with any rooms. The other houses are basically open floor plans. I don't even think they could assign different permissions to different basement levels. I believe we'll see access to house, craft in house, decorate house and the same three permission for basements.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

If players want to do this then they can privately and between themselves, but having an actual system that simplifies it and monitors it i think probably wont happen.

5. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Seems like way to much trouble to retrofit. I have nothing against them adding commercial buildings with built in features, such as an Inn where these mechanics were in place.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. smack

smack Avatar

This would be an extension of the rentable buildings that will be in the game. Players will be able to rent out buildings so the infrastructure will at least be there. Whether or not the Devs choose to extend that so that the transaction can also occur between players is unknown.

$1.9M: The World is a Stage!
    A new City Center Theater building
    Rentable by an individual or group for a performance
    Only approved individuals may enter backstage or on stage
    Players must pay to enter seating areas
    Viewers may only emote, such as claps (claps are tracked to “rate” the performance)
    Money goes to performers for their performance
    Also useable for weddings and other community events!
    We add a full complement of “masks” and “costumes” for use at various events.

So this will be in place at least for entire buildings. I doubt they will do it for individual rooms within buildings, be it Theaters or Player Housing.

7. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Has anyone reminded Starr of these things recently?

8. smack

smack Avatar

Rumor has it, Richard posted the Stretch Goals on the front door exit to entice them to continue working. Unfortunately, they all sneak out the back window now.

9. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

Envy / Midian and Lithius like this.
  10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I like the idea of forcing players to figure out how they'll accomplish it instead of hard-coded systems. It has that social interaction, ingenuity and risk/reward factor that you lose with a system that is forced.

Also, based on what I've seen, with a village lot and a knights keep (biggest house that will ever be available for village lots) I can tell you I wont want to rent out my house, there is just enough room for me, and possibly a friend or 2 to be kindred. The Lords house isn't a whole lot bigger.

Once you get to LOTM or Baron sized houses I can see there being enough room to rent out. But now you are dealing with the largest city sized houses possible and a very small percentage of the player base. I don't see the development cost/time to be worth it.

Olahorand likes this.
  11. Peppamel

Peppamel Avatar

I think it would be great to not only make the world feel more alive, but would greatly help player interactions and introduce new players into the game easier. Player run inns would be really cool to see, as well as a possible Lord/Serf relationship where you live on a person's property in exchange for your work gathering materials or something. I agree with others though that it would probably be best as a player run system instead of an implemented system. Allowing people different tiers of interaction with your home was a feature of Ultima Online, and I would assume it would appear here too so that may already allow this to happen!

Time Lord and * Envy / Midian * like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

As a renter, if the devs just give me the ability to set different housing permissions on different areas of the house I'm renting - all problems are solved and I can manage everything myself.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I think it's a great idea. I am already going to rent out to friends/guild members through a basic agreement system. Two story houses could be rented out by floor.

It would be nice to see a true mechanised system for the second release in 2015, they could potentially design specific inn houses for this exact purpose.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Well done Lithius. If I may contribute to your suggestion: The rent remains the same until the "contract" is breached. This way the landowner cant raise the rent for no apparent reason, but once said "contract" is breached, the landowner may set the rent at a different price.

Time Lord and * Envy / Midian * like this.
  15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Very similar to vendor contracts in UO. I like it.

Time Lord and Seon like this.
  16. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Are you talking about in-game monetary transactions, or outside the game, or both?

17. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

I've seen rent features like this implemented in Second Life, and Second Life is 10 years old.

18. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I missed to reply on time, so i will use this necro-opportunity to say that a hard coded system for rental features would let:

The developers to track how much demand for this system is.
    The developers set min-max prices for rental if needed.
    Create a town-square blog with rental offers.
    The owners to rent rooms without the need to be online.
    Dis-encourage griefing between players ($ robbery): items in rented rooms only modified by the renter, chests that can be only open by the renter, system to get the items in the proper bank if the house is modified or selled, etc.
    incentive rental interaction between players.
    The players to have a secure way to hang their stuff.
    Set maximum items to be placed in certain rented room (so the renter don abuse).

And another ones i cant think right now xD (i dont know if the word renter is fine)

19. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

This idea was discussed quite early if I recall correctly. There has been much discussion on renting rooms, both instanced and non, and how it could be implemented. If memory also serves, the devs said it wouldn't be implemented in Episode 1. While there are permissions for an entire house, there isn't (or won't be) per room / per floor. And furthermore, there won't be an official system to support it.

Initially I thought renting wouldn't be possible but I've come to realise that renting out an entire house would be fairly straight forward. It requires some trust, of course, but should be fairly simple to do. Myself and others have been discussing how to handle contracts, some of which is in private messages and some of which is on my guild website. We haven't focused solely on renting though, but it is a topic worth discussing.

20. Andri

Andri Avatar

This is a good idea...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.