Preventing Accidental or Involuntary PvP

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Rufus D`Asperdi, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Assuming that there will be a Mixed population in Shroud of the Avatar, some that wish to PvP, and some wish to avoid it at all times, or only participate when they wish to, I would request two features.

1) Alerting, in the form of a dialog box, that must be consented to to perform any action that might 'flag' you for PvP. Ideally this could be toggled on an off in preferences.

2) A preference setting that would default, without actually presenting the dialog, the answer to the "This is going to flag you for PvP if you do this. Are you sure you want to do it?" dialog to "No" and would simply disallow taking the action that would have resulted in a PvP flag.

If it were felt necessary to put time limits for changing settings to prevent anticipated exploits, that would be entirely reasonable.

Thank you.

Time Lord and Golem Dragon like this.
  2. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I think a 30-60 minute flag would suffice.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

If possible, PvP should be decided before entering a hex.

4. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Need a one hour cool down on denied duel requests from the same player. This will keep players from pestering each other.

5. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

An idea for removing Bot farmers: ( if you don't like it feel free to say so.)

A death match duel option that gives 30 seconds to respond or else be flagged.

If it appears someone is using a bot program. Challenge and wait for the timer to flag them.

I know this is counter productive to an accidental flag thread. I just really get annoyed by gold spammers.

Everyone else deserves to play their style.

BillRoy and O`Sullivan like this.
  6. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

My understanding of the proposed PvP approach outlines that PvP and non-PvP will not be able to interact in that manner at all. Which I presume means that one will be unable to accidentally engage the other side.

One needs to explicitly party with a PvP player to temporarily alter your own PvP status. In that case, yes a prompt would certainly be advantageous.

The devs have noted that a prompt will be provided if a non-PvP user attempts to enter a PvP enforced hex.

As for an option to toggle on/off the prompt, sounds great to me. The more interface options the better in my opinion. :)

Umbrae likes this.
  7. Alazar

Alazar Avatar

And what about mining? If a miner go off-PvP that would not be as risky as it should be. PK's could only attack and win some money only against combat skilled? Cause I guess every crafting skilled would go off-PvP.
    And idea? Set poor-medium resources off-PvP hex and medium-high resources on-PvP hex.

8. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

And duplicate the EA version of Ultima Online as it sits in present day. PvP's reward is the PvP itself not for the extra resources.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Sorry, but I will not accept PvE players having exclusive rights to every item in the game, while at the same time trying to leave PvP players with nothing but sentimental value.

PvP needs tangible items to compete in the economy, the value needs to reflect the risk that the devs have already acknowledged.

3devious likes this.
  10. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I admire the intention, but gold farmers will be playing SPO. :(

BillRoy likes this.
  11. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Good call, I hadn't thought of that.

12. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

PvE players would not HAVE exclusive rights to every item in the game. The key word there is EXCLUSIVE. PvP players could get the items too. Possibly not by PvP, in some cases. You may have to do some gathering and crafting to get certain things. But insisting that you could gain those items BY KILLING THE PLAYERS WHO HAVE THEM would be more akin to the crafters demanding that they be able to kill you with a ranged blacksmithing check, turning their crafting skill into a direct weapon. If you want what they gather, gather it or buy it. If you want what they make, make it or buy it. If they CHOOSE to play PvP, then feel free to give them the consummate experience of being murdered and robbed.

Thing is, it's already been said that PvP will be ENTIRELY consensual. If they (the gatherer crafters) don't consent, it ain't gonna happen, no matter how much people (such as yourself) say they want it.

BillRoy and Lord Gréagóir like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.