To build a home ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Viper0hr, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viper0hr

Viper0hr Avatar

Buying a house is easy, but making a home is not.
    I would like to see the housing system actual require you to get the proper material needed to build whichever type of building you want. There could also be an alternative to buy the building (Pay to have it made) but should cost more than if you were to find the materials and "build it yourself".
    I feel that the system to just buy a house or castle and it just pops up for $300,000 gold is a little outdated (lol) and it would be a great immersive experience to have the option to build something yourself on a plot of land you could claim or buy.

Any thoughts, ideas, or comments are always welcome.

2. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

I agree, I think this game should do away with the most simplistic building model. It would be great to see that building materials need to be brought to the lot and if the house isn't completely built by the next update, we'd see a partially house built on the lot. We might see just the foundation, or 4 wall and no roof. Anything is better than clicking on a pulldown menu and bingo!

Building homes might be a nice profession and it would certainly add to the economy to have to pay a player character to build it as well as pay other player characters for the materials.

3. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

I like this. Plenty of opportunities for tie-in quests too.

4. motiv

motiv Avatar

Quite like all of this. Needing materials and being able to pay for a master builder to build it!

perhaps you could somehow create the ability for a decorator to decorate, without being able to take anything off the premises :D

5. Viper0hr

Viper0hr Avatar

Great ideas.
    I also love the idea of there being a way to have characters with higher building levels or something to build better buildings.
    As for decorations it would be cool to see the ability to add a painting or sculpting feature to the game. It could be a form of skill or talent that as you get better you can make more clear work or larger works. This would allow people to make things in game to sell as decorations.
    I would really like to see some of these kinds of things added to this game since it's already trying to bring a change to the genre.

6. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

I like the idea of getting an automatic starter home, but the home upgrades having an element beyond just more money. You should have to collect the materials such as the wood and stone. That way we are supporting our crafting population.

7. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

Perhaps a very basic starter home which is NPC purchased, but much more expensive than the equivalent built house.

Some people like building things, not sure how SimTower did though.

8. Viper0hr

Viper0hr Avatar

The idea of base houses that need to be worked on to be upgraded would also be good/ BUT this would be already covered if you had the option to have your house built instead of collecting materials and building yourself. Also, I still want houses to cost money regardless, but by gathering materials and/or building yourself I think it should lower the cost significantly but should also take a good bit of time.

I mainly would like something like this because the idea of just buying a house and it being there is farfetched and overused in the industry. I agree with Richard Garriott's idea of being able to move your house (Using magic or technology to compact it somehow) but still feel very strongly that you should have to work for your initial home.

9. Garrett

Garrett Avatar

The house you build yourself is much more warmer to live in.
    So yeah, I'm with this idea. Was also thinking about it while was playing UO.

10. Revenant Shadow

Revenant Shadow Avatar

I spent a lot of time in building my house in UO. It was probably one of the funnest end game pastimes for me because I got to (1) show them the house I built and (2) show them all the junk I collected from my journeys. If I am required to actually go out and get the resources to build the house. I will most likely love my house even more! =)

11. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

Look at all the building that goes on in Minecraft. (Not that I want to see another Minecraft clone) But that style of gameplay draws a lot of interest.

12. smack

smack Avatar

I like this idea. If it's technically feasible, I'm all in. It would promote the profession, place more value on player crafting, and can introduce many interesting mechanics. Perhaps a master builder's houses will have less upkeep costs, for example. For those that just want to outright buy a house, they can skip all this but at the expense of other things (more upkeep, cost, etc).

13. Viper0hr

Viper0hr Avatar

Exactly Smack. The added immersion that could come from this would be awesome, especially since I fill that houses and forts will play a good roll in the game.

Also, love seeing another DnD style avatar!

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I really enjoy the Hearthfire expansion for Skyrim.. getting to build the house.. you collect the material, put in the foundation, the framework.. then the walls, doors etc.

Though I would like to see more variety. They basically stuck with a basic blueprint for the 'base' house then you get the option of 3 styles of 'wings' for each 'wing' of the house. I wouldn't mind seeing something along those lines but more versitile.

hmm.. there was another idea I wanted to put forth but now I can't remember..

15. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

If they do this I would like to be able to play as a builder and build peoples houses for them

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok I remember the other idea I was going to mention.. since sculptures and paintings were brought up.. I started a thread on those skills specifically here.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=artistic-skills-painting-sculpting

I believe RG is keen on painting and will probably not go for my painting idea.. which is fine. I think he has something in mind to allow people to do more original works. Maybe he wants to allow importing images or an actual painting interface in-game. I'm kinda interested to see what he has in mind.

17. Viper0hr

Viper0hr Avatar

Yeah Asguard, that's a good profession type that could come from this kind of build style.

18. Bzus

Bzus Design Lord SOTA Developer

Great comments. We have talked about having houses that can be built with materials but have not yet fully flushed it out.

19. Viper0hr

Viper0hr Avatar

Nice to have a Dev comment on the thread haha. I myself feel that a flushed out and polished version would be great if you had to collect materials and build the home (Maybe make it only take a real day to build) or hire someone to do it for them.

20. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

Thanks for your feedback B. While I know that there isn't time to address everyone's comments, it is nice to be reminded that the devs read these forums.

Chat is nice for real-time stuff, but I think a lot of good stuff gets lost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.