Way to get deeds !dea

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Jothyn, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jothyn

Jothyn Avatar

Housing is important to any one that played UO-online which i did You had stated 3 varied ways for housing know this would be a nightmare but do once a month. Monthly in rotation do one of the 3 ways if possible space wise. Set up lottery as a ticket tho not to high so reg people can afford and make it per account so someone can't by 50,000 Tickets and win(so the rich don't get richer *smurk*)
    Thanks for your time

2. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

The lottery will have to be done very carefully. A city lot could appeal to a person like a real lottery. If city deeds are going for say a $1000 ebay, people would throw a ton of gold at tickets.

On the one hand, this may be an ultimate goldsink to reduce world inflation. But the spirit of the lottery is to give a housing chance for those who dont have it. Here are some ideas

1. Lottery only available for housing level above what you have. That would leave all village lots open to people without houses. Also gives hopes to village and town owners

2. Tickets should have different pricing at each level. City lots are a luxury so should be high. Village should be low enough so all can partipate, but allow multiple tickets so that wealthier players without a home have more of a chance

3. smack

smack Avatar

If the spirit of the lottery is to enable new home owners a fair chance at owning property, then perhaps:

- only those accounts that don't have property are allowed to purchase
    - only one ticket per eligible account
    - ticket pricing dependent on value of type of lot
    - tickets are non-transferable

Granted, after the lottery is complete and a deed is rewarded, then the normal deed transfer rules would apply. As accounts can own multiple deeds but only one property, it would prohibit hoarding of lots by any one account.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Sitara

Sitara Avatar

i cringe a bit at the idea of a lottery system to obtain a home. however,i suppose if earning one the old fashioned way is also an option, a lottery option as well is not a bad idea as a second way to obtain deeds or plots. again, as long as there is that option.

the idea of simply being able to purchase the deed and the lot is the most appealing to me. it's important for immersion.

i think it's ok to have somewhat limited numbers of available plots throughout the world, thus making the plots worth more.. but there is possibly a significant number of people who simply won't want to play the game if they're not given a fair chance at earning home-ownership..

5. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I think there will be lots of trade and buying reselling. The problem might arise from people buying multiple accounts to 'game' in game property, but I doubt it.

If you add some systems to 'self-regulate' properties, we'll hopefully see houses as dynamic element. I think the guys have a vague outline, at least.

6. Strongsquirrel1

Strongsquirrel1 Avatar

If we can do a lottery or auction to acquire the property, I say if you are selling you could do a lottery or in game auction, in which a portion of the gold would go back into the game, to slow or stop inflation.

7. greaseDonkey

greaseDonkey Avatar

@Sitara

I agree with you, the lottery should be secondary and I to like the old system.

8. smack

smack Avatar

Let's assume for a moment that all housing in the game has been purchased and they want to create some new lots for all the potential new homeowners that are screaming for one.

Empty lots are created and released in-game, but you can't buy it. Instead, when you select the lot in-game, the only option is to buy a lottery ticket for it. The drawing for the lottery will happen some time later (end of day, or some number of days later, can be tweaked). This will give everyone ample time to get in the game, survey the lot, and choose the lot they'd like to try and win. The land rush option won't work for global players. I don't think you'd find it fair if they only enabled the empty lots in-game while you were sleeping or at work and can't play.

As with my suggestion for rules above, one ticket per person who doesn't already own property -- so you have to choose the lot you want. The higher the perceived value of the lot, the more likely it will have the highest number of tickets. Lesser ones, less tickets, but perhaps higher chance of winning it.

And to clarify, the lottery tickets will simply be the default in-game price of the lot that they choose to price it at, based on the lot type. It won't be like 1 gold piece to buy a City lot.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Sitara

Sitara Avatar

sounds a lot like /roll to me. i've had really bad experiences with /roll in other games. :p

10. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

If a lottery is to be used I think it should be quest related. I have mentioned this before, but it could easily be accomplished by an IG or IC mechanic. I used an example like this:

Lord British has lost the royal dogs. He announces that any that finds one the 5 dogs would be rewarded with a deed for the capital city. Clues could be hidden in conversations or in locations on the map that would be found gradually through out normal play. Either the first 5 people to find the location first spawn the dog, or the dog could randomly appear for a selection of the 5 people based on a query of qualified people (i.e. not home owners, etc.).

This can provide quests of skills or random lottery events to fairly distribute deeds.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I would like to see a lower tier of deeds that are not permanent. Basically deeds in player run towns / castles that simply ebb and flow with the landscape of war. When a faction conquers an area, there are a bunch of new deeds to hand out. But these will effectively vanish as the territory changes hands again.

Basically permanent housing comes from the cash shop. What's earned in game through guilds, RP and politics, PvP, etc. is temporary and can get wiped away by war.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.