house & vendor or servant idea

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Knight2, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight2

Knight2 Avatar

Start with house idea first, what do you think about a beach style house or house on stilts, so its more room n we could fish on our back deck. Or even a dock to park our boat at and go to our house.

Next I was thinking about setting a work schedule inside ur vendor and servant menu. To add realism during day and night cycle, you set up the vendor to work 9 to 5 or no more than 12 hours, during his off time he may go inside and sleep or whatever. If you want 24 hour vendor service, have a second one at opposite hours. It would add extra immersion and give the player a little more responsibly at their home. I'm excited for it.

I will post more if I think of them. Night

Thommygunn

2. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I would like a 24hr vendor, not a npc necessarily, think of a chip vending machine.

I would like the vendor be able to buy things that I have ordered for a specific price so players could sell me their ore/logs or whatever, to my vendor while I'm out playing (so long as my vendor has first at least 1 sample of it).

DavenRock likes this.
  3. Knight2

Knight2 Avatar

Actually I thought of that but didn't know how to articulate the idea to make it seem feasible. I would love to be able to sell my wares while im away from my computer, offline, or out adventuring or gathering my own materials. But at the same time if my Vendor had a sell option for only the items I select or care for it to buy, then other players can sell me the materials or equipment, make money from me and set me up for more crafting. Then we would truly be a 1 stop shop, if done right.

Thanks for bringing that up man!

4. 3Peso

3Peso Avatar

Is some word of mouth system for vendors planned? I mean, wouldn't it be helpful if, for example, a player buys a high prize sword form vendor A (speaks with vendor A) and then goes to vendor B and "speaks" with him about this greate sword he bought from vendor A. Then another player visits vendor B and asks him, if he (the vendor) knows of a vendor which sells these nice leather jackets ... ahm nice swords ^^ and the vendor says, yea there is this vendor in town Y.

Algorithmically I could imagine something like ants build their streets to give vendors reputation. I mean there certainly need to be vendors which are well know in all around the kingdom. So the more players buy swords from this vendors and the more well know (reputationwise) this vendor becomes, which would end with something like, "There is this greate vendor in the kindom to the west" and the nearer you come the more specific become the directions. Would also be some greate sort of mini game AND players would have insentives to see what other vendors have along their journey.

I mean, this would be better than, hey there is this web page with all the great vendors listed...not really role playing ^^

P.S.: Sorry for all the misspelled words and errors. Unfortunatly, english is not my mothertounge ^^

5. Grimkor

Grimkor Avatar

@Knight ThommyGunn

I like the idea of giving vendors a little personality, a little humanity. I think a time where they sleep would add a lot, or maybe they wander around during the day? A vendor at a blacksmith could use the forge or something that would look great.

I would be in favor of having a sleep schedule for vendors as long as you would be able to wake them up by knocking or something =P

@3Peso

I know there was talk of adding a Makers Mark type thing to crafted goods. I could see being able to easily make a name for yourself with those.

6. 3Peso

3Peso Avatar

Ok, makers mark is cool. But I am more thinking about a system supported, dynamic paper chase. Such a system could also be reused as textbased treasure hunting.

7. Knight2

Knight2 Avatar

@Grimkor: Yes that's exactly what I was thinking, you nailed it, sleep, wander throughout their off time, just to give more population to the area. But I also like your idea, if someone were to come up to the steps of the house or shop and say something like "Vendor" he wakes up and comes outside to sell, could also be kinda cool. Unless someone runs all over down and says that at every house just to pull them out and break the immersion ;)

8. The Captain

The Captain Avatar

Vendor and servants should be able to learn dialogue from their employers. Forgive me if someone has suggested this already but I didn't pull any posts from a few forum keyword searches. Dialogue has been a critical element of all Ultima games -- what better way to personalize your house servants and house than with a different set of messages to deliver to customers and visitors? From this alone we also get the foundation for player driven quests -- or even just requests! Ask "Quest" from my servant and he'll tell you his master bids you travel to Yew and procure a scroll and bring back for a reward. Or just ask trivia questions, now we have 1000's of SotA Siri's...

9. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Looking at the knights house + servant reward, I would want the following:

It sounds like village houses are garden heavy. I would expect the servant to harvest and replant, shear sheep, or whatever daily "chores" need to be done. I would expect that I couldn't go hungry in the house because meals would be prepared.

I have no idea how crafting will work. But I can imagine if there are "level 1" crafting skills which are time intensive, like it taking hours to turn wool into cloth or prepare some reagents, the servant can work on those during the day.

10. ND3G

ND3G Avatar

I think we should have the option of placing our KS exclusive special vendors at the bazaar instead of our houses. I have a feeling that the bazaars are going to be much more popular destinations than individual homes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.